SupaTunaGT

• April 28, 2024, 04:56:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannonball Run Rally kind of thing  (Read 3124 times)

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
Cannonball Run Rally kind of thing
« on: January 10, 2013, 11:55:08 AM »

I was thinking this morning about how much I enjoyed team events in the past.  It was almost as much fun in preparing for the event as it was running in the event.  Back then, it was usually Hey and Spec and me working on things.  Hey was responsible for tuning, I was responsible for numbers things (how much fuel per lap, which laps to pit on, etc), and Spec was responsible for not only coming up with a tune that he and I could use (no one can use the same setup as Hey), but also for ignoring my lap counts and running out of fuel.

Anyway, I was playing with my balls in the shower this morning and I started to think about not only how much I enjoy playing with my balls, but also that I miss the team concept.  As I spent more time thinking about it, and playing with my balls, I thought about a team enduro.  Then it occurred to me that not everyone likes DRC as much as I do so the thought of a Cannonball Run Rally kind of thing made more sense.

I'm just thinking out loud, you could do an American run at DRC, Indy Road and Laguna Seca.  Three races, 45-60 minutes long with one guy taking one track and another taking two tracks, or even have three guys on a team with each taking one track, or add a 4rd track, HSR or something generic and make it four 45-minute races with two-man or three-man teams.

Or you could do a Japanese run at Fuji, Suzuka and Tsukuba.  Or you could do a European run with the Ring, Spa, Sarthe and Monza.  Or you could just do 3-4 tracks at random.

Does anyone else have any interest in this kind of thing?  Enduros seem to be how I roll these days.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Cannonball Run Rally kind of thing
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 12:09:58 PM »

I have interest in racing.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 04:47:24 PM »

This would be perfect if we could create point to point tracks.  I'm interested to see how this develops, nonetheless.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 07:48:30 PM »

Chrome--that's the way I was thinking, at least the way I understand what you wrote. 

Guys form teams.

One guy on team races first event, say Indy Road.  Time is plugged in.
Another guy (or same guy) on team races second event, say Daytona Road.  Time is plugged in and added to first time.
Another guy (or same guy) on team races third event, say Laguna Seca.  Time is plugged in and added to first two times. 

If it's a three city rally, lowest time wins.  It's possible guys might time out, so their time is just 3 minutes plus 1 second for each spot behind the slowest guy who didn't time out...something like that. 

You can have smaller rally type events with just one guy, or longer, full day events that cover as many tracks or as much time as you want.  I was hoping it would be a team event, however.

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 09:21:18 PM »

I'll throw this out there then...three cars, three tracks, three lounges, three people per team (one team member fom each team in each lounge.)
For argument's sake, let's say the Z06 C6, LFA, and F430, at DRC, Fuji, and Spa. Any car can be run on any track, but a team must use all three cars.
Three races are run separately and times compiled afterwards, giving large km run by a team in one night....under an hour....of racing.
The only glitch is that Every team Needs three drivers.
Alternatively, this event could be run on diffent nights, allowing teams to have 1-3 drivers. Scoring based on total time.

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 07:44:14 AM »

I like everything being discussed here, especially Turbo's suggestions.

(oh and Rick's mention of playing with his balls  :D )

PSN ID = dawson864

AgentWD40_FL

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 08:06:32 AM »

That .... I could have done without ....  :o

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 10:00:28 AM »

That .... I could have done without ....  :o

I specifically stated "I have interest in racing."

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 12:33:30 PM »

Strictly on the subject of racing, were you thinking of Cannonball Run the movie or the really Cannonball Run Rally?

I think this might be a good chance of whipping out the exotic cars from the 70 and 80 to do the series.

Also/or I believe the last format used for the modern Cannonball or at least similar events, uses real tracks and point to point timed sessions.  If I recall GT5 has point to point races. Perhaps a combined off line point to point time trial with online track races.  There is a special event in GT5 like this, perhaps it could provide the format and races, just move it to online.  ???

TunaPhreak

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • Do or do not, there is no try.
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 01:28:02 PM »

Team racing = good.  i'm down as long as I don't have to play with my own or rick's balls.
Race smarter, not harder!
http://www.mygranturismo.net/26145
My PSN is PsychoPhreak, not TunaPhreak. You can tune a car but you can't TunaPhreak!

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 02:47:28 PM »

I really just wanted a platform so that I could talk about my balls, but since some have expressed interest, in the racing, not my balls, I was thinking of Cannonball Run the movie.  Something similar to the time trial things we used to do.  I'd list a car and variations of the six tracks (back in Prologue).  Guys would run laps and post their fastest.  I'd log it in for each track, and then calculate a total as guys progressed through the tracks.

Winner was determined by best total time on the six tracks.  A pat on the back was awarded for winning at one particular track.

For this post, in addition to talking about my balls, I was thinking of a team format of 2-3 guys.  Originally my thought was to have all the races done in one day, thus an enduro kind of thing.  However, it could easily be done over several days, though then the team format isn't necessary. 

For an American rally, start the day at the beach with a 45-60 minute race at Daytona and record the times.  Travel north to Rick's backyard and run another 45-60 minute race at Road Indy, record the times.  Follow the sun and finish the day at Laguna Seca with another 45-60 minute race.  Record the time and then total the times of the three races.  Winner is best time.

You could have 2 or 3 man teams, you could add another track, you could award time bonuses to the winners of the individual races, shit like that. 

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 03:43:14 PM »

no complaints here

PSN ID = dawson864

Grilled Tuna

• Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 05:49:46 PM »

1 like a 3 car, 3 track time trial?

2 3 races different cars and tracks best average postion over the 3? or the best overall time of the 3?

3 i have no idea how to incorperate the teamthing other than like a wheel barrow race at daytona or the test course like a 800hp vette pushing a 500 fiat aka teammate best paired total times for win?

4 or back to cannonballing 2 drivers 4 tracks full damage relay type 30 minute races each driver runs 2 tracks(cars??) best combined team time for the win.2-3 hours overall 1 night kinda like an enduro with pee ball breaks.

look like a somewhat appropriate place for a brainstorm/fart...

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 03:05:10 PM »

So what ever happened to this idea?

PSN ID = dawson864

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 04:12:58 PM »

I think it died a painful, horrific death.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up