SupaTunaGT

• April 25, 2024, 11:45:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's talk about Six, baby.  (Read 148104 times)

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
Re: Let's talk about Six, baby.
« Reply #2355 on: October 02, 2015, 09:14:07 PM »

Gotta love this place!

Ask and ye shall receive.  Thanks Chrome.  It worked.

:)

I've got a recreation of a road(NC 226A) my wife and I terrorized in the mountains a couple years back, but it's not translating the experience like I'd hoped. Haven't saved it on the ps3, but still have it on the app. Not sure what to do with it. Sierra would be a much better place to have it, but PD logic only lets us trace on one theme.  ::)

I did make a free lance track on Sierra that's pretty decent.

Also, I grabbed a random guys recreation of Complex String from GTP, and it's not half bad. Loved that track back in the day.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #2356 on: October 03, 2015, 11:18:09 AM »

I had the transfer failed message last night too, but I think I just shut down the app and logged back into PSN and it worked.

Chrome, so the ability to use the background image to trace is only on the flat Eifel then?  That does suck, but I'd bet it's the elevation variations that they figured would not allow you to create your track the way you want anyways... a flat(ter) surface allows that much more easily.  Still, we should have the freedom to try.

I found a few more annoying limitations:

Kart tracks, or even using karts on any of the tracks is a very precarious ordeal.

Eifel (both) - curbing is not actual raised, slanted curbing, but a strip placed where it should be, leaving a large pertruding shelf where the road sits.  All cars feel this as a sharp tug on your wheel when you hit curbing (not the usual impact of the curb).  But Karts, forget about it.  You are left with only one option... never hit a curb or a track edge, or you're dead.

Death Valley - Does not have any curbing at all.  That is actually better for karts, because the above situation at the "Eifels" is not present.  However, the immediacy of the invisible wall creates major problems for any minor bumps against it.  Some have raised concern about wall-riding, but that is not likely to occur given how sticky those invisible walls are.  It would almost never yeild you positive results as a would be cheater.

Sierra (what's it called?) - has much better curbing that is actually raised and slanted, much like what we have in AC and pCARS.  This stuff does not adversely affect karts attempting to innocently gliding over them... up to a point.  The curbing pieces here are much longer than those that are placed on the Eifels.  When two pieces come together, there is a taper on each end.  If you place two  pieces in succession, the two connecting tapered pieces create a small hole in the curbing.  If your kart hits one of those, and it will, you are still very much deceased.

Some good stuff, but also some bad stuff, unfortunately...

Boston77Bruins

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD
« Reply #2357 on: October 03, 2015, 11:54:39 AM »

I made VIR's southern track last night.  It did not translate well.  I am having difficultly adjusting the scale when I import a picture.  My track seemed exceptionally longer than it should be.

I do like the way we are able to basically trace a track we've imported.

Wish everybody could enjoy the fun and frustrations with this. :adam:

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2358 on: October 04, 2015, 07:13:35 AM »

For my first attempt, I've sorta recreated the GT3 version of the Rome Circuit.  I had to alter a turn or two to fit within the limitations and I sorta put the curbs on the wrong side of the track in some places.  Overall I think not too bad for my first attempt. It is shared, I admit it could use some more tweaking but it made for a fun arcade race.

So far the biggest issue I see is getting the scale correct.  I'm use to dealing with a grid of 1 mile X 1 mile squares cut into quarters.  The in game grid is set using the metric system, so the grid size is just slightly off from what I am used to. (Its the same but different)  I think to get a track in the proper scale you'll need to convert it's information to the metric system. Then match the scale of the drawing to the scale in the app and hope the image your using is not distorted. Its a real pain when dealing with survey data created in the US.

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2359 on: October 04, 2015, 07:29:20 AM »

When you convert to miles in lower right corner does the grid scaling change? I converted mine to miles right away but did not consider the grid.

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2360 on: October 04, 2015, 09:55:44 AM »

Yes it does.  The more I play with it, it may not be as bad as I'm thinking.  It should more or less work.  It is limited.  You can't adjust the grid to a 1 mile square, the max is 4000 feet, the minimum is a 100 feet square.

nosoks

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2361 on: October 12, 2015, 05:19:23 PM »

I stole a version of Hockenheimring yesterday from someone. I don't know the track well enough to speak for its accuracy, but man what a fun track it is. I ran the Falcon in the rain for a bit. It made me smile.  8)
If everyone follows rule #1 we'd need no other rules
Rule #1 = Pay attention

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2362 on: October 13, 2015, 12:20:20 PM »

I know we are starting to post these in a dedicated thread, so I'll just mention that we used someone's version of Watkins Glen and it definitely felt almost as good as a PD created track.  The curbing at that location (Eifel) is still a major shortcoming (edge of road is raised above curbing pieces), but I'd say this is a good example of just how much this new creator could add life to the game.

It's also a good reminder that, while everyone can make a track, there are probably only a few who can make really, really, good ones.  Watkins, being a recreation of a real track, is already "beta tested" through years of real racing on it.  No need to test whether the layout is good for racing.  However, user creations from scratch, probably do need more beta testing with others before finalizing design etc.

In FPS games and others where one can make a level/map, world etc. such as Halo 4's "Forge" which I got very... umm... intimate with, often times it is best to create, test, re-create, several times over, and then finally post a finished version for everyone.

Not saying anyone in particular needs to polish their tracks more, but generally something ot keep in mind.  Man... halo 4 had some horrible levels.  People thought they were good just because they were excited about the fact that they made them.

nosoks

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2363 on: November 25, 2015, 04:09:24 PM »

Now everyone.... don't get excited 

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/news/00_3771023.html
Rule #1 = Pay attention

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #2364 on: November 25, 2015, 06:59:46 PM »

They're just going to turn on the background Christmas music. 
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

nosoks

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2365 on: November 25, 2015, 07:41:56 PM »

Rule #1 = Pay attention

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2366 on: January 04, 2016, 02:06:24 PM »

When I get a chance, I do Quick Matches to earn the credits necessary to buy all cars. There are about a third left to buy and store.

The latest QM at GVS is really good, since all of the people driving above their pay grade are in the other QMes. You can use a lot of very good cars, even ringer cars, and earn lots of credits. Some of the drivers are really, really good, too, or you will drop the slow ones driving Hudsons and they are not an issue on the track. Hardly any crashing or bashing, in my experience.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2367 on: January 04, 2016, 02:52:30 PM »

When I get a chance, I do Quick Matches to earn the credits necessary to buy all cars. There are about a third left to buy and store.

The latest QM at GVS is really good, since all of the people driving above their pay grade are in the other QMes. You can use a lot of very good cars, even ringer cars, and earn lots of credits. Some of the drivers are really, really good, too, or you will drop the slow ones driving Hudsons and they are not an issue on the track. Hardly any crashing or bashing, in my experience.

I ran a Subi @ Tsukuba and managed to go from P11 to P2. It was not a clean race, but the offenders only managed to ghost themselves.  :)

nosoks

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2368 on: January 15, 2016, 05:36:46 PM »

this probably means absolutely nothing, but Hyundai is running a TV ad here for their "N" hatchback. The ad spends a good deal of time showing a VGT type car on a GT looking Nurburgring
Rule #1 = Pay attention

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2369 on: January 15, 2016, 07:34:08 PM »

It would not be the first time a car company used a gt gamer  theme in their advertisement.  I still say that Nissan super bowl ad was tguns' story in a nutshell...
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159   Go Up