SupaTunaGT

• April 29, 2024, 04:20:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 58   Go Down

Author Topic: GT Academy  (Read 70803 times)

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
Re: GT Academy
« Reply #795 on: April 21, 2015, 03:35:11 PM »

Since Japan is in this year, maybe we should root for samurai_405. He's been around a long time.  ^-^

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #796 on: April 21, 2015, 09:56:21 PM »

No Canadians again.

I checked with PDI again and this time I got somewhat of an answer - the choice of who gets to participate is up to NISSAN, not PDI. In fact, the way it was worded led me to believe that NISSAN could use other racing sims to do that same thing. It's PDI's product that is being used as the medium for the program.

So if anyone has contacts with NISSAN, maybe we can get an answer as to why Canadians were dropped.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #797 on: April 21, 2015, 10:55:46 PM »

Academy is most likely simply run by a marketing firm.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #798 on: April 22, 2015, 07:17:58 PM »

I really dislike Silverstone. Ran 3 laps, Bronze on the first one, invalid on the next two. Shutdown it down, switched over to GTA V and shot some people in the face.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #799 on: April 22, 2015, 08:16:40 PM »

I really dislike Silverstone. Ran 3 laps, Bronze on the first one, invalid on the next two. Shutdown it down, switched over to GTA V and shot some people in the face.

I like Silverstone but over the years PD has stuffed Nissan down our throats not that I was terribly fond of bloated all wheel drive cars to begin with. And this GTR for the opening round feels fat and with the AWD it just feels like it is not very light on it's feet. I did my time in it can move on to next round when it opens. But we are likely to just get something similar so I probably will be un-enthused then too. Tonight instead of trying to whittle my 2:08.3 down to a more respectable time I fired up A Corsa and ran the Radical at Mid Ohio with nothing more to gain from it than the sheer joy of enjoying the drive. Got out of the rig happy as a clam.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #800 on: April 22, 2015, 08:39:40 PM »

I like Silverstone but over the years PD has stuffed Nissan down our throats not that I was terribly fond of bloated all wheel drive cars to begin with. And this GTR for the opening round feels fat and with the AWD it just feels like it is not very light on it's feet. I did my time in it can move on to next round when it opens. But we are likely to just get something similar so I probably will be un-enthused then too. Tonight instead of trying to whittle my 2:08.3 down to a more respectable time I fired up A Corsa and ran the Radical at Mid Ohio with nothing more to gain from it than the sheer joy of enjoying the drive. Got out of the rig happy as a clam.

Nissan GT Academy. Plus it is all run by the Marketing division. You know. (insert Blazing Saddles pie video reference here) The marketing division of any company are usually high paid and know absolutely nothing about the actual product or service they are hawking at the time. It is just typical sales hype.

For that reason I think we should understand and relax. Don't let it bother you, but if you just can't seem to let the angst go, then by all means you should be sending middle finger Instagram pic's @ somebodywhocares@nissan.com

Yes I know that addy don't wok or work. I think for you and me the world has changed. It is not what it should or was or could have been. It now, is what it is.

The reality is Nissan hires a marketing firm and away it goes, gone. And here we are.  ^-^     
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 08:51:44 PM by DudeTuna »

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #801 on: April 22, 2015, 11:12:11 PM »

Yup, it is what it is. I know I will never get to England and only want to stay near the top of my friends list. I have fast friends, so I won't be first there, either.

Get my money, get some needed miles in, stay happy.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #802 on: April 23, 2015, 07:23:31 AM »

the car selection (in the past) has been more than just marketing, except for the obvious fact that they stick to Nissan cars.  They also seem to have something specific to teach drivers in each academy round, and the car fits with what they wish to teach.

The tests seem to be a series of "well, can you drive like this?  And this, and this?  Okay, maybe we'd be interested in putting you in a real car..."

This is part of the reason we see shittier tires and car setups that don't "jive" very well with some players.  It's a test of what you can handle and still shave off time week after week.  That's the kind of thing they are looking for in the National Finals too - to improve a bit over the week, and to have all situations thrown at the driver to test them.

To me, there is engineering of a race driver happening at every stage/round of Academy.  Sure, the marketers have their say, but the race division of Nissan clearly has refined their methods because I don't think they've been entirely happy with the graduates 100% of the time.  They want a better chance of having THE race driver of the future emerge from the program, and not just flash the Nissan symbol on everything.  Though, both are complimentary ;)

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #803 on: April 23, 2015, 10:33:54 AM »

Yup, it is what it is. I know I will never get to England and only want to stay near the top of my friends list. I have fast friends, so I won't be first there, either.

Get my money, get some needed miles in, stay happy.

I guess for me I could never be happy with GT Academy as long as Nissan is the primary sponsor. In real life if someone gave me $50,000 and said I could either buy a car or use it as the down payment on a car but it could only be used for a car. I would not consider for a single second anything from Nissan. The only car from them that holds even the remotest interest from me is the 370Z. Most of what they make is either too pedestrian, who remembers the Leaf challenge last year, or too heavy and impure of driving experience. Is it amazing that they can get a car so large to perform the way it does? Yes but it lacks appeal to the driver in me. This article about the new Miata expresses it better than I can. Back to my main point which is there is little from Nissan that excites the driver in me. So to get through a series of challenges with only their products is little to no fun. I have done fairly decent at recent time trial challenges and managed to find some fun even when the car, track or tire choice is not to my liking. But these Academy ones go so against the grain for me that I cannot get past it.

Not that I ever thought I could be one of the top performers anyhow and even if that were possible  I do not think anyone is looking for a heavy middle aged guy to start a new career in auto racing. But I wished I could at least find some enjoyment to them. As it stands unless another manufacturer were the sponsor I don't see it as a possibility.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #804 on: April 23, 2015, 11:19:13 AM »

Academy is a strange one this year. It seems rather than excitement from world participants they have managed to invoke anger. 

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #805 on: April 23, 2015, 11:45:09 AM »

Academy is a strange one this year. It seems rather than excitement from world participants they have managed to invoke anger.

Or perhaps general lack of interest.  This may be the first year that I don't participate at all. I don't necessarily care that its all Nissan's given its really their event not PD's.  But, I'd prefer to do just about anything in GT6 over driving a GTR at Silverstone or any other track for that matter....

That reminds me I guess its about time I broke down and finished those hit the cone events. Hmmm might as well attempt the drift stuff while I'm at it.  Or on second thought maybe I'll just go dig a hole in Minecraft.

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #806 on: April 23, 2015, 11:56:59 AM »

I am not angry but I cannot speak for others nor have I read too many other reactions outside of the Tunaverse. And to be fair I have felt this way most years as Nissans have not held appeal for me since they were called Datsuns.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #807 on: April 23, 2015, 12:13:47 PM »

I am not angry but I cannot speak for others nor have I read too many other reactions outside of the Tunaverse. And to be fair I have felt this way most years as Nissans have not held appeal for me since they were called Datsuns.

Yes I was speaking of all the negative posts at the planet. 

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #808 on: April 23, 2015, 02:49:34 PM »

let's not forget, that Nissan is going to want to find drivers who can deal with all of this marketing, corporate bullshit.  Maybe part of the plan?  Possibly.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #809 on: May 19, 2015, 01:57:07 PM »

Anyone driven the LMP2 yet?
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 58   Go Up