SupaTunaGT

• April 24, 2024, 04:25:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Around here we're just FAST enough to have FUN.

Race FAST!  Race HARD!!  Race CLEAN!!!   Have FUN!!!!

Long line Tunas!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import GPS Data Into Track Maker via Mobile App  (Read 1106 times)

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
Import GPS Data Into Track Maker via Mobile App
« on: November 12, 2013, 09:41:35 AM »

http://www.gtplanet.net/gt6-course-maker-gps-data/

You guys probably already saw this and talked about it already. I've been away for a bit ... taking a much needed hiatus before the release of GT6. This has allowed me to get back into my music and start gigging again. But we're not so far away now. Looking forward to seeing you all again on the track. Keep the rubber side down.

Michael
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
Re: Import GPS Data Into Track Maker via Mobile App
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 10:01:24 AM »

yea, the fact that it is going to be done by a Mobile App is encouraging.  from what they talked about before I thought you'd have to have some tech installed in your car in order for it to work.

I still would be skeptical about how well this will recreate layouts of tracks and roads, because unless they let you take this "rough sketch" and refine it in the course creator (which hopefully if they are wise they'd do) we won't have track width data, and possibly no banking data.  though, banking data could theoretically be captured by the phone, not the GPS, but the phone's gyro's that tell it how it is oriented.  If the phone is placed flatly on the dash, it could potentially work.  However, it is not clear that is how it will function.

Only time will tell.

ALso, it's good to see you back.  I need to put this shit down for a while and play guitar again, so hearing your example is good inspiration   :-*

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 10:47:42 AM »

As I've always said regarding this ... if they can just do it ... I'll be very understanding of the technical challenges. I don't care if they can make it look realistic. What I care about is the creativity that this opens up to create new tracks. The possibilities are limitless. And it's rare in gaming or in anything else for that matter where that's the case.

Some examples:

1. Suppose it takes me 17 minutes to get from my house to the grocery store. How long would it take me if there were no stop lights and I was in an F40? Lets find out.

2. Suppose it takes me 2:14 to do a lap at Eagles Canyon Raceway in my Miata. How long would it take me in a Miata in GT6? Lets find out.

Etc.

Sure, after you've done this a few hundred times, it will be boring. But that gives them a few years to work on an editor that would allow you to take user generated tracks and fully customize them. Maybe in 2020? Here's hoping.

MX

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 11:10:04 AM »

I didn't think it could be done.

I'll happily eat some crow.  Should be a really cool feature!

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 01:17:35 PM »

As I've always said regarding this ... if they can just do it ... I'll be very understanding of the technical challenges. I don't care if they can make it look realistic. What I care about is the creativity that this opens up to create new tracks. The possibilities are limitless. And it's rare in gaming or in anything else for that matter where that's the case.

Some examples:

1. Suppose it takes me 17 minutes to get from my house to the grocery store. How long would it take me if there were no stop lights and I was in an F40? Lets find out.

2. Suppose it takes me 2:14 to do a lap at Eagles Canyon Raceway in my Miata. How long would it take me in a Miata in GT6? Lets find out.

Etc.

Sure, after you've done this a few hundred times, it will be boring. But that gives them a few years to work on an editor that would allow you to take user generated tracks and fully customize them. Maybe in 2020? Here's hoping.

MX

For sure, I've always been interested in this tech, but was mostly passively paying attention because I didn't think they'd go with a mobile app and it would just be available to a few people who both race and own toyotas, for instance.

However, this is sounding a LOT better.

I just caution people from reading this and getting their hopes up that they'll be able to recreate anything, because unless they have that ability to load up the track in the editor (which would make sense but PD doesn't always do what makes sense) then you won't be able to get that corner just as sharp as it should be, and as wide as it should be etc.  Because if you want to do your #2 above (no pun intended) then you need to have the corners correct.

In order to recreate a track accurately we may be able to do some things to mitigate any lack of fidelity that this feature may inevitably have.  I think we should drive on the perfect center at our track of choice so that the game at least doesn't get confused between the center line and the driving line, which we know are two VASTLY different lines.  Make sense?

Unless they have foreseen and provided a solution for all of the things I'm bringing up, I think the feature will indeed be really cool, but not quite what some of you are envisioning, which is why I offer some words of caution about hopes.  What we want is for your Miata lap to really be as close to possible to your real one so that you can make a verifiable comparison between the way the cars behave at that track, and how well GT recreates real world physics.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 09:36:13 PM »

Yeah, I think a lot of people expect things to be perfect the first time. I'm not one of those people.

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 11:28:13 AM »

Looks pretty sweet.  Basically I could have created a version of VIR Full Course with this feature.  And Grand Course (4.1 miles) if I hadn't crashed out :-X

PSN ID = dawson864

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 01:11:58 PM »

Looks pretty sweet.  Basically I could have created a version of VIR Full Course with this feature.  And Grand Course (4.1 miles) if I hadn't crashed out :-X

hope it's not to soon for a joke, but I would love to see how the game interpreted the data from that failed run :D :D

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 02:18:27 PM »

Exactly. Although, think how helpful it would have been to practice that corner with elevation change on comfort softs ... hopefully we can implement that as well someday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up