SupaTunaGT

• March 28, 2024, 04:28:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 65   Go Down

Author Topic: Assetto Corsa  (Read 97952 times)

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Assetto Corsa
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 01:50:50 PM »

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 02:00:57 PM »

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 02:21:25 PM »

Yeah.  It gets rid of that huge logo on the bottom left.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 05:41:48 PM »

Took me a few laps to figure out that I had to blip the throttle on downshifting. 

There's an autoblip setting in the menus somewhere... I can't remember where right now.

Also, so far my only complaint is in the FFB department.  I feel a lot of "force" but not much "feedback", if you know what I mean.  I may also not have my wheel setup properly yet though.  Still, it feels pretty darn good and I'm enjoying it overall.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 07:05:31 PM »

Took me a few laps to figure out that I had to blip the throttle on downshifting. 

There's an autoblip setting in the menus somewhere... I can't remember where right now.

Also, so far my only complaint is in the FFB department.  I feel a lot of "force" but not much "feedback", if you know what I mean.  I may also not have my wheel setup properly yet though.  Still, it feels pretty darn good and I'm enjoying it overall.

blipping the throttle is easy enough to do (I left foot brake).  I'd just been driving cars or sims that didn't require it.  That said, I wish more sims were like LFS in telling you exactly what each car had for the transmission i.e. h-pattern, vs. sequential, autoblip, auto-throttle cut etc.  LFS was neat that way.  Additionally, if you set the shifter to h-pattern, it would automatically use it for cars with h-pattern and use the paddles with cars with sequential shifters.  Some cars you had to lift the throttle when shifting while others had an autothrottle cut so you didn't.  With other sims,  I'm never sure if I should be lifting off the throttle when up-shifting or not.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 07:32:18 PM »

Down to a 24.897   Hit the 720P button.....

AC 1:24.897

There's 21's being reported.  There's no fucking way I'll get a 21.  If I get into the 23's I'll be happy.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 03:02:55 AM »

If I get into the 23's I'll be happy.

I'm happy.

1:23.685 due to Banana Power

I think a 22 is possible.  I was up a half a second on this lap but borked the last two corners.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 12:35:37 PM »

I'm about 2s off that pace.  Last night I tried it out a bit but also tried NetKar pro, rFactor2 and iRacing.  I reduced the FFB strength on AC and the feel was much better.  I think that I'd place AC just behind rFactor2 and ahead of iRacing.  After trying NetKar pro, I'm not sure that I wouldn't put it first.  It felt really, really good.  LFS would be in the mix with all of them but I haven't tried it in a while.  Some thoughts:

iRacing:  I don't really get a sense of oversteer through the ffb or sound of tires.  I don't get a great sense of slip angle.  The advantage that ffb reacts to small fluctuations on the road like you would feel in a real car.  This might be do to more detailed tracks.  Maybe a little hard to prevent a spin.  I'm not sure if that is a tire model issue or because you can't sense the slip angle until it is too late.

AC:  Not sure what to say specifically.  Everything just feels a little better than iRacing (except track detail).  A little more sense of slip angle, and little more sense of understeer through ffb.  Easier to prevent spins.  Just feels really good.

rFactor2: this just clicks for me.  I like the tire sounds, really informative.  ffb through understeer isn't any better than AC maybe a little less but with the tire sounds and visual sense of slip angle, I really feel like I can control the throttle to keep the car at the proper slip angle.

NetKar pro: just did a few laps in this but wow.  It was really good.  The best sense of oversteer through ffb out of any sim.  You could feel the car skip across the surface in a slide.  My only thought was that the formula car that I tested was a little more biased towards understeer than what I would think.  Not sure if it had lift off oversteer or not.  But it sure did feel good.

LFS: it's been a while since I've played this but from what I remember, LFS didn't give you a great sense of oversteer through ffb.  What it was really really good at was giving you a good sense of slip angle visually so you could control it with the throttle.

pCARS: Depending on the build and car, a significant step down from all of the above but it is pre-alpha and fluctuates a lot.  It does give feedback with oversteer through ffb but it seems a little exaggerated.  pCars is developing everything at once (graphics, content, physics) with maybe more emphasis on graphics while rFactor2 went with physics first.

This is mostly just about feel.  There are a lot of other physics features that are different throughout the games.  For example, in LFS and rFactor2 you can flat spot the tires, while in iRacing you can't (not sure of the others). rFactor has track rubber in and weather.  AC won't have weather till future releases.  NetKar pro has weather.  It also has thunder and lightning which is pretty cool though I think they'd stop any race in a thunder storm.

After reading all this, please realize that I probably don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 06:58:54 PM »

Sounds like the tech demo has the same problem pCARS had a while back.  Better tick/frame rate = better lap times.  Lower tick/frame rate = possible stuttering = loss of time.

I think this is the same type of issue that GT5 suffered from when there was that timing bug with more than 12 people in a room.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 07:02:54 PM »

Sounds like the tech demo has the same problem pCARS had a while back.  Better tick/frame rate = better lap times.  Lower tick/frame rate = possible stuttering = loss of time.

I think this is the same type of issue that GT5 suffered from when there was that timing bug with more than 12 people in a room.

That makes sense.  That's why I'm slower than you.    ;D

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 07:09:53 PM »

I'm about 2s off that pace. 

Sounds like you need some banana power.  ;D

AC: <snip>  Just feels really good.

I agree.  The more I play the more I like.  Still wish there was a little more "feedback" going over bumps and kerbs, but I just read that this was done by design and the final release will have a setting to weaken/strenghen some FFB effects.

rFactor2: this just clicks for me. 

Me too.  It's probably the main game I'll be playing for the forseeable future.  There are several events that people are planning elsewhere.  One of them will be starting this Saturday in the afternoon time frame (eastern).  The others are a few weeks away but one will be Monday nights and the other either Friday or Saturday nights.

NetKar pro: just did a few laps in this but wow.  It was really good. 

Haven't even tried it yet.  Bought it just for AC demo.  Will try it soon.  There's a bunch of tracks for it available here - http://www.drivingitalia.net/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=19

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 08:44:11 AM »

I don't know who this guy is, but I HATE him.  :laugh :laugh

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 09:05:30 AM »

LAN party!

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 05:43:01 PM »

Ran across this thread on a Miata site...

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=490687
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 06:37:38 PM »

Ran across this thread on a Miata site...

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=490687

Good idea on their part.  I've been following his Miata model over on a thread at GTP.  Looks like they're doing a really nice job.

Thanks for the link, Chrome.  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 65   Go Up