SupaTunaGT

• April 28, 2024, 05:03:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Interest In UnModified Series?  (Read 1941 times)

Grilled Tuna

• Yellowfin Tuna
Re: Any Interest In UnModified Series?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 03:23:01 PM »

im interested in this. run your own at 500pp no tune idea sounds cool any other pp would also work. not sure if a points system would work but it could be tried for a couple weeks would work if we all drove the same car tho...'tutu cup' :D

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 06:27:40 PM »

im interested in this. run your own at 500pp no tune idea sounds cool any other pp would also work. not sure if a points system would work but it could be tried for a couple weeks would work if we all drove the same car tho...'tutu cup' :D

I vote for 500pp.  There are a lot of fun cars in and around 500pp.  :D

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 09:55:48 PM »

I'm in.   :)
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 10:18:48 PM »

Ok, I'll get something set up for this Thursday's ToC then :).  500PP, tuning prohibited and I'll try to throw together a quick list of "suggested cars" too

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 07:59:37 AM »

I'll try and be there.  :laugh

Also, I think 425pp would also be a good for some time down the road.  I believe thats about where all the pony cars hover around.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 08:24:26 AM »

I also think that a one car unmodified race would be fun as well. When I've done it based on PP in the past, there's always one car that's got a better power curve or handling for a particular track and ends up being 2 seconds faster than every other car. Unless you do a lot of testing (which is very anti-Tuna, lol), then it can be hard to ferret those out.

Cars I'd love to race:

Miatas at dawn, of course.
S2000's.
MR2's
M3's
Fairlady's
Z06's
All the exotics
Etc.

The hardest job for the planner I think is finding the best track for each car. I'm willing to help if needed.

MX

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 11:29:26 AM »

I would be interested, especially if it was exotics and the PP was in the 500-550 range.

PSN ID = dawson864

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 02:34:49 PM »

I'm also thinking about doing SCCA type races as outlined here:

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2012%20SCCA%20Solo%20Stock%20Category%20Classifications%20By%20Manufacturer%20-%20May.pdf

So, for example, the Miata is C-Stock. A Ferrari is ... hmmm, not eligible. Maybe some more thought on that.

BadBoots

• Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 06:19:53 PM »

Looking through the list, I see a nice B stock class of cars that we have available to us.  ;)
:dj :bass :guitar :jams :rocks :iwtband :fiesta

nosoks

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 04:41:06 AM »

I love Tutu also and always try to fit it in my schedule. Usually means I'm racing by about 8.00am so not too bad
If everyone follows rule #1 we'd need no other rules
Rule #1 = Pay attention

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 01:54:15 PM »

Do you happen to have any links or info regarding the specs for those SCCA classes, MX?  Either general specs for the classes or maybe specific power / weight type specs for some of the some of the cars themselves.

Also I was pondering something I read in the Project Cars thread, Wizard and MX mentioned a phrase like "Weekend Racer" and that got me to thinking about something today.. what about a Weekend Racer series / event with mostly stock cars that use just a handful of upgrades and only those with fixed settings (sort of like Friday's Miata Platter event).  Say pick a PP limit, any road car qualifies that can be brought up to that PP limit using only power upgrades, weight must remain stock and engine detuning limited to say 5% so you can't just detune a significantly overpowered car.

Here's a kind of spec sheet that might make more sense:

Weekend Racers

Performance Points - 410PP
Tires:  Sports Hard

Modifications
Power:  Any (detuning limited to 5%)
Weight:  None, stock weight required (carbon hood can be used for looks, 5kg must be added to compensate)
Transmission:  Stock or Close Ratio
Drivetrain:  Stock
Suspension:  Fixed Sports Kit only

Basically the concept is to grab a car, stick on some cheap power mods and drive around a track.  It should work further up the spectrum for the more powerful sports cars too, simply pick a higher PP and use the same basic mods.  Though I don't know how evenly matched the cars would really be without actually testing anything so there's a good chance it might turn out to be a very bad idea :).

Something else I was tinkering with the last week was a sort of idea for a Viper Vs. Vette series, ironically it was 2 from that SCCA file in the Super Stock class though I didn't know it at the time :), the '04 Corvette Z06 and the '02 Viper GTS premiums.  Both cars started started out stock with an oil change and the same bolt ons added to them:

'02 Viper / '04 Vette
Stock weight
Racing Air Filter
Sports Cat
Racing Exhaust
Close-Ratio 6 speed Transmission
Fixed Sports Suspension
Sports Soft Tires

There was a slight PP difference in favour of the Viper (I think it was +15PP or so) but both cars seemed to be pretty evenly matched on the track.  The Vette did feel tighter handling wise but also a bit more fidgety where as the Viper was a touch softer and more forgiving (probably the extra weight).

Some food for thought :).

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 02:41:07 PM »

Great stuff Feld. I like the way you think. I'll put some links together and post here in a bit. I've been reading a lot on the SCCA forums and learning a lot. There's also the NASA racing rules too. Lots to pull from.

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 07:32:33 PM »

I especially like the first option.  In fact I was noodling around last week with that exact idea except limited to one car.  At the time I was messing with the ACR Viper.  I would not mind seeing the PP set a little higher though.  If I recall correctly around 460pp would allow for cars such as the all the mustangs, 4th gen camaros, Nissan 370,350Z, Pontiac GTO 5.7 liter.  Similar to some of the classes SCCA used back in the early to mid 2000s.

If there is enough interest for something like this. I might could set it up and host it on Wedsday night.  Say maybe 30 minute sprint race, maybe 8 to 10 races total, either weekly or biweekly. (excluding the last two Group C dates)

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 10:06:26 AM »

I especially like the first option.  In fact I was noodling around last week with that exact idea except limited to one car.  At the time I was messing with the ACR Viper.  I would not mind seeing the PP set a little higher though.  If I recall correctly around 460pp would allow for cars such as the all the mustangs, 4th gen camaros, Nissan 370,350Z, Pontiac GTO 5.7 liter.  Similar to some of the classes SCCA used back in the early to mid 2000s.

If there is enough interest for something like this. I might could set it up and host it on Wedsday night.  Say maybe 30 minute sprint race, maybe 8 to 10 races total, either weekly or biweekly. (excluding the last two Group C dates)

[snip - moved to new thread]
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 01:23:02 PM by MX5_Racer_69 »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up