SupaTunaGT

• April 29, 2024, 10:53:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible... "Petite LeMans" 4 to 6HR  (Read 2391 times)

Brindle

Possible... "Petite LeMans" 4 to 6HR
« on: June 02, 2012, 04:05:55 PM »

Last night, I had a chat with Ballistic and he mentioned wanting to do some evnet that requires team communication.  He proposes all participants "mute" each other, except for their teamate/s.  This brought on it being usefull for ovals, or enduros, where information between teamates "kept in private" may benefit.

Then all hell broke loose.  I was remembering how Baked always said he would love to have a timing monitor wile in the pits, just like F1.  Well, a light bulb went off...  What if we ran another enduro with the same format as my last one (all participants on track taking turns), but this time we add an extra team member to act as "spotter" by "watching" the race instead of driving in it.

We wanted to get an idea before we went any further as to the interest in this idea of a "spotter" that doesn't race.  The format can be either 5 teams of 3 (2 drivers, 1 spotter) which give 5 people on track at any given time, or 3 teams of 5 (4 drivers, 1 spotter, 2 teammates on track at the same time) which gives 6 people on track at any given time.

What ya'll think?

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
Re: Possible... "Petite LeMans" 4 to 6HR
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 04:14:01 PM »

I like the idea of teammates muting everyone else so only they can talk to each other... but I'm wondering what a spotter would actually do?

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 06:07:07 PM »

RoninTuna

• Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 09:10:49 PM »

Last night, I had a chat with Ballistic and he mentioned wanting to do some evnet that requires team communication.  He proposes all participants "mute" each other, except for their teamate/s.  This brought on it being usefull for ovals, or enduros, where information between teamates "kept in private" may benefit.

Then all hell broke loose.  I was remembering how Baked always said he would love to have a timing monitor wile in the pits, just like F1.  Well, a light bulb went off...  What if we ran another enduro with the same format as my last one (all participants on track taking turns), but this time we add an extra team member to act as "spotter" by "watching" the race instead of driving in it.

We wanted to get an idea before we went any further as to the interest in this idea of a "spotter" that doesn't race.  The format can be either 5 teams of 3 (2 drivers, 1 spotter) which give 5 people on track at any given time, or 3 teams of 5 (4 drivers, 1 spotter, 2 teammates on track at the same time) which gives 6 people on track at any given time.

What ya'll think?
Well...I like the element of realism this would bring but I honestly believe you'll be hard pressed to find people willing to simply spectate a 4 to six hour race. Additionally, PD hasn't really given us the greatest views to really utilize spotters to the fullest. A lot of tracks have blind spots and you can't use any other views during online spectator mode.

As for the Mute all but team mates, I love it.

I like the idea of teammates muting everyone else so only they can talk to each other... but I'm wondering what a spotter would actually do?

It may be a little hard to see at the moment because we have open communication with other drivers and are accustomed to it. Take that communication away and the world stands on it's head. Run in a room with the mic disabled for a wile and you find your self wishing you had some one to tell you "car high", "Car low", "Clear" and so on and so fourth.

Yeah, sorry about the unannounced move, I was in a hurry to get onto the track when I moved it. Threads like this one are exactly why I asked Charlie to put this subforum in for.

I survived the Great PSN outage of 2011

Metal

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • LeMans & F1 :P
    • HUGS Gaming Community
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 06:34:03 AM »

That sounds pretty cool, and you know i'm all about the enduros... I do agree that it would kinda suck to be there for 4-6 hrs doing nothing but spectating. However, i do like the team idea, and the 2 drivers working together on track is an additional layer that is super cool IMO. Side question - for cars, was this going to be unrestricted, or using 2-3 classes?

Is this thing on?
my gt profile: http://www.mygranturismo.net/33187
Youtube Channel: http://youtube.com/powermettle1520

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 08:17:01 AM »

Well...I like the element of realism this would bring but I honestly believe you'll be hard pressed to find people willing to simply spectate a 4 to six hour race. Additionally, PD hasn't really given us the greatest views to really utilize spotters to the fullest. A lot of tracks have blind spots and you can't use any other views during online spectator mode.

As for the Mute all but team mates, I love it.
Yeah... I don't think I'd be willing to watch a 1-2 hour race, much less 4-6. Shit, I don't think I'd be able to RUN a 4-6 hour race.

It may be a little hard to see at the moment because we have open communication with other drivers and are accustomed to it. Take that communication away and the world stands on it's head. Run in a room with the mic disabled for a wile and you find your self wishing you had some one to tell you "car high", "Car low", "Clear" and so on and so fourth.

I can only see this being helpful at DSS and Indy. At any other track the cars get so spread out so quick that it would be just cruel to make someone sit there and watch it... and I'm pretty sure I can run with other cars at tracks like Grand Valley (or anywhere) without someone telling me there is a car next to me.

But I still really like the idea of two people being able to communicate (and plot) against everyone else. Maybe there's a way to do a race (or even some kind of game within a race) that involves IMMENSE strategy and villainous plotting.

Brindle

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 09:30:06 AM »

Guess I should have asked permission before posting this.   :(

Metal

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • LeMans & F1 :P
    • HUGS Gaming Community
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 09:44:32 AM »

I don't see anything wrong with the post, i believe it was just an effort to keep the posts organized :) i like the thought process that this has brought up!

Is this thing on?
my gt profile: http://www.mygranturismo.net/33187
Youtube Channel: http://youtube.com/powermettle1520

RoninTuna

• Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 09:51:23 AM »

Requesting permission is not necessary, I am not trying to monopolize the endurance section of the forums. I am merely trying to keep an organization style where races that are committed to calender are front and center and easiest to find wile discussions as to how to put races together are still publicly available. This is intended to prevent the main section from getting cluttered up with races that get dropped during the formatting stage of development as well as to make it easier for users to make some format suggestions even if they don't want to actually create an endurance race of their own.

By all means, create threads and races. I want to see this section being used by more people, the relocation of the thread was nothing against you or your format suggestions, it was just putting it into the section created for it is all.

I survived the Great PSN outage of 2011

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 12:10:10 PM »

First, I think that this site has way to many forums and subforums.  There's probably as many forums as people who regularly post here.

The idea of having a pit crew to watch the race and direct strategy is pretty cool.  I remember one of the GT300 races from the first series (I don't win many races so they are easy to remember :'().  I pitted earlier than the leaders and came out of the pit in fourtd or fivst.  Brindle was in first and didn't see that I was rapidly catching up since GT only states the gap to second place.  By the time he pitted, it was too late.   A spotter could have been monitoring all the racers, kept track of lap times and pit strategies and tire wear.  The spotter would have seen me getting closer and could have directed Brindle to pit earlier.  The idea of having someone spectating and directing strategy is pretty cool but I do think it would be kind of boring as well.

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 06:42:04 PM »

Instead of teams exactly, what about having one or two people as observers, ready to answer questions, advise drivers of obstructions (crashes), other race details as requested. There may some guidelines put in place, but it could be pretty open.

Having four teams means four people are willing to sit and watch how much racing? Blah blah just my thoughts

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • "Global Peace Through Deadly Force"
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 06:30:07 AM »

First, I think that this site has way to many forums and subforums.  There's probably as many forums as people who regularly post here.

The idea of having a pit crew to watch the race and direct strategy is pretty cool.  I remember one of the GT300 races from the first series (I don't win many races so they are easy to remember :'().  I pitted earlier than the leaders and came out of the pit in fourtd or fivst.  Brindle was in first and didn't see that I was rapidly catching up since GT only states the gap to second place.  By the time he pitted, it was too late.   A spotter could have been monitoring all the racers, kept track of lap times and pit strategies and tire wear.  The spotter would have seen me getting closer and could have directed Brindle to pit earlier.  The idea of having someone spectating and directing strategy is pretty cool but I do think it would be kind of boring as well.

I was just thinking it could put a fun spin on things. I could also see where it may get boring. But spotting for 2 drivers and also reporting conditions on the rest of the field could be fun. I sat for 45 minutes once during races and did nothing but watch the live timer. Wasn't a long race, maybe 20 laps I think but was cool changing from driver to driver. Anyway I don't see it happening so If I could I would delete this whole thread. And I totally agree with you Doc. Way to many sub forums. I stopped reading many things because I couldn't find them half the time.
"Move this don't move that cant you read the signs?"

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 08:49:22 AM »

I was just thinking it could put a fun spin on things. I could also see where it may get boring. But spotting for 2 drivers and also reporting conditions on the rest of the field could be fun. I sat for 45 minutes once during races and did nothing but watch the live timer. Wasn't a long race, maybe 20 laps I think but was cool changing from driver to driver. Anyway I don't see it happening so If I could I would delete this whole thread. And I totally agree with you Doc. Way to many sub forums. I stopped reading many things because I couldn't find them half the time.
"Move this don't move that cant you read the signs?"

It's a cool idea that has some merit so it deserves to be discussed.  It could be fun.  There are definitely aspects that appeal to me.  Though it would be better if PD had better telemetry.  Most races we run need some sort of tire strategy even the shorter midnight event races.  It would be cool if you also needed a fuel strategy and had the telemetry to see how much fuel you were using.  Being able to adjust your starting fuel load would be good.  Anything to add to the strategy would make being the pit crew more interesting.  Managing tire wear, fuel consumption, scheduling pit stops could be fun maybe even add some weather.  Really that's what b-spec should have been about not pushing a button telling your driver to go faster.

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 09:15:03 AM »

I like a lot of what I've read in this thread.  However a few things:

-I think a 4-6 hour race would be a bit boring if there are no more than 5 cars on track at any given time.  Given higher participation (10ish) I would be all about a race that length
-muting all drivers but your teammate sounds like a neat idea and could help strategy a lot I think.

PSN ID = dawson864

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • "Global Peace Through Deadly Force"
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 09:56:31 AM »

I like a lot of what I've read in this thread.  However a few things:

-I think a 4-6 hour race would be a bit boring if there are no more than 5 cars on track at any given time.  Given higher participation (10ish) I would be all about a race that length
-muting all drivers but your teammate sounds like a neat idea and could help strategy a lot I think.
I was thinking (5) 3 man teams. 2 drivers and the crew chief. 15 total. But it still might not work with all 15 mics being used. Maybe a trial race or sometime? All cars on the track at once or like it was done with Brindle's evnet. Depending on total laps, split them up between drivers with the last drive stint running the extra lap? Only the race team would know the stint length. Plenty of time for brakes between stints for all drivers. Or something like that :-\ Hell I ain't no good with this shit :laugh My first thought was to run all cars together and add total finishing points of team to determin the winners.
Pages: [1]   Go Up