• April 28, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our new HOME!!!

These ARE the TUNAs you seek...

CHECK OUT our site, BECOME a member, JOIN our "EVNETS", and RACE with us...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Nevermind  (Read 3398 times)

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: Introducing: The Supa Tuna Racing Association (STRA)?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »

I too have been getting into the tuneless side of things a lot lately, particularly as a result of buying my first Wheel a few months back and with 2.09 coming out around the same time not only did I have to relearn how to drive with a new control medium but I also had to relearn how to drive with the new physics and learn what had changed in terms of tuning and how it relates to wheels vs. controllers.

I'm also game for racing single car or multi car series' as we've done before in some of the previous Tuna Cup races, so one series could be we have a pool of cars to choose from (like SCCA Class C cars for example) and we all pick one car to use for the duration of the series, or there's a designated car and we all run the same one like a Spec Miata or Viper Cup series.

There's an "" widget thingum around here somewhere but I can't ever remember what it is, so um.. :D.

EDIT
Oh apparently I found it by accident LOL.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 08:51:21 PM »

I'm glad to hear all this positive talk of tuneless things... and class racing. Turns out, TuTu will be doing some classy tuneless stuff in the near future... historical classes from different series and their respective road cars... and by historical, of course I mean the 1990s and early 2000s  :D  More to come!

In any case, here's a SHAMELESS PLUG TO COME RACE EVERY TUESDAY NIGHT

nosoks

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 09:20:18 PM »

Tunas.... untuned but still Tuna'd .......count me in
If everyone follows rule #1 we'd need no other rules
Rule #1 = Pay attention

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 12:50:08 PM »

I suppose I'd vote for Wednesday as well.  Unless I get lucky and have a free Saturday, I've only got two days to race, Friday and Wednesday.

LastLeafFan

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 12:59:18 PM »

Wednesday is good for me as we'll buy usually after 9.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »

I'm glad to hear all this positive talk of tuneless things... and class racing. Turns out, TuTu will be doing some classy tuneless stuff in the near future... historical classes from different series and their respective road cars... and by historical, of course I mean the 1990s and early 2000s  :D  More to come!

In any case, here's a SHAMELESS PLUG TO COME RACE EVERY TUESDAY NIGHT

So I've been meaning to comment on this for a couple days, just getting around to it. I just wanted to say that it was never my intention to try and further thin the herd at these events. I try to make as many of the TuTu events that I can and will probably be there tonight. I threw these ideas out there the way I did because I didn't want to presume to tell the existing hosts how to run their events. I hope that makes sense. Yall do a great job and I wouldn't want you to change a thing.

That said ... the more I race online, the more I crave consistency ... simplicity ... and racing. I would love to find a place where there was a race once a week that didn't require tuning, that involved a car that I knew pretty well, where tuning was disabled and everyone drove the exact same car. I don't know if others also crave that. But as we saw in the Miata series (not one car, but close) and last night in the Ferrarri MNR, when you get cars that are pretty even, you get some great racing. And it's that close racing that I enjoy most. At this point, I've driven most of the cars in the game and that's no longer a novelty for me. Last night's event with MastrGT could have only been better with tuning turned off and lower hp. The tuning created two separate groups of racers ... the experienced drivers who had tunes and the new online drivers who could not handle the hp.

Finally, with my schedule, I just don't have time to prepare the way I'd like to prepare for some of these races. I know that we don't encourage practicing around here. But I like to be competitive. I personally hope the TunaCup keeps going for a while. I like the idea of a series with an unchanging set of cars so that the drivers can truly master them. That's when the racing gets tightest, in my experience.

Ok, enough of my rambling.  :)
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 12:09:51 PM »

You need to sign up for the tuneless enduro MX. We will be running some practice for sure.

Gentlemen's Racers

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 12:37:50 PM »

Thanks for the plug Dude!  :)

MX I am up for whatever unless it's just a miserable handling car  ;D

PSN ID = dawson864

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 02:28:42 PM »

... when you get cars that are pretty even, you get some great racing. And it's that close racing that I enjoy most.

Unfortunately finding groups of cars that perform similarly enough (especially with fixed / prohibited tuning) to provide that awesome close racing can be pretty difficult.  I was experimenting last night with muscle cars, trying to find a way to get them working well together with minimal tuning options as I'd really like to run something with them not unlike last week's Miata event.  The trouble is some have really good handling, some have really good power and some have good power with decent so finding some sort of "simple balance" was proving difficult last night.

On the flip side of that I did pull together a sort of SCCA group of cars that seemed to run fairly evenly when fixed to 445PP and prohibited tuning, cars that you always want to be good but kinda of suck when compared to anything else at higher PPs:

Ford Mustang GT '05 (I assume the premium '07 would fit too)
Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
BMW M Coupe '98
Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX '89
TVR V8S '91
Infiniti G35 Coupe '06

Could probably drop the Nissan and raise the PP or even leave it stock as the rest all end up around the 450-455PP mark after oil / rebuild I think.

Also I'd done a bit more testing for a possible Viper Cup spec, I forget the exact mods I'd used now (I think it was Weight Stage 1, carbon hood, windows, all power bolt ons EXCEPT supercharger, Fixed trans, full suspension @ default settings, full bodykit / aero options @ default downforce, RAcing Hard tires) but basically the car ended up around 592hp / 1420kg or so, I tried both the '02 GTS and the '06 SRT10 Coupe (had to add a little weight and drop a power bolt on or two for the SRT10) and they seemed to be almost identical in terms of performance / handling at the same power and weight.

That got me thinking about a class I'd got in an addon for Race 07 on the PC, there's a Swedish race class called the Camaro Cup using that late 90s Camaro style that is pretty cool.  Obviously we don't have the same tracks but we do have a possible car to use, while there is always the '10 Camaro SS Race Mod car I was actually thinking of the Camaro LM Race Car.  Ok we'd all be stuck with a Number 65 car I think but the car does come in a few stock colours can be repainted too.. maybe we could do something with that, a "Tuning Prohibited" Camaro LM Race Car Cup.

So err yeah my turn to stop rambling on now :D.

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 03:00:39 PM »

TunaPhreak, eXxBoxfan and myself all just recently finished a roughly year long Viper spec series.

So, speaking at least on my behalf, I would greatly prefer something else. ;)

PSN ID = dawson864

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 03:01:24 PM »

Camaro LM Race Car cup sounds good and I know someone else here wanted to run those. Nothing wrong with 65.  :)

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 03:47:47 PM »

Yeah, I'm down with anything ... one car ... no tuning ... there can be only one. Lets drive!!
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, 03:59:58 PM »

Ahh that's right it was the Scream GT Challenge with the ACR Viper I think?

As a result of the testing I did discover the '04 Z06 and '02 Viper GTS are quite similar with certain fixed upgrades (even at different PPs) so I might be able to find a selection of similar cars that work well together for a mostly stock sports car class we can use for something :).

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 06:32:34 PM »

Camaro LM Race Car cup sounds good and I know someone else here wanted to run those. Nothing wrong with 65.  :)

:stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid:

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 09:22:41 AM »

Ahh that's right it was the Scream GT Challenge with the ACR Viper I think?

As a result of the testing I did discover the '04 Z06 and '02 Viper GTS are quite similar with certain fixed upgrades (even at different PPs) so I might be able to find a selection of similar cars that work well together for a mostly stock sports car class we can use for something :).

Yeah that would be cool since it is 2 different cars than the ACR!

Camaro LM is one car I own but have never driven.  I see that dlr enjoys it though!

PSN ID = dawson864
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up