SupaTunaGT

• March 28, 2024, 03:40:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Much better, but still a bit off  (Read 6741 times)

SlyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • Raccoons are cool.
Re: Much better, but still a bit off
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 03:33:05 PM »

If i recall correctly... B Spec was to return in a later update.

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 11:54:26 AM »

I haven't played GT6 yet, but this issue with tire squeal already sounds like it could be annoying.

FYI for some guys that haven't (IRL) been able to experience sliding a car around on high performance tires:  high performance tires don't squeal until you've really, REALLY made a mistake.  So if in the game Sport or Race tires are squealing at the slightest bit of under or over steer that's disappointing, because that's not realistic at all.

(before someone comments on my BRZ's tires squealing in the Youtube video I posted - those tires aren't high performance  ;D )

PSN ID = dawson864

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 12:35:05 PM »

That's interesting you mention that Dawson, I've noticed that in GT6 the Comfort tires definitely have the most pronounced (read obnoxiously loud) squealing but Sports and Racing are both less voluminous and my more bearable, at least to me.  I generally like how much the Comfort tires do squeal it's just too loud compared to other sound effects, most interestingly though the actual sound between the 3 basic grades has a different "texture" to it too so burning rubber from a standing start sounds different if you're using Comfort, Sports of Racing tyres which I do think is really cool.

Rick I sort of agree in part particularly about the Aston Martin One-77 at Morning Wood, the damn car is like driving a greased pig and was an absolute nightmare to get around the track.  Ironically for me I really enjoyed driving all the older cars at Goodwood, it didn't help that Skid Recovery Farce is stuck ON so gave a false impression generally, but I had a lot of fun driving everything except the few modern ones they threw in.

I finally got around to picking up my C4 ZR1 last night too, compared to GT5 I think it actually handled / performed (and even sounded!) quite a bit better though it did have a fair amount of understeer and was quite the elephant under braking, though it did at least kick the back end out if pushed (stock).  I did a stage 1 weight reduction, windows and carbon hood that took it from 1600kg stock down to about 1420kg or so and that helped immensely with understeer / braking.

I have also decided that I still hate the many MR cars in their stock form too, even with the new physics.  Mostly I think because they don't fit my driving style so I end up with constant snap oversteer particularly under braking, fortunately it can be tuned out for the most part and there are still some that run just fine stock for me.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 01:16:16 PM »

The Alfa Romeo TZ3 Stradale '11 at the Morning Wood event was a beast, but I was really liking that car. The tire blazing, yet getting up outa here launch was pretty impressive as well.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 01:23:09 PM »

I haven't played GT6 yet, but this issue with tire squeal already sounds like it could be annoying.

FYI for some guys that haven't (IRL) been able to experience sliding a car around on high performance tires:  high performance tires don't squeal until you've really, REALLY made a mistake.  So if in the game Sport or Race tires are squealing at the slightest bit of under or over steer that's disappointing, because that's not realistic at all.

(before someone comments on my BRZ's tires squealing in the Youtube video I posted - those tires aren't high performance  ;D )

The RS3's on my Miata squeal like the dickens but that's because I'm usually pushing the car to the limit and it's sliding on all four wheels. Sounds a lot like you hear in GT6. I realize as you get to softer compounds, this happens less. But the RS3 is a pretty dang soft tire.
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

RoninTuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 03:16:47 PM »

There is also an element of track surface that plays into the sound heard too, I've been on a surface where tire squeal was nearly that loud RL, the math I had not done when I last posted was in that granted yes, we had the windows down but we were only rolling at 5 mph when not one but both trucks in our work crew cut loose ample squealage comparable to what we hear in GT6. That parking lot is paved with a different compound than any other parking lot or road I've been on not sure if it's true tarmac or mcadem but it's not the asphalt we are accustomed to. When the foreman started out of the parking lot and squealed I was all "Damn Leon, in a hurry to get to work are we?" at that time the person I was carpooling with says "it's not Leon, it's the parking lot, watch" he lets the truck idle out of the spot and sure enough chirp, chirp, chirp and it was at this point I noticed it was coming from the front and not the back. I hadn't really stopped to think about it until last night. Noise is generated through the conversion of kinetic energy to sound waves, Tire noise effects are amplified at higher operating speeds...It's elementary school physics really and I had forgotten about that day in the parking lot until last night. Stopping to think about those two things in the same thought, the tire noise actually makes sense to me now and seems appropriate.

I survived the Great PSN outage of 2011

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 03:28:48 PM »

Or put another way ... pull up a video of local autocross action. You'll hear a LOT of tire squeal.

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 04:36:37 PM »

Feldynn, I can't drive the MR cars to save my life.  I've modified a couple of them and the adjustable suspension has sometimes helped and sometimes not.  Not really sure what I'm going to do in the future, because I constantly spin out.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 04:59:51 PM »

Feldynn, I can't drive the MR cars to save my life.  I've modified a couple of them and the adjustable suspension has sometimes helped and sometimes not.  Not really sure what I'm going to do in the future, because I constantly spin out.

With the MR cars, I've found that modifying the brake bias and adding downforce via a wing and the flat bottom that I can fix some of the tail happy nature of the beast. I have an Acura NSX that drives really nice now. Also, when driving the MR cars, I change the way I'm driving a bit. I get the braking done earlier. That might help.

After you complete the International A Mission Races, the game will give you the RM Elise. And it is super fast and corners like crazy without all the tail spin. So if you need an MR car after that, well that's a good choice. Also works as a good car for the Euro series.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 05:15:18 PM »

Brake bias definitely helps some, usually I'll adjust it so it's heavy on the front and light on the back (maybe a 5 / 2 split or so).  That and also the LSD tend to be my goto adjustments, increasing the Braking number seems to really help with the lift off oversteer problems I have too (as can some suspension tuning).  Funny thing is some cars like the Countach and Esprit I have no problems with at all and can drive reasonably well without any adjustment heh.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 05:21:52 PM »

I'm learning I also suck with carts. 

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 05:25:05 PM »

Also, the reverse thing is killing me.  In the past, I'd throw the car into the reverse and it would shift back to 1rd automatically...now it just stays in reverse.  I'm constantly putting myself even farther behind after a spin.

BadBoots

• Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 05:59:05 PM »

Also, the reverse thing is killing me.  In the past, I'd throw the car into the reverse and it would shift back to 1rd automatically...now it just stays in reverse.  I'm constantly putting myself even farther behind after a spin.
I hear you Rick,  >:(  that's my biggest concern. Yes the tire noise is to loud but more realistic. As for MR cars I strip them then add weight, move the weight forward 50/50 then balance the suspension and set the brakes even. Custom suspension NO Rear toe ( where did they come up with +20 rear toe, not in the real world) more camber in the rear than the front. Works for me.  ;)
:dj :bass :guitar :jams :rocks :iwtband :fiesta

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 06:07:23 PM »

:stoopid: :stoopid:

Boston77Bruins

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 09:40:14 PM »

:stoopid: :stoopid:

:stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid:

The first time it happened I thought my wheel had broke.  That is VERY annoying.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up