SupaTunaGT

• April 28, 2024, 07:13:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Linked Events

• Euro Trip--Italy: March 21, 2013
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Euro Trip Itinerary--Day 1  (Read 5826 times)

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Euro Trip Itinerary--Day 1
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 06:56:36 PM »

I'll be in the room as soon as this blasted PSN update is finished installing!!! ::)

PSN ID = dawson864

Grilled Tuna

• Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 07:04:26 PM »

:stoopid:...updates...   

...I'll be in a 8C if i make it in time for the green
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 07:10:25 PM by Grilled Tuna »

TunaPhreak

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • Do or do not, there is no try.
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 07:52:43 PM »

Updated and tried joining, room full :-(
Race smarter, not harder!
http://www.mygranturismo.net/26145
My PSN is PsychoPhreak, not TunaPhreak. You can tune a car but you can't TunaPhreak!

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 08:57:01 PM »

That's weird.  I don't ever remember seeing more than 11 in the room at any given time.

TunaPhreak

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • Do or do not, there is no try.
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 08:59:25 PM »

Exactly, room was maxed at 11
Race smarter, not harder!
http://www.mygranturismo.net/26145
My PSN is PsychoPhreak, not TunaPhreak. You can tune a car but you can't TunaPhreak!

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 10:22:08 PM »

Sorry Phreak.  It wasn't the only thing I messed up tonight.  We ran in Feldynn's room.  I checked most of the parameters for the race and that was the first mistake.  I checked the laps, whether fuel consumption and tire wear was set to fast, and crap like that.  What I forgot to check was the race finish delay countdown thingy.  I don't think it was set at more than 30...so I've only got two finish times (meaning the guys finishing poorly are still very much in this Cannonball Run type thing).

1)  Rick--1:06:28.579
 2)  Badaboya--1:06:29.234
 3)  Chrome--+1 second
 4)  Dawson--+2 seconds
 5)  ExXbox--+3 seconds
 6)  EnyoGrill--+4 seconds
 7)  TurboTuna--+5 seconds
 8)  Mmacek--+6 seconds
 9)  Feldynn--+7 seconds
10) MondoTuna--+8 seconds
11) Cipriani--+9 seconds

We off to a slow start due to an update and guys getting booted left and right.  The race finally got started about 10 minutes late.  Then Grill joined the room.  We waiting a few laps to see if Dude was going to join and after realizing he wasn't, we restarted the race so Grill could join us.

As the race reached double digit laps, guys started to realize preparation was key for this race because the issue at hand was one pit stop or two.  It could be done either way in the Alfa, but if you were going to only make one stop, you needed to know it early.  Cip realized it early, Mac didn't.

It turns out, it only sort of mattered.  I went for one stop while Badaboya went for two.  We effectively finished in a dead heat.

Question time:  As I started getting ready for this, I went out in the Jag, ran it hard and got 14 laps before needing fuel.  I figured a 30 lap race would be perfect...if you ran crazy hard, you might or might not make 30 laps with just one stop. 

After that, I ran the Aston.  Ran it hard and again got 14 laps, but had just enough fuel for 1 more, meaning 15 was only going to require one stop.  Then I ran the Alfa.  Ran it hard and got 14 laps, only to realize that if I ran it a bit easier, I could get 16, if the tires would last.  I could run 1:58 flat in the Alfa, but ruined the tires.  If I help back and ran 2:01 laps, I could get 16 laps on the fuel and could probably get the same on tires. 

So, I knew I could get by on one stop, but I had to baby the car.  I find the strategy in racing as entertaining as the racing itself.  But I get the feeling others don't feel the same way.  For future events, do you want strategy to play any part, or do you not simply want to hop in the car, drive the shit out of it, and not worry about anything else?

waverider*tuna

• Albacore Tuna
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 11:02:14 PM »

Actually I was a not thinking about fuel due to lack of preparation. I only new about this event from about 7 pm est. Plenty of time but Bada and I didn't start practicing until 9 pm . I ran My Jag cause well, I though the cars were going to be equal. Also I don't often run long events and was not figuring on needing to stop more than once. I ran eight laps in tests and tyres looked to be ok. So Iwould say maybe a warning of Hey Drivers fuel may be an issue. Good Race Congrats Rick n Crew.
Mike 8)

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 07:18:57 AM »

Rick I thought the formatting was perfect.  I felt like my Jaguar (with a 2 stop strategy) was very competitive.  I had one big off (in the last turn) that cost me over 20 seconds and 1-2 other little mistakes that hurt and dropped me back.  However for almost the entire 2nd half of the race I was gaining ground on the leaders consistently.  While maintaining a balance between tire wear and speed I was running consistent 2:00s - 2:01s.  My best lap was around lap 28, a 1:59.393 with no drafting.  The big boy can hustle.

And now, I feel like I should apologize.  Since the race started about 40 minutes late...about partway through the delays (9:15ish) I informed TunaPhreak that we hadn't started.  I encouraged him to set up and get in if possible, but wasn't sure if he could pull it off in time (mainly b/c of the PSN update).  Since we had already had several delays and as I didn't know how long it would take for him to be ready I kept my mouth shut and didn't mention it in the lounge.

I feel bad for that, he wanted to join in.  It's on me for not saying anything so I apologize  :(

PSN ID = dawson864

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 08:31:01 AM »

Phreak, due to a couple issues that weren't handled well, I have a couple options to offer to you as an apology:

Option 1--You pick up 12rd place at 10 seconds behind the second place car. 
Option 2--You pick up 1th place, ahead of Badaboya and I take over 12rd place as punishment, 10 seconds behind the second place car.

Because I failed to noticed the race delay thing, everyone is still capable of winning this.  I'll let you decide which option you pick.

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 09:27:32 AM »

I would've joined last night (tried to), but even though the room was MAX'd out, I had a honey-do come up.  Can I be 13 (my lucky number) next time?  And I don't need any "bonus", I expect to be last anyways.  Mainly because I do this stuff for fub and relaxation - points don't matter to me...

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 09:51:53 AM »

I would've joined last night (tried to), but even though the room was MAX'd out, I had a honey-do come up.  Can I be 13 (my lucky number) next time?  And I don't need any "bonus", I expect to be last anyways.  Mainly because I do this stuff for fub and relaxation - points don't matter to me...

Charlie is more than welcome to join.  Three of the four cars are a dream to drive, though some guys mentioned they were slippery and didn't stop well.  My car was exquisite and I'm looking forward to driving it again.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 10:12:51 AM »

That's weird.  I don't ever remember seeing more than 11 in the room at any given time.

I'll have to check my lounge settings and see if it's somehow set to lower max number of players, no idea why it would be and 11 seems like an odd number but I haven't checked the defaults in forever.  If I do have screwed up lounge settings though I'd be more than happy to take a penalty, offer Phreak my (albeit shitty) spot and move to the bottom behind Charlie, or something else :).

On a car related note I really did enjoy driving the Jag, it handled nicely and wasn't too terribly prone to oversteer.  Only problem I had with stopping was due to my own inconsistency, the brakes on the Jag did seem pretty good but they were a bit finiky so if you didn't brake "just so" it was really easy to over / under brake.  Brakes supplied by Gole D Locks, they only stop if you use the pedal "just right" :).

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 10:27:18 AM »

I was completely unprepared. I'd showed up with the three RWD cars and took the one that nobody was using - DB9. You had good reason not to use it. It couldn't notice any advantage over the other two...which I tested After the race. Underpowered and not especially good in corners. it was also hard on tires and fuel, but that's partly me as well. I knew after 7 laps that it was a two stopper for me.

My best lap without a draft was a low 1:52. I did two laps afterward in each of the other two and all 4 laps were below 1:51.5. Still nowhere near competitive with some of you last night, but interesting to me.

I don't think strategy was too important, as noted by the time between You and badaboya, Rick. Strategy didn't hurt me at all. I simply wasn't fast in that Aston, and probably wouldn't have been in any car. Everyone needs to be careful of fuel though. always make fuel calculations without the pit's recommendation, especially if tire wear is fast or very fast.

IF you want strategy slightly less, you could have, for example, made this race 25 laps or 35(?). 25 would make 2 stops unnecessary and probably a very bad idea, even for me, 35 would probably make two stops the only reasonable option. It would in a sense even things out so that most people are 'forced' into the same number of stops, though the timing of the stops might be flexible.

That's all I got now. I'll spew more BS another time, perhaps.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:28:58 AM by Turbo-Tuna »

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 10:38:49 AM »

I had planned on running the DB9, but when I checked it and the others last night, the Alfa was the only one that didn't have Stage engine mods. It's kinda funny, I've used that Alfa 3 times, and all 3 have been for tuneless evnets. It's a pretty sweet ride, but it'll bite you in the ass if you're not careful.

I went the 1 stop route, even though at lap 10 I didn't think I would be able to. First half of the race, I ran consistent 2:00 laps for a good 8-9. Second half for some reason felt a little looser, and while I managed a couple 2 minute laps, most were 01s-03. My hands were killing me.

"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 11:22:40 AM »

I was completely unprepared. I'd showed up with the three RWD cars and took the one that nobody was using - DB9. You had good reason not to use it. It couldn't notice any advantage over the other two...which I tested After the race. Underpowered and not especially good in corners. it was also hard on tires and fuel, but that's partly me as well. I knew after 7 laps that it was a two stopper for me.

My best lap without a draft was a low 1:52. I did two laps afterward in each of the other two and all 4 laps were below 1:51.5. Still nowhere near competitive with some of you last night, but interesting to me.

I don't think strategy was too important, as noted by the time between You and badaboya, Rick. Strategy didn't hurt me at all. I simply wasn't fast in that Aston, and probably wouldn't have been in any car. Everyone needs to be careful of fuel though. always make fuel calculations without the pit's recommendation, especially if tire wear is fast or very fast.

IF you want strategy slightly less, you could have, for example, made this race 25 laps or 35(?). 25 would make 2 stops unnecessary and probably a very bad idea, even for me, 35 would probably make two stops the only reasonable option. It would in a sense even things out so that most people are 'forced' into the same number of stops, though the timing of the stops might be flexible.

That's all I got now. I'll spew more BS another time, perhaps.

These longer races are an event for me.  I don't enjoy some of the racing nights where we grab a car and run one race at one track, then visit another, then visit another.  So, I look forward to the longer races that are thrown from time to time.  I enjoy the preparation of the race.  In any enduro type race, I usually know exactly how many liters of fuel each lap takes because I can then figure out how many liters I need at each stop to finish the race with as little as possible...no point in carrying around any extra weight.  I'd jotted down the Jag took about 7 liters per lap, the Aston about 6.4 liters and the Alfa about 6.2 liters.  I also jotted down some notes about tire wear.

After early initial testing, I chose to bump the race from 30 laps where practically anyone could make it with one stop, up to 32 laps where you could likely make it, but you had to work it.  Again, for me, it was all about strategy.  My car was perfectly capable or running 1:58 laps, but I'd need to make two stops, so I opted to let Mmacek and Cip get away early and instead ran 2:01 and 2:02 laps.  As mentioned, it really didn't matter because of how close BB and I finished...but it made for a dramatic finish because if we'd have had to race for one more turn, BB would have caught me. 

I'm still not sure how exactly I want to proceed because I do think strategy should be involved.  If not, we could just race on racing softs with tire wear turned off.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up