SupaTunaGT

• April 28, 2024, 09:35:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Around here we're just FAST enough to have FUN.

Race FAST!  Race HARD!!  Race CLEAN!!!   Have FUN!!!!

Long line Tunas!!!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Nevermind  (Read 3399 times)

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: Introducing: The Supa Tuna Racing Association (STRA)?
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 01:44:34 PM »

This might be something like MX was thinking with the original post / concept but it just occured to me today.  Perhaps we could do something like what iRacing does with it's 4+ week "seasons" with certain simple spec classes, sort of like a points series where by we keep results leaderboards for each class but more of a drop in thing where the points can be averaged at the end of each week.  That way it a class could have a specific day each week to run but also if a handful of people want to run a few quick races any night they can.

As an example for those that may not be familiar with the iRacing setup this is something like what I'm thinking of:

Spec Miata (fixed)

Car:  Mazda Roadster TC
PP:  480
Tuning:  prohibited (stock + oil change)
Tires:  Racing: Hard

Official race night:  Monday
Week 1 - Grand Valley East - 18 laps
Week 2 - Rome - 14 laps
Week 3 - Grand Valley East - 18 laps
Week 4 - Rome - 14 laps

STGT Touring Cup

Car:  Nissan SILVIA (S15) RM '02 / Acura NSX RM '91 / Honda INTEGRA TYPE R (DC5) RM '04
PP:  515PP
Tuning:  Power upgrades, transmission adjustment only (default aero / suspension settings)
Tires:  Racing Hard

Official race night:  Wednesday
Week 1 - Twin Ring Motegi East - 15 laps
Week 2 - Fuji Speedway GT - 12 laps
Week 3 - Tokyo R246 - 10 laps
Week 4 - Twin Ring Motegi East - 15 laps
Week 5 - Fuji Speedway GT - 12 laps
Week 6 - Tokyo R246 - 10 laps

Basically the concept would be (at least) one quick race per week that's maybe around 20-30 minutes long, on the official nights multiple races could be run if folks wanted or not if there are other Tuna events on the same night, other races could be run any time during the week and if results are recorded / posted then points can be averaged out so it doesn't matter too much if a person does just 2 races on the official night or 8 races in the same class over the course of the week.

At the end of a season's period the classes / cars / tracks could be switched for something different or simply repeated with a fresh start for the leaderboards either way.  Specs for actual classes could be kept fairly simple with fixed / prohibited tuning or maybe with generic required tunes for adjustable parts if we're using non-race cars.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 03:11:48 PM »

this^

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 03:25:37 PM »

This might be something like MX was thinking with the original post / concept but it just occured to me today.  Perhaps we could do something like what iRacing does with it's 4+ week "seasons" with certain simple spec classes, sort of like a points series where by we keep results leaderboards for each class but more of a drop in thing where the points can be averaged at the end of each week.  That way it a class could have a specific day each week to run but also if a handful of people want to run a few quick races any night they can.

As an example for those that may not be familiar with the iRacing setup this is something like what I'm thinking of:

Spec Miata (fixed)

Car:  Mazda Roadster TC
PP:  480
Tuning:  prohibited (stock + oil change)
Tires:  Racing: Hard

Official race night:  Monday
Week 1 - Grand Valley East - 18 laps
Week 2 - Rome - 14 laps
Week 3 - Grand Valley East - 18 laps
Week 4 - Rome - 14 laps

STGT Touring Cup

Car:  Nissan SILVIA (S15) RM '02 / Acura NSX RM '91 / Honda INTEGRA TYPE R (DC5) RM '04
PP:  515PP
Tuning:  Power upgrades, transmission adjustment only (default aero / suspension settings)
Tires:  Racing Hard

Official race night:  Wednesday
Week 1 - Twin Ring Motegi East - 15 laps
Week 2 - Fuji Speedway GT - 12 laps
Week 3 - Tokyo R246 - 10 laps
Week 4 - Twin Ring Motegi East - 15 laps
Week 5 - Fuji Speedway GT - 12 laps
Week 6 - Tokyo R246 - 10 laps

Basically the concept would be (at least) one quick race per week that's maybe around 20-30 minutes long, on the official nights multiple races could be run if folks wanted or not if there are other Tuna events on the same night, other races could be run any time during the week and if results are recorded / posted then points can be averaged out so it doesn't matter too much if a person does just 2 races on the official night or 8 races in the same class over the course of the week.

At the end of a season's period the classes / cars / tracks could be switched for something different or simply repeated with a fresh start for the leaderboards either way.  Specs for actual classes could be kept fairly simple with fixed / prohibited tuning or maybe with generic required tunes for adjustable parts if we're using non-race cars.

The first example is exactly what I'm talking about ... one car, no tuning, everyone has the same car and has the same performance. It's all driver. The second one looks like fun and I would certainly enjoy it ... however, it would not be what I'm talking about because certain cars would fare better on certain tracks. Some folks would do the testing to find that out, others would get lucky, and the field would spread out during the race and would not give us the same kind of doorknob to doorknob racing that we had last night. Still fun. Just not ... insanely tight and fun.    :D

EDIT: Ok, wait, now I get what you meant. The second one would fall under the modified category right? Touring Modified? If so, then yes, exactly. Some races would be Stock-UnModified and some would be Open-Modified. Yes. Precisely.

MX
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:29:06 PM by MX5_Racer_69 »
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 04:17:54 PM »

The first example is exactly what I'm talking about ... one car, no tuning, everyone has the same car and has the same performance. It's all driver. The second one looks like fun and I would certainly enjoy it ... however, it would not be what I'm talking about because certain cars would fare better on certain tracks. Some folks would do the testing to find that out, others would get lucky, and the field would spread out during the race and would not give us the same kind of doorknob to doorknob racing that we had last night. Still fun. Just not ... insanely tight and fun.    :D

EDIT: Ok, wait, now I get what you meant. The second one would fall under the modified category right? Touring Modified? If so, then yes, exactly. Some races would be Stock-UnModified and some would be Open-Modified. Yes. Precisely.

MX

Testing would be done by "us" (event organizers that is) beforehand to make sure that multiple cars perform closely enough, that way if necessary we can set specific limits for each car (e.g. car A is 300hp / 1100kg, car B is 275hp / 1000kg).

Yup you're right with the edit, I mean it could be completely open tuning with say a limit on power / weight or an actual spec for each of the cars is posted (parts to be added / specific adjustable settings) that people are required to use.  I guess you could call that a fixed-modified class, the cars are modified but to a fixed spec that we trust people to go by :).

So we'd have say 3 tuning classes:

Fixed - stock cars with "Tuning Prohibited" lounge setting
Fixed-Modified - cars with parts added and specific settings but with self imposed "tuning prohibited" rule
Modified - cars with a general PP or hp/kg limit and open tuning

So with those two examples I used above the "Spec Miata" is a Fixed class race and the "STGT Touring Cup" would be Fixed-Modified class race.  (I haven't actually tested those 3 cars, I just pulled 3 similar PP RM'd cars out of the air :D)

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 04:59:02 PM »

I would rather not repeat tracks, but everything else looks cool. I really like the 3 car group you listed Feldynn.

Although, repeating might be good, with at least three tracks
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 05:01:07 PM by Turbo-Tuna »

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »

I would rather not repeat tracks, but everything else looks cool. I really like the 3 car group you listed Feldynn.

Although, repeating might be good, with at least three tracks

That's the thing isn't it. Repeating could get boring, but it allows you to track improvement.  :copz:

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 06:02:59 PM »

To me, it's all about the cars. Keep things as simple as possible with the cars. The whole idea is remove as many variables as possible so that it's driver vs. driver. Obviously, running the same track would do that, but that might be going too far. My goal is to pit driver vs. driver, and varying the tracks aligns with that goal nicely.

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2012, 08:06:38 PM »

I like some of PD's own race cars. NSX RM, Z06 RM, Camaro '10 RM, TVR RM, 111R RM, Roadster TC, RX7 TC.

Having a single car series with any of those should be cool. Closer to stock the better.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2012, 10:55:16 PM »

I like some of PD's own race cars. NSX RM, Z06 RM, Camaro '10 RM, TVR RM, 111R RM, Roadster TC, RX7 TC.

Having a single car series with any of those should be cool. Closer to stock the better.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more the KISS principle applies. I tend to over complicate everything. But I've learned, start simple, evolve. Maybe the best way to begin is a Stock series and a Modified series, just two categories. Then add more as you need them?

MX

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 02:00:04 PM »

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more the KISS principle applies. I tend to over complicate everything. But I've learned, start simple, evolve. Maybe the best way to begin is a Stock series and a Modified series, just two categories. Then add more as you need them?

MX

Ahh the KISS principle, to Rock n Roll all nite and party every day?  ;D

But seriously what about a fixed / stock series using the Camaro LM Race Car?  I've not yet tried the car on these tracks yet to confirm it runs well enough stock but off the top of my head (well from something I was pondering for the Vipers) how about a 4 week season at DRC and Laguna Seca?

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2012, 03:56:14 PM »

TunaPhreak, eXxBoxfan and myself all just recently finished a roughly year long Viper spec series.

So, speaking at least on my behalf, I would greatly prefer something else. ;)

:D

that we did :D  Fun car but even making love to the same beautiful woman month in and month out (did he just say that?) can get mundane after a while :D

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2012, 04:14:30 PM »

MX

Ahh the KISS principle, to Rock n Roll all nite and party every day?  ;D

But seriously what about a fixed / stock series using the Camaro LM Race Car?  I've not yet tried the car on these tracks yet to confirm it runs well enough stock but off the top of my head (well from something I was pondering for the Vipers) how about a 4 week season at DRC and Laguna Seca?

Seriously, the Camaro '10 RM would be cooler...everyone could have different numbers  ;D

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2012, 07:32:47 AM »

I'm inclined to agree with Turbo  :P

PSN ID = dawson864

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2012, 11:56:35 AM »

Pick a car, let's go.   :)

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2012, 06:35:34 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up