• May 01, 2024, 03:45:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our new HOME!!!

These ARE the TUNAs you seek...

CHECK OUT our site, BECOME a member, JOIN our "EVNETS", and RACE with us...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Much better, but still a bit off  (Read 6776 times)

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
Much better, but still a bit off
« on: December 06, 2013, 11:43:53 PM »

I'm going to go back to something Spec told me either late last night or early this morning...this isn't GT6 but GTWhatShouldHaveBeen5.  This is really what we should have had five years ago.

The graphics are cleaner, the interface is faster, the game is much more fun.  But they're still not quite there.

I've been playing on and off for the last 14 hours.  In the beginning, I hought they had the physics nailed.  The cars were looser, the steering was heavier and the cars showed an inclination to move under braking.  Then I drove one of the free cars from GameStop, the Viper.

That's when I realized the game still misses the mark.  For the first several hours, I drove shitty cars with high tendencies to understeer with a large push entering turns.  Then I broke out the Viper.  I don't have a Viper, but I've got a Corvette ZO6.  Both the Viper and the Corvette are very close in style.  The Viper is a bit less refined, but makes up for it with a monster under the hood.  The Corvette is a bit smoother, but lacks a V-10.  However, both cars handle quite similarly.  The front tires dig into the pavement, showing literally no understeer, and with even the slightest encouragement from the throttle, the back end is more than eager to chase the front end.

Not so much in this game.  In one of the National B races, I was finally able to break out a big-engined, rear wheel drive car.  Sadly, it handled just like the shitty cars I'd been driving all day.  It had a huge push into the corners and to get the car to spin, you really had to try.  In real life, that's just not how those cars work.  

I'm going to buy the 2000 Corvette Z06.  Not sure why since there wasn't a 2000 Z06 (it didn't come out until 2001), but I'm going to run the same races again in the morning and see if what I've been told is just not true (that the two cars are vitually identical in performance).  My car doesn't understeer, it just doesn't.  Not only that, the front tires don't even make much noise.  With even a slight bit of throttle, I can easily do a 180 degree spin on hot pavement and the car stops just as well as it goes.  The game doesn't show this.

Overall, what I've seen is a marked improvement.  But they still miss the mark.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 02:47:44 AM by RickS95 »

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: Much better, but still a bit off
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 01:40:38 AM »

Interesting, Rick.

Now that they raised the volume of tire squeal to "overwhelming", they make it sound as if there is some sort of tire chirping going on. At first I thought it was ABS, but it happens when going around curves, not when the brakes are being used. It makes me think that they are using some sort of auto-drivers' aid, but I turned that one off.

Anyone understand what they are doing?

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 07:06:54 AM »

Anyone understand what they are doing?

Making my ears bleed from the tire noise. Right now, that's my main complaint. It is just terrible.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 07:11:27 AM »

Now that they raised the volume of tire squeal to "overwhelming"

I'm so glad I'm not the only one to notice this.  Perhaps it's because I use headphones when I play (Turtle Beach PX21) but it completely drowns out all other sound.  I can barely hear my engine when my tires are squealing.

I don't like it and I hope they turn it down a bit.  Or at least give us the option to adjust the volume of it.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 08:34:10 AM »

I do agree also that the tire noise seems unnecessary / excessively loud right now (I've only been running on Comfort Softs so far, but I assume it's the same for all tire grades?) though I have noticed there seems to be some rather interesting sound effects, layering or something going on when you progressively apply more force to the tires.

They start off just sort of minor chirping and chittering if you go through corners at a sensibly slow speed but the more you turn the wheel or the more speed you try to carry through the corner the noise actually seems to change somewhat, not just the usual loud / louder / loudest kind of thing either.  I may be wrong but I swear I actually hear a few different types of tire chirp / squeal noise depending on how much you stress them.

Assuming it's not just my ears being broken and wrong, I actually kind of like what I can hear though obviously not counting excessive loundness lol.  And speaking of cool noises did anyone else notice the rocks hitting the floor pan noise when you run off track?  I only really noticed it in the Fit RS at Willow Spring when I took the last corner a bit wide but that was anothing cool little sound to hear.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

Tuna_Girls_n1cup

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 09:53:04 AM »

I've heard a lot of complaints about that 'tire noise' and I can tell you from driving many cars on many tracks, with various different compounds of tires, that, in fact that sound is accurate; unfortunately noise level of it is overdone a tad too much.

What you are hearing is the tire losing grip and actually skidding or bouncing very rapidly over the pavement. Notice when you hear that noise next time if you open the wheel up or breath off the throttle the noise will reduce because the tire is skipping along the pavement less.

It's funny because they finally nailed a sound, but they over did it. 

Rick, I also share your same feeling about the physics; i think they dialed in too much under-steer this round; but I've also noticed many times that I can't turn that darn skid force recovery off, and I haven't tried the online physics. I do hope that this time the physics engines are the same in offline and online.

Cheers!

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 11:01:12 AM »

I do agree also that the tire noise seems unnecessary / excessively loud right now (I've only been running on Comfort Softs so far, but I assume it's the same for all tire grades?) though I have noticed there seems to be some rather interesting sound effects, layering or something going on when you progressively apply more force to the tires.

They start off just sort of minor chirping and chittering if you go through corners at a sensibly slow speed but the more you turn the wheel or the more speed you try to carry through the corner the noise actually seems to change somewhat, not just the usual loud / louder / loudest kind of thing either.  I may be wrong but I swear I actually hear a few different types of tire chirp / squeal noise depending on how much you stress them.

Assuming it's not just my ears being broken and wrong, I actually kind of like what I can hear though obviously not counting excessive loundness lol.  And speaking of cool noises did anyone else notice the rocks hitting the floor pan noise when you run off track?  I only really noticed it in the Fit RS at Willow Spring when I took the last corner a bit wide but that was anothing cool little sound to hear.

Totally agree. I'm not using headphones right now. But I came to the same conclusion. They are trying to make up for the lack of seat of the pants feel of the car underneath you with some pretty nice variable tire squeal. It basically lets me know how close to the edge I'm pushing the tire. Very nice.
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 11:06:51 AM »

The Corvette is a bit smoother, but lacks a V-10.  However, both cars handle quite similarly.  The front tires dig into the pavement, showing literally no understeer, and with even the slightest encouragement from the throttle, the back end is more than eager to chase the front end.

Not so much in this game.  In one of the National B races, I was finally able to break out a big-engined, rear wheel drive car.  Sadly, it handled just like the shitty cars I'd been driving all day.  It had a huge push into the corners and to get the car to spin, you really had to try.  In real life, that's just not how those cars work.  

I found that the Miata drove fantastic, very similar to real life. I look forward to your comparison to the real Z06.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 11:30:16 AM by MX5#98 »

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 11:35:15 AM »

I've heard a lot of complaints about that 'tire noise' and I can tell you from driving many cars on many tracks, with various different compounds of tires, that, in fact that sound is accurate; unfortunately noise level of it is overdone a tad too much.

What you are hearing is the tire losing grip and actually skidding or bouncing very rapidly over the pavement. Notice when you hear that noise next time if you open the wheel up or breath off the throttle the noise will reduce because the tire is skipping along the pavement less.

It's funny because they finally nailed a sound, but they over did it. 

Rick, I also share your same feeling about the physics; i think they dialed in too much under-steer this round; but I've also noticed many times that I can't turn that darn skid force recovery off, and I haven't tried the online physics. I do hope that this time the physics engines are the same in offline and online.

Cheers!

Again, totally agree on the tire squeal. Regarding the understeer ... all cars come from the factory with some understeer. It's done that way for safety reasons. I don't own a Z06, so I can't comment on that. However, I am  finding the opposite problem in the game ... too much oversteer. I'm actually dialing more understeer into my cars to get around the track quickly. But that's for two reasons. First, I haven't plugged in my wheel yet. And on the controller, I tend to oversteer a bit. And second, I added the customizable suspension early on, lowered the cars and zeroed out the rear toe. This really helped the cars rotate a lot. As the hp in those cars climbed by adding parts, the backend got more and more loose. So I had to add an LSD and dial up some understeer. All of this is exactly as you would want it to behave, imho.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 11:58:01 AM »

To clarify my stance a little, I really like the new tire sounds.  Massive improvement compared to GT5.  Probably some of the best tire sounds I've heard and I too like that the sound changes the harder you drive them.

My complaint is the volume of them.  They're just too damn loud in my opinion.  Knock the overall volume down by 20% or so and they'd be excellent.

RoninTuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »

To clarify my stance a little, I really like the new tire sounds.  Massive improvement compared to GT5.  Probably some of the best tire sounds I've heard and I too like that the sound changes the harder you drive them.

My complaint is the volume of them.  They're just too damn loud in my opinion.  Knock the overall volume down by 20% or so and they'd be excellent.

I agree with this in full, it's like running hard with the windows down. This level would work on open top cars but closed cockpit it needs to come down some.

I survived the Great PSN outage of 2011

Tuna_Girls_n1cup

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 12:49:02 PM »

I agree 100%, and that brings up one of the features I love about iRacing which is being able to adjust the different areas of sound. You can turn up and down the tires, wind, crash, and engine noise. Using iRacing for the past few years and hopping back into a console game reminds me about how customizable a pc sim is vs. a console sim. I don't have a lot of time to learn about some of the bigger items to customize in iRacing, but I've done enough that GT now feels a bit restrictive.

Still, I'm very impressed so far. My only complaint is some of the shadowing in replays, it looks so bad and sometimes even skips around. With the limitations of the PS3 hardware why not  just leave the shadows out to gain a better frame rate then plug them in look so bad? I could take them or leave them, but with how bad they look this round, I'd leave them.

Yes, I'm a fanboy and yes I'm looking forward to 7:00 - 7:30 tonight when my son goes to bed to hop on the rig again.  ^-^

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 01:28:30 PM »

I like the sound it makes when you drop a wheel into the dirt/grass. I've been purposely running with wheels off the racing surface because I like the noise it makes 

Boston77Bruins

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »

I like the sound it makes when you drop a wheel into the dirt/grass. I've been purposely running with wheels off the racing surface because I like the noise it makes 

:stoopid:

The gravel rumbling around in the wheel wells is a nice touch.

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 03:30:25 PM »

After driving the Aston Martin One-77 in the Morning Wood speed challenge, I'm growing to dislike the physics as they apply to anything but front-wheel drive cars.  This car simply refuses to turn or slow.  That said, I'm finally finding a car with a nice dose of snap oversteer.

I've yet to race online so maybe the offline physics are different than online.  And, the tire noise is starting to annoy me.  

Still the interface seems a bit quicker across the board (except for loading tracks where sometimes I have to look at the console to see if it's locked up) and the tracks are much improved (except that damned Cape Ring layout is still present).  I do miss the Top Gear track and the speed test and my son is pissed that the oil change guy has been fired.  

Also, what happened to Bob? Are all the Bobs unemployed now?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:33:10 PM by RickS95 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up