• April 29, 2024, 01:32:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our new HOME!!!

These ARE the TUNAs you seek...

CHECK OUT our site, BECOME a member, JOIN our "EVNETS", and RACE with us...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30   Go Down

Author Topic: Racing Equipment  (Read 40848 times)

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Racing Equipment
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2013, 04:04:20 PM »

Told ya they were quick...

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2013, 08:53:08 AM »

Ok, initial review of the rig. Keep in mind that I haven't tweaked anything yet.

My first impression of the rig was:

1. Wheel looked really cool, but I was a bit underwhelmed in person by the plastic in the wheel itself. First thing I'm going to do is either put some hockey tape around that sucker or maybe a wheel wrap. At GT5 setting of 7 on the force feedback and the wheel settings on default, this wheel is a lot to handle. It's a heck of a workout. My shoulders felt about the same as when I get off the track IRL after a couple of sessions with you guys last night. My one concern there is the plastic mounts. I will probably have to use the hard mounts on this thing eventually to keep it steady. But all of that is a good thing.

2. The pedals are heavy duty and very nice. Fit and finish are spectacular. I have two basic gripes though. First, the clutch pedal is too progressive, makes it hard to hold it half way if you're trying to feather the clutch. I'm going to see if I can find a way to adjust that. The next thing is the brake pedal. I did some testing this morning on the way to work, and I would say that the default setting on that thing is very realistic. It takes about the same amount of pressure to apply 100% braking on the pedals as in real life. However, because they are not mounted the same as in a car, I was actually lifting the whole footboard when I was braking hard. The front of the unit was coming off the floor and I was having to ease up on my braking to keep it from flipping over even with the brake sensitivity on the highest setting. This caused me to over drive several corners. So I also need to learn how to make that pedal a tad softer.

3. The rig out of the box is not PS3 compatible. I had to do quite a bit of research and trial and error to figure out how to get GT5 to recognize everything. The wheel has to be put into "PS3 Mode" by putting it into PC mode and then holding two buttons simultaneously. And, it appears that you have to do this a certain way, like before you start GT5 or something, or else the game doesn't detect everything. I need another night of playing around with it to nail this down and figure out when it works and when it doesn't. That's kind of a pain.

I think with time, I'll learn how to tweak the rig a bit and that will solve some of the issues. I think for most people who only play GT5 on the PS3, this setup is probably overkill. Again, that's my initial reaction. I may change my mind after more seat time. We'll see.

Tonight I'm going to try the rig on iRacing and see if that game brings more of the rig into play.

MX
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2013, 09:19:06 AM »

A tip for CSR wheel users when playing GT5....  turn the sensitivity on the wheel itself to "OFF"

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2013, 12:20:37 PM »

I stopped by my Mazda dealer to have my AC fixed.

In the showroom they had two DFGTs mounted on a table with pedal on floor.

They hada Challenge going at Midfield in a Mazda3.  Best time WAS 1:44.132.  It is now 1:28.229.  And I know I left about 5secs of Charlie speed out there (slow Tuna dontcha know...)

Anyway, I told them if anyone beats me to call and I will come back to kick there ass.  ^-^

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2013, 12:23:48 PM »

I stopped by my Mazda dealer to have my AC fixed.

In the showroom they had two DFGTs mounted on a table with pedal on floor.

They hada Challenge going at Midfield in a Mazda3.  Best time WAS 1:44.132.  It is now 1:28.229.  And I know I left about 5secs of Charlie speed out there (slow Tuna dontcha know...)

Anyway, I told them if anyone beats me to call and I will come back to kick there ass.  ^-^

Way to represent!!! Kids all over your neighborhood are going to cry.
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2013, 02:41:58 PM »

Hey Baked, I thingk we got the same seats...

hi guys... a few of you mentioned having the above seat.  Baked even suggested he found one for around $100

Can anyone point me to a listing for one (single) seat that might be right around that price-range?

I see some of those listings on Ebay but they appear to be for pairs only.

Any help would be appreciated!  Ty

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2013, 02:43:15 PM »

There have been some changes but this is the basics.

Untitled by BakedTuna7, on Flickr

also... with the pants and the drapery behind him, it looks like baked has no legs!!!

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2013, 05:27:38 PM »

I just kept an eye for several auctions. At some point I found a place that seemed to be some sort of liquidator. They were selling singles. Bought four of them in all averaged 100 bucks to my door with the shipping. Have not looked at the auctions since.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2013, 07:51:02 AM »

thanks!

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2013, 01:59:44 PM »

My rig runs lengthways along a wall on the right side. Actually the shelf that the monitor sits on and the steering wheel is mounted to sits about three inches off the wall allowing for cables and cords to be run down through the gap. On the other side I have a soft divider kind of similar to a office cubicle but soft material.

Today I went ahead and did something I have been wanting to do and extended the shelf on the right side all the way to the wall and anchored the whole setup to the wall with a L bracket. Rig is incredibly solid now. And the shelf allows me enough room to leave my netbook sitting right there.

Happy camper I am.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2013, 07:23:34 PM »

Pretty interesting controller....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pQDL4xK-Z6k#at=140

Apparently it will be PS3 compatible.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #117 on: August 08, 2013, 08:03:04 AM »

I call bullshit!

No one that young ever drove a vette!

on the controller... wow.  that could really bridge the gap between wheel and controller!

My question is, why did it take manufacturers so long to actually realize this kind of design?  It seems like a no-brainer, once you see the awesome thumb-action.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #118 on: August 08, 2013, 08:24:52 AM »

Going by some comments I seen on another site. The company that is making these, is notorious for making junk.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #119 on: August 08, 2013, 09:13:43 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30   Go Up