• March 29, 2024, 12:22:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our new HOME!!!

These ARE the TUNAs you seek...

CHECK OUT our site, BECOME a member, JOIN our "EVNETS", and RACE with us...

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: "Light" On track contact  (Read 4291 times)

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
Re: "Light" On track contact
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 07:09:16 PM »

Most of these comments are what make me proud to race with you guys. Thank you.

Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 08:05:26 PM »

I don't see nothing wrong with a little bump and grind.

Wizard. Finally got it. You're an R. Kelly fan. It all makes sense now.

Dave Chappelle - Piss on You

Boston77Bruins

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 08:12:51 PM »

Vindictive  (vin-dik'tiv) adj. [<lat. vindicta, vengeance<vindicare, to avenge.]  1.Inclined to seek revenge:REVENGEFUL.  2.Meant to cause pain or harm : SPITEFUL<vindictive remarks>-vin-dic'tively adv.  -vin-dic-tiveness n.

Sorry for misreading.

I will hold on to my belief that talking would have been the better thing to do.  As it is now, I am done with the conversation.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 08:21:02 PM »

I don't see nothing wrong with a little bump and grind.

Wizard. Finally got it. You're an R. Kelly fan. It all makes sense now.

Dave Chappelle - Piss on You

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 09:22:23 AM »

I'm old school, I still abide by my version of the old GT5P open room philosophy that was discussed to great length on the Sony forums.

1. Contact between consenting adults is ok, just keep it to yourselves and don't assume everyone races that way.
2. Race rules encouraging contact is ok and when appropriate, encouraged.
3. All other forms of contact light/heavy or otherwise is unacceptable and should be avoided.

We all make mistakes. Especially in the limited environment of a video game. Contact will happen, we all do it.
When contact happens:
1. If you wreck the person, pull over at a safe and appropriate time and give the spot back.
2. If you don't wreck the person but take a position in a questionable way, give the spot back at the next appropriate time.

Where to stop/give back spots:
1. Way off the racing line on straights
2. Pit road
3. use run off areas that do not affect the flow of the race.
4. Do NOT stop/slow down on the racing line, while in the middle of a pack, or in turns.
5. DO get out of peoples way first.

When these options are not available
1. Apologize through available communication resources
2. Correct the situation in the next race. (not revenge)

If a person makes a mistake and does not make up for it, its best to call them out. It's possible the person may not be aware that they did something wrong. We all use different driving views and controllers and simply cannot feel or see everything that happens. If need be resolve it in private chat.

Pay Back or "taking someone out" is unacceptable. If your at that point park/leave the race, take a break and remember its a game and we are all here to have fun.

Race clean, race hard and let the duck win.  ;)

and in the words of Forrest Gump: "That’s all I got to say about that" 

Brindle

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 09:29:46 AM »

Contact is a touchy concept (Yeah, I went there 8) ),Ironic that I should be posting in this thread as I am notorious for putting my self in situations for incidental and sometimes intentional contact. There are way too many forms of contact found on the race way, the hard part is telling the what is what. Telling what is intentional and uncalled for, intentional and appropriate, intentional for fun, Intentional for communication, unintentional mistake on their part, unintentional on ones own fault, just to name a few is tough at best. The only way to learn this is through experience. That said about 90 to 95% of all contact among the Tunas is unintentional.

Incidental contact, it happens, and it happens a lot at least for me it does. You have all heard exchanged between me and someone else who bumped me in a corner..."Sorry Ronin" "I'm alive, it's all good" and you know what...it is all good, it tells me people are trying and willing to admit an oops as long as it's in moderation. When you are oopsing in every corner and a couple of straights....then we have an issue.

That 5 to 10% of intentional contact that I have seen is all most all ways all in good fun and goes to improve our racing experience. I love contact when it's all in good fun. Lets say for example you are side by side on the final lap approaching the finish line and you decide it's be fun to grind the door handled of your car and the one next to you....That's awesome, Eggs and I did this the other night, we finished 0:00.003 seconds apart...as allstar would say...."Pure..Adrenaline" and this was a race for forth and fifth of six I think it was. I will admit too there have been a couple times where I know I have made some intentional contact with a little more vindictive intent for lack of a better phrase. One notable incident, one of our better drivers made a bone headed move and crowded me off the track with an uncharacteristic dive and I got no apology. I belted him for it, didn't damage his race any but it made a fuck of a lot of noise and I got my apology.

When it comes to getting belted into the fairway bunkers and the other guy just keeps going....I have no problem saying something. I don't say names because who ever did it knows who they are but yeah, I'm sure a hand full of yall have heard me say the words, "Yeah, I got fucking belted".

For those instances that have been mentioned where some one pulls over for a little door grinding thinking it was unnecessary....If we are bumping and rubbing and I am still right there, don't worry about it. Take that spot or die trying because I intend to try to keep it or die trying. What I prefer over just pulling over after contact is just run your race and if someone suddenly drops off or wrecks in close proximity to you, keep going but ask. "Was that my doing?", "Did we get together back there?", It goes a lot further than just driving off or pulling over "Just in case". If I screw up in close proximity to someone and crash on my own, I'll admit it. On the reverse, if it was someone else's fault and they ask, I'll say so generally in a fairly calm manor. If I wreck wile racing for position and I am enjoying the battle, I'm generally more than willing to let it go, contact induced or not.

See what I mean about good info in other drivers Stepper?   ;)

RoninTuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 09:47:09 AM »

Contact is a touchy concept (Yeah, I went there 8) ),Ironic that I should be posting in this thread as I am notorious for putting my self in situations for incidental and sometimes intentional contact. There are way too many forms of contact found on the race way, the hard part is telling the what is what. Telling what is intentional and uncalled for, intentional and appropriate, intentional for fun, Intentional for communication, unintentional mistake on their part, unintentional on ones own fault, just to name a few is tough at best. The only way to learn this is through experience. That said about 90 to 95% of all contact among the Tunas is unintentional.

Incidental contact, it happens, and it happens a lot at least for me it does. You have all heard exchanged between me and someone else who bumped me in a corner..."Sorry Ronin" "I'm alive, it's all good" and you know what...it is all good, it tells me people are trying and willing to admit an oops as long as it's in moderation. When you are oopsing in every corner and a couple of straights....then we have an issue.

That 5 to 10% of intentional contact that I have seen is all most all ways all in good fun and goes to improve our racing experience. I love contact when it's all in good fun. Lets say for example you are side by side on the final lap approaching the finish line and you decide it's be fun to grind the door handled of your car and the one next to you....That's awesome, Eggs and I did this the other night, we finished 0:00.003 seconds apart...as allstar would say...."Pure..Adrenaline" and this was a race for forth and fifth of six I think it was. I will admit too there have been a couple times where I know I have made some intentional contact with a little more vindictive intent for lack of a better phrase. One notable incident, one of our better drivers made a bone headed move and crowded me off the track with an uncharacteristic dive and I got no apology. I belted him for it, didn't damage his race any but it made a fuck of a lot of noise and I got my apology.

When it comes to getting belted into the fairway bunkers and the other guy just keeps going....I have no problem saying something. I don't say names because who ever did it knows who they are but yeah, I'm sure a hand full of yall have heard me say the words, "Yeah, I got fucking belted".

For those instances that have been mentioned where some one pulls over for a little door grinding thinking it was unnecessary....If we are bumping and rubbing and I am still right there, don't worry about it. Take that spot or die trying because I intend to try to keep it or die trying. What I prefer over just pulling over after contact is just run your race and if someone suddenly drops off or wrecks in close proximity to you, keep going but ask. "Was that my doing?", "Did we get together back there?", It goes a lot further than just driving off or pulling over "Just in case". If I screw up in close proximity to someone and crash on my own, I'll admit it. On the reverse, if it was someone else's fault and they ask, I'll say so generally in a fairly calm manor. If I wreck wile racing for position and I am enjoying the battle, I'm generally more than willing to let it go, contact induced or not.

See what I mean about good info in other drivers Stepper?   ;)

I think you are one of the few people who can truly understand that one 

I survived the Great PSN outage of 2011

RoninTuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »

Vindictive  (vin-dik'tiv) adj. [<lat. vindicta, vengeance<vindicare, to avenge.]  1.Inclined to seek revenge:REVENGEFUL.  2.Meant to cause pain or harm : SPITEFUL<vindictive remarks>-vin-dic'tively adv.  -vin-dic-tiveness n.

Sorry for misreading.

I will hold on to my belief that talking would have been the better thing to do.  As it is now, I am done with the conversation.

Sorry Boston, I know you said you are done with the conversation, but I am just trying to clarify so everyone can better understand. This thread is a prime example of why (at least for me) talking is not all ways the best course of action. When I speak, I say what is on my mind and I don't think any one will disagree that does on occasion cause more trouble than it fixes. In fact I was reprimanded for that yesterday. My on track code of conduct is difficult at best to put into words that everyone can understand. Especially with instances like this one here where my words by all outward appearance seem contradictory to what you have come to know of me by racing against me on the track. Somethings I neglected to mention pertaining to the incontinent I outlined, the driver I smacked, went on to win that one make sprint race at Autumn ring mini despite my retaliatory poke. It was also almost a year ago, this does not happen often, that is half of the reason why I remember it so clearly.

When you race at the level that all most all of us race at you don't all ways need words to express your self on the raceway. I am not afraid to cus some one up one side and down the other but we are a family here and you don't cus your brother up one side and down the other. Ya smack him upside the head, call him a dumbass and move on, at least that how my brothers and I grew up. Sometimes those non verbal exchanges relay the more appropriate message where words will only fan the flames. I'm not going to turn someone inside out for a momentary laps of judgment but on the same note I feel obligated to inform someone that they did something wrong if they have not all ready acknowledged it. I think everyone here wants to know when they have rubbed someone the wrong way, Correct? Had I opened my mouth it would have been a cus fest resulting in one or both of us getting really pissed off and leaving and possibly never sharing a track together again, but what really happened was Brindle was an experienced enough driver to understand the words that did not come out of my mouth and we continued to race with no further incident.

I do not draw my sword without good reason, in fact the only time any tuna has seen me really draw my sword was during that little training exorcize we called a demolition derby where I threw baked at the pack and took out everyone 

I believe that rubbing is a part of racing, I also have come to the conclusion that over concentration on avoiding contact is holding some of us back, This threads existence leads me to believe I am not alone. Forgive me if I am incorrect in this assumption, but the point of this thread is to discuss the point of raceway contact. So we can see exactly where each and everyone draws the line between racing incident, poor judgement and pure malicious intent so we can make better decisions on when contact is excusable vs. when stopping and giving the spot back is in order. Malicious intent is not an issue here so I simply explained my thoughts on racing incidents and poor judgments with some examples and touched base on malicious intent just to be through. Now that I have said more than I prolly should have I'm going to let this go and hope I have not made the confusion even worse.

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 01:10:29 PM »

I do not draw my sword without good reason, in fact the only time any tuna has seen me really draw my sword was during that little training exorcize we called a demolition derby where I threw baked at the pack and took out everyone 

:huh   Oh yeah.  I remember that night.  {swims sheepishly away...  then comes back.}

OUCH!  You killed my iddy biddy car.    :laugh

RoninTuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 01:37:44 PM »

Oh yeah.  I remember that night.  {swims sheepishly away...  then comes back.}

OUCH!  You killed my iddy biddy car.    :laugh

Yeah, that was good fun, we'll have to do that again some time.

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 02:32:21 PM »

I would say that 80% of the contact I make with other drivers is light contact through slow turns that has no effect on either of us.  Another 10% is usually when I'm going through a turn with another driver (me on the inside) and I understeer into his line.  Again light contact but due to the nature of the turns it can sometimes cause the other driver to be pushed off course  :(

That other 10% is when I'm going OMFGWTF and lose control of the car and inadvertently take someone out.

I always try to pay attention to what effect my bump had on the other car and apologize every time even if there's no negative outcome.  Heck sometimes it's not my fault but by speaking up I intend to let the other driver know I'm not trying to be too aggressive.

Granted, I'm human so occasionally I might forget to apologize.  It's usually in an instance where I'm trying to regain car control or am unaware I hit someone (if I'm making contact with multiple cars in a spin out).  It's not my intention to not say something.  I always intend to! :'(

PSN ID = dawson864

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 05:11:57 PM »

Something else to consider regarding contact is "did the other person even feel it" or "do they realise there was contact".  I personally have had a couple (albeit few and far between) of incidents when I had no feeling in the controller or visual cue that I had made contact with someone but the other person definitely did.

I had a bump like that at La Sarthe once at a Tuna event (I think it was Ronin, but not certain), we both pulled out to overtake in the draft but I was coming up faster from a ways back.  I swerved and didn't feel / see any contact but they did and felt it hard, when I checked my replay there was no actual contact to see but the other car shot off like a sneezed lozenge (or a car that took an almighty draft bump) so I think my connection had a tiny lag spike causing the game to not register my extra actions.

I usually try to acknowledge any contact I make, even if it's just "oops sorry for the tap" kind of thing, but that time I didn't because I didn't think there was any.  We got it figured out though no problems, but it may be something worth considering that the other person may not have even known there was contact as it might be caused by a brief lag fart.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »

... the other car shot off like a sneezed lozenge...

"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 06:12:52 PM »

Gesundheit!  :bless

RoninTuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 06:16:56 PM »