SupaTunaGT

• March 28, 2024, 04:33:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30   Go Down

Author Topic: Racing Equipment  (Read 40553 times)

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Racing Equipment
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 01:14:16 PM »

May I ask what card you have in your pc?  I have been eyeing doing triple screen, but not sure I can run 1080p with it.  I know it won't run P-Cars with a triple setup, maybe with reducing visuals, but who wants to do that?

It's an XFX 7950 double D.  I really haven't done much to optimize it.  I've got to figure out how to overclock my system properly.  Right now with a single car at Spa (which is supposed to be the worst iRacing track for framerates), I get about 60fps which is fine but it will drop to the 40s sometimes.  I don't know how it will handle multiple cars.  It seams to run everything at max in triple screen on Dirt 3.  I haven't tested pCars too much.

In the old days we had to use jumpers to over clock now it's just a trip to the bios.

From my experience over clocking will not get you much other than an over heated pc. You may get a frame or 2 but turning down some of the visuals or lowering AA will be better in the end.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 01:16:41 PM by DudeTuna »

Brindle

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 01:30:28 PM »

Damn!  Only have a 6850 1gig.  Thanks for the info though.  From what I've read, review wise, my card averages about 20fps less than yours.  Guess I need to overclock more.  :)

Also, if you have any questions I may be able to help with the overclocking.  I use "SapphireTrix" for the GPU and use the bios to keep my CPU at turbo 3.8ghz (I have a LOCKED intel chip :( ).  The overclock on the GPU netted me a gain of about 15fps.  That's with stock voltage running at 950mhz GPU (775 stock) and 1050mhz MEM (1000 stock).  GPU clock has the biggest effect.

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2012, 01:48:52 PM »

Three monitors!  :drool2
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 01:52:32 PM by CharlieTuna »

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2012, 02:09:39 PM »

Damn!  Only have a 6850 1gig.  Thanks for the info though.  From what I've read, review wise, my card averages about 20fps less than yours.  Guess I need to overclock more.  :)

Also, if you have any questions I may be able to help with the overclocking.  I use "SapphireTrix" for the GPU and use the bios to keep my CPU at turbo 3.8ghz (I have a LOCKED intel chip :( ).  The overclock on the GPU netted me a gain of about 15fps.  That's with stock voltage running at 950mhz GPU (775 stock) and 1050mhz MEM (1000 stock).  GPU clock has the biggest effect.

People at the iRacing forums are recommending at least 2Gb for triple screens.  My card has 3GB.

I built the system with a little overclocking in mind.  I have a decent psu, an unlocked cpu with aftermarket cooling, the gpu has two fans and the case has many fans including a 200mm fan over the GPU.  But I've never really done any overclocking.  A step by step guide would be helpful.

Brindle

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2012, 04:08:39 PM »

People at the iRacing forums are recommending at least 2Gb for triple screens.  My card has 3GB.

I built the system with a little overclocking in mind.  I have a decent psu, an unlocked cpu with aftermarket cooling, the gpu has two fans and the case has many fans including a 200mm fan over the GPU.  But I've never really done any overclocking.  A step by step guide would be helpful.

That's where I'm borderline.  I have read the same, that a min of 2gig is recommended even for a single monitor at 1920x1080.  I can easily run my card at 1920x1080 (with a different monitor) but my usual monitor is 1600x900.  I will probably not do triple until I crossfire or upgrade GPU.  :(  Also, was earlier thinking of the 7750.  Your card is bad ass!  Except for pixle rate, you double everything else I have performance wise.  Nice choice!

For overclocking, you are already a step ahead with the cooler, so the battle is half over.  Keep in mind, I myself (if my cpu was unlocked) would only go for a mild overclock of about 4.2ghz.  From what I've read, 4.2 is about the limit one would run a pc daily at.  All those higher clocks you read about are only for bragging rights.  More voltage is needed to reach higher clocks, which creates heat, which wears on the CPU.

Two more questions, then I can give you the steps for a mild overclock.  Higher clocks, I would have to re-research, as more is involved than just the multiplier.

Q1:  What cpu do you have?  ivy, sandy?
Q2:  What motherboard do you have?  Z68, Z77?  (brand also would help)

This will help me give you max temps, where to look in bios, etc...

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2012, 09:43:22 PM »

Here is my GT5 rig:

(see attached)

What I like about this rig is that it attaches to any chair with arm rests. So there are no complaints from the wife. I just use an office chair and when I'm done, everything goes back to the way it was.

Name of the company was "Best Time Gaming Products." A Google search turned this up:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031AM73O?tag=kaiastudio-20

MX
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:46:54 PM by MX5_Racer_69 »
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2012, 01:03:09 AM »

People at the iRacing forums are recommending at least 2Gb for triple screens.  My

I have an i5 3570k ivy with a gigabyte ga-z77x-ud3h motherboard. Thanks.

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2012, 10:24:58 AM »

Here is my GT5 rig:

(see attached)

What I like about this rig is that it attaches to any chair with arm rests. So there are no complaints from the wife. I just use an office chair and when I'm done, everything goes back to the way it was.

Name of the company was "Best Time Gaming Products." A Google search turned this up:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031AM73O?tag=kaiastudio-20

MX

I use that same chair but, what about lateral movement? I have my wheel on a crappy little table on wheels, but it does the trick for free.  :D

also also, that table is not currently available.  :-\
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 10:26:51 AM by LooneyTuna »
Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2012, 02:05:49 PM »

Well, even though it's not available anymore, the design is so simple it would be easy to replicate. All you'd need to do is go to Home Depot, get a piece of wood, measure your arm rests and cut it out. Then you'd just need some straps to strap it down to the chair. Easy peasy.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2012, 02:09:49 AM »

People at the iRacing forums are recommending at least 2Gb for triple screens.  My

I have an i5 3570k ivy with a gigabyte ga-z77x-ud3h motherboard. Thanks.

I did a quick search and found a youtube video for my specific processor and motherboard.  I got it up to 4.2 quite easily.

My video card isn't being as accommodating.  I've got it up to 925 (from 800) when others are saying they can get it to around 1100.

Anyway I got another 15fps or so with the overclock and changing some settings.

Brindle

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2012, 08:32:51 AM »

Very nice GT11!  I figured 4.2 would be easy.  I'm also guessing your still on stock voltage?  I may have an unlocked i5 and an ASRock z77 on the way, so I'm curious.  :)

As for the vid card, I have read that some cards have a low voltage in the overclocking software of .9 or so.  It should go up under load, but only when using CCC.  If you use aftermarket software, it will run at the voltage set in that software.  It should be 1.090 volts under load and I ise the 15% rule for upping voltage safely.  You could go to 20% (many say that is ok), but I chose a slightly lower voltage.  T0 make 950 on my card, I had to raise 25ma to be stable.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2012, 11:08:27 AM »

Very nice GT11!  I figured 4.2 would be easy.  I'm also guessing your still on stock voltage?  I may have an unlocked i5 and an ASRock z77 on the way, so I'm curious.  :)

As for the vid card, I have read that some cards have a low voltage in the overclocking software of .9 or so.  It should go up under load, but only when using CCC.  If you use aftermarket software, it will run at the voltage set in that software.  It should be 1.090 volts under load and I ise the 15% rule for upping voltage safely.  You could go to 20% (many say that is ok), but I chose a slightly lower voltage.  T0 make 950 on my card, I had to raise 25ma to be stable.

I pretty much followed this video except I only went to 42 on the multipliers instead of 45.  I changed the CPU PLL to 1.65V from 1.8 but he said that was optional.

Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H Ivy Bridge i5 3570K Overclocking Tutorial + UEFI Demo

For the video card, I was just using CCC.  The voltage slider didn't seam to do anything.  I'll have to check out some overclocking software.  msi afterburner gets recommended a lot.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2012, 01:16:14 PM »

Here is my CPU warmer.

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2012, 06:02:13 PM »

Here is my CPU warmer.

Nice looking pussy you have there.  ;D
Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2012, 01:23:16 AM »

Wow,  I was fiddling with my graphics settings and hit the default button for 3D settings then booted up iracing to find that I had 150+fps at Laguna Seca.  I then went to Spa and had 100+.  So I went back and checked my settings and figured that I had morphological filtering on before and it was killing my fps. I don't notice much quality difference.  Maybe a few more jaggies but not much.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30   Go Up