SupaTunaGT

• April 28, 2024, 02:18:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Around here we're just FAST enough to have FUN.

Race FAST!  Race HARD!!  Race CLEAN!!!   Have FUN!!!!

Long line Tunas!!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Oval Championship any one?  (Read 2093 times)

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
Oval Championship any one?
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:55:22 AM »

... and I don't necessarily mean NASCARP.  

I have no firm plans, right now I'm just fishing for comments, suggestions, criticisms and ideas or perhaps inspire a better evnet organizer.

I've been thing about his for a while and to date it's not really been all that practical of an idea with only 2 real ovals and the uber-snoozer oval Route X. But now that Twin Ring Motegi has been added to the mix. I'm starting to think this may be doable. Here is what I've got so far.

1 Championship based on best 4 of 5 finishes, 5 races each under two hours long at the following tracks but not necessarily in the posted order, with perhaps a once a month or biweekly evnet and photo session schedule.

7/13 Updated with corrected race order and lap counts
1. Daytona Oval - 100 laps
2. Motegi Oval - 167 laps
3. Indy Oval - 100 laps
4. Route X - 12 laps
5. ???  - Still Needs testing.

Double file rolling starts, heavy damage, weak draft and standard tuna type cautions.

As for cars??? I've got several ideas.  Obviously NASCARP, but I'm not very fond of the cup cars we have access to. Other options could be a ~1,000kg/600hp F-GT, Camaro RM's kinda like IROC (I think Ronin suggested this once) or some other spec car, Group C cars, or it might even be fun to run an extremely nerfed X2010. I'm totally open to ideas.

Let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 07:24:37 PM by dlrws6 »

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
Re: Oval Championship any one?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 12:24:49 PM »

Has Boston seen this?

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 05:12:09 PM »

I looked the other night for the motegi oval and was unable to find it. Granted I was pretty drunk at the time so it may actually be there.

I'd like to see the group c cars.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 05:13:40 PM by DudeTuna »

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 08:36:29 PM »

I looked the other night for the motegi oval and was unable to find it.

It's only 1.5 miles long...   :(   

Look up near the top of your track list.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 08:42:56 AM »

ah ok

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 11:40:01 AM »

Were you hoping for another 2+ mile track?

I'm actually kind of thank full its not. Still I'd prefer a proper half mile or 1 mile oval.

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 11:48:05 AM »

Were you hoping for another 2+ mile track?

:nods

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 04:53:50 PM »

An interesting idea hit me...these cars could get similar HP and kg numbers...same era cars. Big three.
Mustang SVT Cobra R (standard)
Viper GTS (there's a standard and a premium)
Vette (C5) (there's a standard and a premium)

Any other thing that might work  - I did a little testing at IRC - is the RM match up of the Z06, TVR, and RX7 TC. It would require more oval testing though.

I personally don't think a short created track would fit in with ovals. HSR would be more appropriate. It is possible to make long high speed tracks with just a few high-medium speed corners and a pit lane (Toscana - tarmac)

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 07:51:28 PM »

An interesting idea hit me...these cars could get similar HP and kg numbers...same era cars. Big three.
Mustang SVT Cobra R (standard)
Viper GTS (there's a standard and a premium)
Vette (C5) (there's a standard and a premium)

Any other thing that might work  - I did a little testing at IRC - is the RM match up of the Z06, TVR, and RX7 TC. It would require more oval testing though.

I personally don't think a short created track would fit in with ovals. HSR would be more appropriate. It is possible to make long high speed tracks with just a few high-medium speed corners and a pit lane (Toscana - tarmac)

Those are pretty good ideas.  I'll have to play around with them.  I'm also noodling with the idea of using the premium Mustang, Camaro and Challenger. I think either the vintage or the current genrations of these cars could be balanced fairly easy with each other. And it would be some what historically accurate, for a brief time in the 70s there was a pony car oval series.

I see your point about the short track and I also have multiple concerns with it. Especially If we were to go with high horse power cars like the Group C cars.  I'll set a sample short track to my favorites next time I log in. If any one wants to try it out and give me your thoughts. 

I've got a little bit of spare time thanks to the holiday this week and I hope to do some testing.

Grilled Tuna

• Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 05:47:03 PM »

I'd be interested in this for sure. a whole bunch of cars packed within 2-3 tenths where 1 mistake can wreck the whole field sounds like a blast to me(I might even learn a few new phrases:P).

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 01:21:27 AM »

I may have a couple of  high speed "oval" created tracks.  I know I have a pretty decent kart one; but the ones based on Eiffel, Toscano, and "Aso" Mountain all have elevation changes.  

hey, Kaz!  did you hear that - elevation control would be a nice addition to the course creator.  maybe some "corner" check boxes for insertion of chicane, hairpin, esses, and "blind" corners.switches for chicane.  if you ain't gonna give us new tracks (or are going to charge us for ones already on the disc) the least you could do is give us a way to get rid of the God-awful blind jumping corners your course creating monkey-code always seems to want to generate.  It takes hours to build a truly nice, unique, drive-able and (even more importantly) race-able track.

and we want oil changes in lobbies and lounges!!!

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 07:20:49 PM »

That reminds me that at some point I need to change my shared track.  I got one shaped like a fish Tuna that doesn't have any blind turns.  It's not half bad and maybe half good.  :o

I'd be happy with a oval track editor.  Give us two options oval and tri-oval. With the following changeable parameters:

Time of day
Turn sharpness
Turn banking (say 0 to 50°)
Track width
Track distance

What can I say I'm into ovals lately.

On topic I've got some updates to share.  I'm going to set all the races to ~250 miles. The lap counts will be below along with the order of the races. Also I'll update the first post. Right now I'm still testing cars. Running the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger is looking a little iffy at the moment.  I've got the cars equal at Daytona and Route X but the Mustang can't keep up at the other tracks. I've got a few more tricks to try but I may start looking at other options (Group C).  If you want to try out what I'm testing I'm currently running all 3 with max mods limited to 680hp and 1420kg with the intent of leaving every thing else open.

More to come...

Races
1. Daytona 100 laps
2. Twin Ring 167 laps
3. Indy 100 laps
4. Route X 12 laps
5. Open (I think I need to get the cars sorted out first)

Or I could drop race five and call the series "A Thousand Miles to No where"

Grilled Tuna

• Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 04:23:55 PM »

i have a great deal of interest in this event so i did some testing on my own  for cars that would run similar times. i decided on cars that would have been vintage nascars and tested them with no aero or superchargers. abs and all other aids off. i tested these cars at DSS for 4-5 laps in clean air no tire wear and tranny slider setting top speed to 254 mph on racing soft tires with max ride height. lightened to 1300+ kg and set to 1500kg with no front or rear ballast.
 pontiac GTO 620 hp  ran 46.7xx at DSS
 dodge super bee 683 hp ran 46.7 at DSS
 dodge 440 R/T 685hp ran 46.7 at DSS
 mercury cougar 600hp ran 46.4 (45.4 @ 642hp)
 plymouth cuda 647hp ran 46.7 (45.8 @ 691hp)
 chevelle   728hp ran 47.5 (has a aero disadvantage i assume)
all cars had engine and chasis rebuilds prior to testing but all cars could have their open air times improved on with suspension and transmission adjustments. i didnt test the challengers, camaro's or mustangs since they are  considered pony cars. the cuda and chevelle im not sure if the were ever raced in nascar events pretty sure the rest were(i'm proably wrong since all these cars are older than i am...). left the superbird out because it has a definite aero advantage. hope this is of some help for a future event.

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 11:51:49 AM »

Grilled, I like that idea, I'll try it out when I get home tonight. 

The biggest issue I'm finding so far though is that what works at Daytona may not match up well at Indy and Motegi. It looks to me like I may have to make up two sets of rules or go with cars from a common rules class like GT500, Nascar, or just a single car.  I've got about 4 hours of play time tonight so hopefully I can figure something out in that time.

Grilled Tuna

• Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 02:13:13 PM »

spent a couple more hours testing today on the same cars...
had tire wear on in my lounge this time previous test was offline in practice due to error 286 not letting me in anyways burned 2 sets of tires off each of these cars today and modified gearing to get more out of them which meant dropping power on the cuda yet again:
 gto         620hp   47.0xx  10laps on r3's
 cougar     590hp   46.9xx  10laps on r3's
 super bee 683hp   47.0xx   9 laps on r3's
 440 R/T    685hp   47.2xx   9 laps on r3's
 cuda       592hp    47.1xx  11laps on r3's with final set to 3.73 AFTER 254 top set with slider
 chevelle   728hp    48.1xx  ran only 2 laps not worth running anymore regardless of tire wear it obviously has a aero handicap ??? which is suprising to me since it has very similar body shape and over 100hp on most of the cars I tested.
  All hp nerfing was done by swapping parts other than the computer to keep my peak power the same and not give a flat powerband(or have to change gears). not really sure if the cuda should be in this group since it has a tire wear advantage the chargers will proably have an advantage in the draft even tho they eat tires faster. also note with the ABS off these cars are a handlful to  bring into pits without spinning on worn out tires... will also have to start over on the hp handicaps for motegi and indy most likly, aiming to keep the cars within 1/2 a second in clean air. the slower cars at daytona may have a handling or tire advantage at indy and motegi the 440 R/T in particular. possibly the best way to even the cars is to lock drivers to cars rather than have all the same cars at each track suspension should be left up to the drivers. possibly a weight or hp handicap for cars with better stock tire wear. that's enough babbling back to some driving indy and motegi will take more than 2 set of r3's to determine average times per car...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up