• April 23, 2024, 06:09:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our new HOME!!!

These ARE the TUNAs you seek...

CHECK OUT our site, BECOME a member, JOIN our "EVNETS", and RACE with us...

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ... so I've been thinking  (Read 3366 times)

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
... so I've been thinking
« on: July 04, 2013, 10:03:05 AM »

How about a weather enduro?

After watching this years Le Mans 24 and Six hours at the Glen and suffering through 4 or 5 days of basically non stop rain. Its got me thinking about hosting a 2 hour enduro in the rain... or at least partial rain.

Right now I'm in the early planning stages and negotiating for a race sponcer.

What I got so far is that it would be a 1 make race. The car would be in the 300hp or less range and would be a premium car for those that want to go hard core and use cockpit view and windshield wipers. The race would be held at one of the following tracks with the weather set to 75% weather 50% wet surface and a weather changeability level of 5 or higher.

High Speed Ring
Le Mans 09
Spa
Suzuka
Monza

I'm open to suggestions, ideas, or just tell me the idea sucks and I should move on.  :D

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
Re: ... so I've been thinking
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 10:23:25 AM »

I know in Texas we could use some rain...  So I wouldn't mind getting wet.

Maybe stick with HSR because we all feel pretty comfortable there - wet or dry?  Just a thought...

Anyways, I could run a test for you at DWTT if you'd like.  I'm sure everyone has heard of the Native American's "Rain Dance"...    :badpic

TunahCroonah

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Yes, I run with scissors, and?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 10:44:01 AM »

I know "Tallstar" has!  But he avoids rain....Make Teepee wet....Water run on bed.

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 03:27:50 PM »

I know in Texas we could use some rain...  So I wouldn't mind getting wet.

Maybe stick with HSR because we all feel pretty comfortable there - wet or dry?  Just a thought...

Anyways, I could run a test for you at DWTT if you'd like.  I'm sure everyone has heard of the Native American's "Rain Dance"...   

Your more than welcome to some of our rain.  After the 24 tires I checked and the standing water is half way up my yard now.  Its the first time I've had standing water in almost 10 years and I think we may have one day of rain left before we get a break.

A test would be welcome and much appreciated.  ;D

nosoks

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 07:30:07 AM »

I know "Tallstar" has!  But he avoids rain....Make Teepee wet....Water run on bed.

I read.... "make toupee wet'   
If everyone follows rule #1 we'd need no other rules
Rule #1 = Pay attention

Brindle

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 04:37:22 PM »

Any updates dlr?

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 06:18:50 PM »

Sort of... I'm stuck...

I got the car picked out. Premium BMW M3.  I figure why not to put the "Ultimate Driving Machine" to the test in GT5s weather. Not to mention the cockpit view is pretty good.  The A pillars are not intrusive and the mirror is usable.

Where I'm stuck at is finding a balance between fun and challenge.  Easy Track (HSR) vs. Harder track (LeMans/Suzuka). Tuning vs. no Tuning.

As for a date I figured after Charlie does the second 24 tires.  Most likely a Saturday or Sunday in between Tunacup weekends.

I'm open to idea or suggestions  :-\

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 06:28:39 PM »

HSR can become quite difficult with weather. I think it's all the banking. I will give a vote to Suzuka. As far as tuning goes. It's easier without, but sometimes cars could use a little help.

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 11:34:23 AM »

With the three day weekend coming up I may play around a little more and see how it goes. I think I need to try a few longer races at the different tracks.

Also, I had totally forgotten that the paved Eiger track has weather change.  neat. 

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 02:58:28 PM »

sounds interesting, for sure.  Some people really love the challenge of dealing with the rain.

My biggest suggestion is do a LOT of testing with the weather settings.

It may not seem this way by just glancing at the settings, but two of the most important things is the time change variable, and the weather changability variable.

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 11:37:56 AM »

sounds interesting, for sure.  Some people really love the challenge of dealing with the rain.

My biggest suggestion is do a LOT of testing with the weather settings.

It may not seem this way by just glancing at the settings, but two of the most important things is the time change variable, and the weather changability variable.

And this is actually one of my biggest issues/frustrations with planning this.  The time variable is not much of an issue, most of the tracks with weather do not use time except Nut Butt ring and Le-Mans and I doubt I'll use either of them for a first race.

The weather though... I'm of the impression that it does not quite work right.  So far at HSR no matter what I set the weather to, with the exception of using the changeability at level 0 or 1, it quits raining by lap 3, and even at level 1 it almost stops and the rain just turns into a drizzle.

On a side note I have found that at most of the tracks a weather setting of 75%, 0 surface water and 0 changeability results in a nice dense fog with no rain. (great for Spa)  :copz:

If anyone wants to mess around with it, I figure Sunday morning and/or Monday morning I'll spend some time in dlrws6 lounge trying out settings and tracks.  For now all you need is a stock M3 (aero kit optional).

Brindle

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 10:24:59 AM »

Things may have changed, but a while back when I tested with weather, I found resetting the track (I used tire wear) after the initial change upon entering a lounge, gave more consistent results for weather settings.  Something to look into to maybe?

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 11:55:20 AM »

Ok I got most of it sorted out... I think...  I'll do a proper event post soon.  I want to make one last attempt and setting the weather change.  :(  I decided to go with Suzuka for two reasons.  1. The slower speeds help improve cockpit visibility due to reduced car spray. 2. Tire grip feels too artificial. I don't know if its the speeds or the banking but the cars seem have perfect grip for the first 8 laps and then some one switches the flip and there is no grip at all. At Suzuka the grip loss is far more gradual/natural feeling.

Track: Suzuka 56 laps
Weather: 100%
Track surface water thing: 100%
changeability: 0  :(  (I really wanted dynamic weather with some variability, but so far I cannot get it to work consistently)
all assists off except for TCS and ABS
weak draft
grip real
damage light
regular standing start
Fast tire wear

Car:
BMW M3 (premium)
1655 kg
432 hp
Tuning: None except parts listed below.  Rear downforce can be adjusted.

Recommended/Required parts:
Rear Wing B
Close ratio gearbox
sports suspension (the one that can't be adjusted)

Optional Parts:
Front aero upgrade
carbon hood (for looks only must add 5kg ballast in default position)
any fly wheel
any clutch plate
carbon drive shaft
standard gearbox and/or suspension (you can use it if you prefer it but its not recommended)

Cockpit view is recommended for the full rain experience but not required.

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 12:16:59 PM »

I like it, looks pretty slick.  If the date works I'm in.

PSN ID = dawson864
Pages: [1]   Go Up