SupaTunaGT

• April 24, 2024, 06:56:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Around here we're just FAST enough to have FUN.

Race FAST!  Race HARD!!  Race CLEAN!!!   Have FUN!!!!

Long line Tunas!!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A suggestion from Spec via Rick.  (Read 8462 times)

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
Re: A suggestion from Spec via Rick.
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 06:29:54 PM »

One problem running them in arcade mode, aren't the physics are different than online, if it's meant as practice for the online, then this wouldn't be the way to go.  Plus, may I suggest going with the SH (S1)/SM (S2) tires, with or without the R tires time.  That's what GT5P had and it would make it completely universal.  Of course you could do the R's as a comparison, to really see the lap time difference.  Tunes were always the same way, as nothing could be changed except the tires where you could use S2's or less.

this^

Also, sorry, but I think the turdherdering is a bad TT course. Too long and technical. One mistake can ruin over 7 minutes of practice. Also, Any oval is a bad TT course, just because. I may not have time to run TT, but there's my opinion anyway. What sucks is that online free run in lobbies doesn't have ghost replays (I think). However, if physics are really different, doing an offline (Practice or Arcade) TT is bad, according to me. Carry on.

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 07:14:58 PM »

For what it's worth, all time trials run at the other place will be done in everyone's My Lounge so the ridicuphysics can be eliminated.  Plus that way user-created tracks can be used.

And yes, my whole purpose of the time trials is to improve; but that's just how I roll.  I don't expect everyone to see things like I do.  Actually, I don't expect anyone to see things like I do.   :P

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 08:15:48 PM »

For what it's worth, all time trials run at the other place will be done in everyone's My Lounge so the ridicuphysics can be eliminated.  Plus that way user-created tracks can be used.

And yes, my whole purpose of the time trials is to improve; but that's just how I roll.  I don't expect everyone to see things like I do.  Actually, I don't expect anyone to see things like I do.   :P

I'm convinced that not everyone's lounges are the same.  Brindle's lounge is consistently faster than mine.  I'm also not sure that arcade and practice physics are different than online besides preventing rollover.  It appears to me that the only differences are that there is no tire wear, tires start off warmer, and the cars run with an empty tank of gas (no fuel weight). 

TopEnd

• The Bored of Directors
  • Longtail Tuna
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 08:46:39 PM »

Actually, I don't expect anyone to see things like I do.   :P

I've been know to wear beer goggles

UCanTuna

• Mr. Man
  • The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Say whaaaaat?
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 09:28:45 PM »

Okay... keep in mind this is intended as a bench thread idea and not a time trial per se. Nobody has to sign up. Nobody's expected to turn in times for all the tracks. Just note your best times at any of the tracks we finally come up with and post it. I'll try to keep up with an OP that makes sense.

I'm liking the ideas that are coming out of this:
1. Run on S1's or S2's for consistency. (We'll have to decide.) This will also help improve car control.
2. Do your practicing in an online lounge. (Apparently Brindle's is fastest.) :)
3. Cars should be run on their stock setups with custom suspension and gearing. Again, for consistency so we can compare apples to apples. I'm willing to allow folks to improve their suspension and gear for each track.
4. It would be optional to report alternate times on R1's. While not required, I'd like to see a lot of comparison times early on. It won't take us long to figure out the tire difference is worth 8, 10, or however many seconds. (Seems like in Prologue we just ran whatever we liked.)

IIRC, guys used to post [F] Free run, [C] Clean air, and [D] Draft times. A typical entry looked like:

UCan- NBR Nordschleife, '07 GT-R, S1's, 7:51.929 [F] 7:55.100 [C] 7:39.208 [D]

Keep thinking.
Did you just say "Djibouti"?

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 09:39:48 PM »

Clacksman's thread was based on the handful of events we were given in Prologue, which were generally based on PP.  I think it would be wise to also include PP for future apples to apples comparisons. 

UCanTuna

• Mr. Man
  • The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Say whaaaaat?
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 09:49:44 PM »

Clacksman's thread was based on the handful of events we were given in Prologue, which were generally based on PP.  I think it would be wise to also include PP for future apples to apples comparisons. 

That's right! I had forgotten that. Every month, we only had 4 or 5 events to choose from. We should include PP data as well, but I'm finding it inconsistent at best. Your 500PP car might be way faster than my 500PP car. No matter. It can be included with the car and should be repeatable.

For example: '07 GT-R 439hp/1300kg/519PP

Damn... GT5 made this harder to do than it used to be.

InfiniTuna

• Bigeye Tuna
  • Always stay true to yourself.
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 01:51:26 AM »

One problem running them in arcade mode, aren't the physics are different than online, if it's meant as practice for the online, then this wouldn't be the way to go.  Plus, may I suggest going with the SH (S1)/SM (S2) tires, with or without the R tires time.  That's what GT5P had and it would make it completely universal.  Of course you could do the R's as a comparison, to really see the lap time difference.  Tunes were always the same way, as nothing could be changed except the tires where you could use S2's or less.

Also, sorry, but I think the turdherdering is a bad TT course. Too long and technical. One mistake can ruin over 7 minutes of practice. Also, Any oval is a bad TT course, just because. I may not have time to run TT, but there's my opinion anyway. What sucks is that online free run in lobbies doesn't have ghost replays (I think). However, if physics are really different, doing an offline (Practice or Arcade) TT is bad, according to me. Carry on.

:D  Ok Turbo, this is getting scary ... This agreeing with me stuff is a little disturbing :)
The reasons for doing TT's at Nurburg are exactly the reasons you said we shouldn't.  It takes focus and patients to get a clean lap in. (Unless your Gar of course) Anyone can opt out of whatever TT they don't like.
 Will we be running more than one concurrently or only one weekly or bi-weekly?  For that matter, we could do it like clack's Bench racing thread... any track, any time and post your best or like Ricks pick a car/track combo and run with it for a week, hell we could even do a mix of the two, Pick a car and run it on any track you want and post it up. 
Policing this will be problematic, as you said, no online ghost replays, though you can go into race mode and do laps and save the entire replay.  Kind of cumbersome to do, especially if you set it at say 20 laps, then watch the replay to be sure your best lap was "clean" 
Damn, to do this correctly, we need online ghost replays and a penalty system in our lounges to red out obviously bad laps. 
It falls back to the honor system, 99.9% I would 100% trust, but there always seems to be one or two that for whatever reasons cheat, though in the end game, they are only cheating themselves. 
Anybody with any workarounds for this?  Hello... anybody??

InfiniTuna

• Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 02:18:29 AM »

That's right! I had forgotten that. Every month, we only had 4 or 5 events to choose from. We should include PP data as well, but I'm finding it inconsistent at best. Your 500PP car might be way faster than my 500PP car. No matter. It can be included with the car and should be repeatable.

For example: '07 GT-R 439hp/1300kg/519PP

Damn... GT5 made this harder to do than it used to be.

This could become quite involved...
clack's thread compared cars to one another, but also the same car.  There would be a listing for any car that was ran and submitted.  It makes a great comparison between cars set at a certain PP, but it also let the same car have it's own best time.
Ok...

Pick a PP lvl... then any track any car and post it up... could be so many as to make it a full time job.

Pick a PP lvl... Pick a car(s) and limit it to them for a certain time period... on any track ... easier, but still that could be lots of data to mess with.

Pick a PP lvl... Pick a track(s) and run any car... still very involved or could be.

Pick a PP lvl... car(s) and track(s)... keeps it limited and more easily workable

Other things...
In GT5P these things were also limited to kinds of drives... FF, FR, 4WD... How to work that in is another question.
We could do this with the picking car(s) scenarios and limited number of tracks to keep it manageable.
It could be setup like in GT5P... a certain kind of car at one track say 4WD at Trial Mountain at 550pp and then also
have FR's at Indy Road at 600pp.  Do as many as we think can be handled without overload.  We could do 2 or 3 concurrently even more if it proves easy enough to do.
:hah-r We have become the lever pulling monkeys  ^-^

UCanTuna

• Mr. Man
  • The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Say whaaaaat?
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 06:01:03 AM »

We have become the lever pulling monkeys  ^-^

I didn't sign up for this. :)

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 06:10:16 AM »

Can't you just compete with your own times?
Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 06:28:08 AM »

Someone mentioned going to Brindle's lounge because it was faster. On that note, I think this discussion brings a new aspect to Time Trials/practice/bench thread that is way better than GT5P. A bunch of guys can go to someone's lounge and do free run together. They can compare times, tunes, cars, whatever, whether they're running the same carr or not, it can be good times. Some have been doing this for a while, jumping into someone's lounge who is just practicing or testing a car. It usually ends up in a friendly race, but it doesn't have to. I enjoy seeing other people's cars and seeing what they can get out of them.

Thanks to guys who host free runs and spot races. Good times.

UCanTuna

• Mr. Man
  • The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Say whaaaaat?
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 06:29:30 AM »

Yes. Essentially, that's all your doing. Posting up your best time(s) in a particular car on a particular track. It gets compared to other drivers, but there's no competition going on. I always used the bench thread as a reference to figure what a serviceable lap time was on a given track. Often, I didn't even have to turn a lap. I'd just go look at clacksman's time and add two seconds. :) This was in Prologue. Some guy named Jasher and I used to go back and forth in Loti trying to beat each others times but I always came out with the short end of the stick on that one. :)

I'm leaning toward simplify, simplify, simplify. What are the drivetrains we have? FF, FR, MR and AWD? Isn't that it? Now, I'm thinking we could designate two tracks per drivetrain each month, and a set PP to run at. Just thinking out loud.

Again, it's a case of the game being so vast. If we all just ran cars willy nilly at any track it would produce so much data it would be hard to make any sense of it.

This might be a way to sniff out the PP problem. We've all learned that cars with the same PP might turn completely different lap times. Say we're all running FR cars at 500PP on DRC and everyone is turning laps somewhere near 1'41.xxx. Suddenly someone drags out a sleeper like the Oullim Spirra (I just bought one) and it turns a 1'32.xxx. We'd have us a new go-to car. :)

UCanTuna

• Mr. Man
  • The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Say whaaaaat?
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 06:32:34 AM »

A bunch of guys can go to someone's lounge and do free run together. They can compare times, tunes, cars, whatever, whether they're running the same carr or not, it can be good times.

Well, there you go. And you can post up your best lap time in the bench thread, or not. Practicing in Brindle's lounge eliminates the draft would create some consistency, and he does an awfully nice buffet on Sundays.

InfiniTuna

• Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 07:05:05 AM »

Yes. Essentially, that's all your doing. Posting up your best time(s) in a particular car on a particular track. It gets compared to other drivers, but there's no competition going on. I always used the bench thread as a reference to figure what a serviceable lap time was on a given track. Often, I didn't even have to turn a lap. I'd just go look at clacksman's time and add two seconds. :) This was in Prologue. Some guy named Jasher and I used to go back and forth in Loti trying to beat each others times but I always came out with the short end of the stick on that one. :)

I'm leaning toward simplify, simplify, simplify. What are the drivetrains we have? FF, FR, MR and AWD? Isn't that it? Now, I'm thinking we could designate two tracks per drivetrain each month, and a set PP to run at. Just thinking out loud.

Again, it's a case of the game being so vast. If we all just ran cars willy nilly at any track it would produce so much data it would be hard to make any sense of it.

This might be a way to sniff out the PP problem. We've all learned that cars with the same PP might turn completely different lap times. Say we're all running FR cars at 500PP on DRC and everyone is turning laps somewhere near 1'41.xxx. Suddenly someone drags out a sleeper like the Oullim Spirra (I just bought one) and it turns a 1'32.xxx. We'd have us a new go-to car. :)

Yeah, that Jasher guy could turn a good lap at HSR and Daytona, but I've heard at the other tracks... well not so much. :D
Suzuka being the worse... He could never come within 4 or 5 sec. of the fast guys there.  Damn, I wonder what ever happened to that guy? 

You and Jasher use to do that with several different cars, he once told me it was the friendly competition that made it so much fun.  :swing2

:police: Talking in the 3nd person... the mark of royalty and crazies everywhere...  :laugh:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up