SupaTunaGT

• March 28, 2024, 02:36:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30   Go Down

Author Topic: Racing Equipment  (Read 40558 times)

LastLeafFan

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
Racing Equipment
« on: November 09, 2012, 07:45:50 AM »

I know Feldynn just got a new wheel and I thought it would be nice to just see what everyone is using. It always amazes me that anyone can be competitive using a controller.

I started with the DFGT and then moved up to a G25 but soon after picked up the Fanatec CSR wheel and the Clubsport pedals.

I built my own rig out of PVC pipe and find it really stable. I know I'm not one of the fastest around these waters but that isn't the equipment  

I love my rig and should be good for a while now.

Here is my setup.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 07:49:58 AM by LastLeafFan »

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Racing Equipment
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 07:58:52 AM »

I use a controler.  After 20 years of gaming and virtual racing, nothing else feels right. 

Although I do have a G25 and a wheel stand pro boxed up in a spare room that I drag out as a novelty now and then.  Problem I have with it is that it does not feel natural to use in the game and it does not feel real enough to match a real world driving experience.  It's just kinda some where in between that just feels weird to me.

I also disagree with any one that says I can't be as accurate with a controler. Based on all my tests and attempts, I can.   

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 08:30:33 AM »

Controller user here too. I had a DFGT for about 3 months, and just didn't care for it. Sold the wheel and went back to using a controller.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 09:32:48 AM »

eh, it's a personal choice.  I find I like a wheel much better, but it's a choice.

Leaf, your seat alone has me jealous.  I need to set something like that up for sure!

Do you by any chance have the plans drawn up for that rig?  And, what kind of seat is that?

TunaPhreak

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • Do or do not, there is no try.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 10:40:41 AM »

Can't play this game on a controller anymore.  Played GT4 and everything prior on a controller, and one day bought the DF Pro.  After a long learning curve (boy were my times SLOW on the wheel at first!) I've stayed with a wheel since.  I've only ever played GT5 with a wheel (I've used controller here and there when I don't feel like setting up the driving rig, but never could survive in a race environment).  Upgraded to a DFGT down the line thanks to craigslist, and have been using that since.

When I first started out, the wheel was mounted to a snack tray like everyone else.  Wobble and slide galore.  My first stability attempt involved strapping weights to the snack tray.  Minor improvement.  Next upgrade was a chair, a box, a shelf, and a bunch of free weights and twine.  Basically I made a little weighted diving board to mount the wheel to.  This helped greatly with the stability of the wheel, but in either situation I found sitting that high/upright was very unnatural with the pedals, and I'd wind up floating my feet over them and pressing more down like a truck driver than forward like a race car driver, plus I'd get shin cramps/splints eventually.

Next setup was much better but still not permanent.  Used a massage chair (in the pics below) that was much closer to the ground to sit in.  Put a kitchen chair on either side of me, and put a shelf across the seats.  Weigh down the ends of the shelf on the seats and it was pretty decent.  PITA to setup, break down, move, get in, get out; but held the wheel *fairly* stable and seating position/pedals were much much better.  No more leg pain!

Now that I was in a more natural position, I was racing a lot more often, and the effort involved in this setup took it's toll.  I decided it was time to ditch the chairs and weights and shelves and actually build a rig to hold the wheel that would be somewhat collapsible.  Searched around a few different forums for ideas and plans, went to home depot, and built what you see below.  Made using hand tools and a dremel, I spent about $45 at home depot for all materials including a hand saw and miter block combo for $15 (one of the best moves I did that day was buying that saw & miter block!)  Prior to that, my other option was a hack saw.

Now that I was racing more and more constantly, I found out that lack of lower back support in the massage chair was taking it's toll on, well, my lower back.  One morning I woke up so stiff and sore I could barely move my torso at all.  That has now been replaced with an Audio X Rocker I had sitting around doing nothing.  I stuff some bumpers under the rear to prevent it from actually rocking and I'm set.  It's a real comfy chair (although I admit I do still use a lumbar pillow on it when racing), has pretty decent audio if you want to pump through it, and is a great chair for other gaming when I'm not using the wheel.

So yeah, bet you didn't expect such a long answer to "what everyone else is using" but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Race smarter, not harder!
http://www.mygranturismo.net/26145
My PSN is PsychoPhreak, not TunaPhreak. You can tune a car but you can't TunaPhreak!

Brindle

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 10:45:12 AM »

I worked off of these plans made by some guy named "Simul8ter" when i did mine.  It is exactly like Leaf's rig, only the pedal mounts are modded to work with inverted pedals.  The only suggestion is to add another support leg on the right side to add a huge amount of stability.  It is not in the plans, but just copy the dimensions from the left side.  :)

LastLeafFan

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 10:46:25 AM »

I love the rig and I think it cost me about $250 including the seat. I found a pair of used racing seats on Kijiji and then turned around and sold the 2nd one. The 2 seats cost me $200.00 and I sold the other one for $100.00.

The seat is a Ractive racing seat. It's not all that comfortable when going for a long period of time. There are more comfortable ones out there but for now with a cushion it works great.

This is the link for the plans that I used. I only made one small change and went with 1 centre pipe under the seat. I have the 2 with the caps that take the brunt on the weight but I didn't see the need for the 2 in the centre. It is just fine the way I have it.

I highly recommend the rig, it's solid as a rock and I just slide it over to the wall the get it out of the way. I think it is about 80 lbs with the seat. Still easy to move.

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=138156&highlight=build

LastLeafFan

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 10:51:32 AM »

If you look at my rig you can see the 2 fittings for a future rail to mount the shifter to and add stability but right now I only use the paddles and as far as strength I find it to be rock solid.

I also used bolts to attach the 2 sections so I can take the rig apart for better storage.

LastLeafFan

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 11:11:33 AM »

I haven't done the side rail yet but I was going with this idea. I was thinking that with the straight rail I could incorporate a drink holder in it easier than the angled one. 

GrumpyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 11:45:40 AM »

This is my cluttered room and rig.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 11:57:55 AM »

This is my cluttered room and rig.

Is that a Obutto?

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 12:33:08 PM »

Right now I have a "Walmart Special" rig, basically a $20 mini computer desk thing, it's actually a good height but isn't the most stable structure or quite the right shape.  Where I'm set up I don't have a lot of room (I actually use my PC monitor, yay dual inputs, so it's sort of a low desk in front of / half under another desk) but I do have a grand plan to throw together a PVC pipe half-rig.

By half-rig I mean a front section for the wheel and pedals but not the extra length for a seat mount (yet), going to add a keyboard shelf too so I don't have to keep moving stuff around to use the PC comfortably.  Sort of half computer desk / half wheel stand I guess, I'll be sure and get before / after picturs though :).

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

Brindle

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 12:37:40 PM »

I haven't done the side rail yet but I was going with this idea. I was thinking that with the straight rail I could incorporate a drink holder in it easier than the angled one. 

Excelent idea!  I may need to modify.  :)  Right now I'm using the angled piece for the shifter.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 12:54:43 PM »

My setup gets more cluttered by the day.  G25 mounted on a Rennsport wheelstand.  Works quite well except the gear shift isn't in a great posiiton.  My G25 has the Nixim brake mod.  The potentiometer on the brake pedal is starting to stick so I have to fix that.  Chair is taken from a 92 Integra.  I have an old 56" DLP and 2 24" lcd monitors.  When sitting in the chair, the monitors are fairly well lined up to work as a triple screen setup.  Not perfect but not bad either.  I have a 5.1 surround sound system that works awesome in that room (the home inspector thought it was acoustic black paint on the walls), but I mostly use the Tritton headset so I don't bother anyone else.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 01:09:09 PM »

Thanks Brindle & Leaf for your plans... question... is there a way to make the angle and maybe height of the wheel adjustable?

I have wooden stand that I built and the main requirement I had for it was that the table-top would be adjustable.  So I have a few nail holes I can more it up and down on...

I'd hate to design something that ergonomically felt bad later with no way to alter or adjust it.

As for the seat, I'll probably try to find a Used Recaro from an Evo 8 cuz it would be weird to have a better seat in my real car than I have in my fake ones :D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 01:10:49 PM by Ex-Xboxfan »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30   Go Up