SupaTunaGT

• April 28, 2024, 07:41:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Much better, but still a bit off  (Read 6770 times)

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Much better, but still a bit off
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2013, 03:25:23 PM »

Drove a stock 2006 S2000 last night (in GT), and I must say the handling of it in GT6 is way WAY better than how it was portrayed in GT5.  Much less tail happy and driveable (though not to say it wouldn't bite you in the ass if you did something stupid).  In my opinion the handling is considerably closer to real life.  However, I'm puzzled by their inaccuracies in other areas.  1) the redline is 500rpm too high (FC22 has a hard fuel cut at 8100rpm in real life).  2) the gear ratios are also way off (and would be even if the redline wasn't overly high); they are too short. 

Furthermore, why can't Gran Turismo properly (and by properly I mean...at all) model the sound of VTEC engagement!??!?!?   >:(  It's an easy thing to do, and would be applicable for over 25 Honda/Acura models.  WTF Kaz.

a thought... is the one in GT a JDM model that might have some small differences like the ones you've noted?  The gear ratios are something that are never right on my Evo comparisons, because all of them in-game are 6speeds where the US market had mostly 5speeds... (which yes it does suck on the highway for that reason, unless you like a lot of noise and wasting gas)

The gear ratios for the S2000 are the same, regardless of country.  They are different for the AP1 and AP2, but the 2006 in the game is identical to the 2007 S2000 I owned previously.  Not a bad suggestion though!

PSN ID = dawson864

Lonestar

• Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2013, 11:26:18 PM »

The GT coding team has finally made me enjoy it again

RoninTuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2013, 12:42:22 AM »

I finally got around to buying the same car in the game that I've got in the garage.  After changing the oil, the horsepower and torque figures were a bit lower than my car, but negligible.  I took it out for one of the International B series events.  

I can't remember if the car came with sports hard or sports soft tires, but I believe it was sports soft.  In driving a thousand miles over the past few days it seems the comfort tires are simply shit and the sports tires are more realistic.  

The car in the game handled well-ish, but still not quite as good as the car in real life.  That said, it was still fairly close.  In real life I can typically take an on ramp at about 50-100% more than the posted speed limit, at which point I run out of balls because wrecking my car isn't something I'm interested in doing.  In the game, the car still has a slight push at speeds that were surprisingly low for the particularly turns I was taking.  However, given that they have 1200 cars and 70 track layouts to match together, on top of 9 or whatever different tire compounds, perfection is really asking too much.

Where they missed the mark the most is with the power oversteer, it's non-existent even in the 2000 Z06.  I was racing the long course at Brands Hatch and not once can I remember burying the throttle too much.  That's not realistic.  On the real car, with all aids turned off, it's very tail happy.  Turning at a normal intersection in third gear and applying anything approaching half throttle brings the rear end out.  In the game, coming out of a tight turn close to a hairpin and dropping the hammer resulted in nothing embarrassing.

Again, I think asking a company to be able to match closely the results of 1200 cars on 70 tracks on 9 different tire compounds is setting them up for failure.  So, I'm going to try to stop complaining about the physics of the game as I feel it's impossible to get every car right for every situation.

Somehow I am under the impression you did not put mid to low shelf tires from wall mart on the car IRL......That said I'm under the impression this was one of those goes without saying things

Did you remove the rear toe that PD cramms into everything specifically to reduce that effect for "playability"?

I did with the 78 TA, With the rest of the settings matched up to what PD says are factory and the rear toe reduced the car behaves verymuch like my friends 81 TA did, including but nit limited to stomping embarrassment...or what we called fun back then

That's another good point Ronin.  I've only modded one car with suspension so far.  The game doesn't pay too well so far so I'm saving my dollars.  But that might be an issue I need to address.

Ok, I just bought an 04 Z06 and it was behaving amazingly stupid for me when ever I would hammer down on it in a corner on Sport Soft tires....got me thinking about something. Something we all do instinctively on GT is get rid of that damn traction control, suffice it to say...I forgot to turn off my TC after buying the car and taking it out for a bone stock grinding session at Laguna Seca. Now I'm suddenly reminded of something my little brother was telling me. He was bitching about how he could not turn off the TC on his police cruiser, he could turn it down but not off completely. With a car like a Corvette it would make sense if Chevrolet did not allow general consumers to completely disable the traction control system. Perhaps trying the car again with TCS on might bring out that feel you know?

I survived the Great PSN outage of 2011

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2013, 01:08:57 AM »

The C5 Z06 has a variety of settings involving traction control and what they call active handling.  Traction control prevents the rear tires from turning into smoke and active handling helps keep the butt in the back.  If I remember right, you can have both turned on, both turned off, or TC off and active handling on.  I typically drive with traction control turned off and active handling turned on. 

Even in that mode, you can get the back end to slide around a bit, but not so much that you eat some tree or guard rail.  More or less it gives you the ability to play, but not have to worry about wasting $50K. 

The active handling has little effect on the front end grip, primarily controlling the rear end from around on you, similar to what we see in the game. 

Overall, I remain confused a bit by the physics of the game.  I took out the Huayra for some challenge at DRC on racing hands.  The previous time I drove the car, it was with sports sorts.  Being at my favorite track on racing hoards, I expected a cake walk.  I couldn't have been more wrong.

The tire noise was the worst I've encountered in the game and the grip seemed worse than on sports softs.  In addition, I drove a couple Lotus cars in the international B races and I can't imagine those cars were anything close to reality as I could barely complete a lap without spinning and sliding all over the track.

I decided tonight that once the I finish all the offline stuff, I'll never race most of the remaining MR car.  I can control the Ford GT and I think Ferarri has some I can handle, but I'm not going to change the way I drive to suit the car.  If the car doesn't work for my style, then fuck it. 

Same goes for certain tracks.  If I don't like them I won't visit them anymore.  I enjoy racing with you guys (even though I have been around much) but game is supposed to be fun and for me tnat eliminates a lot of cars and several tracks.  It's not a complaint, just no reason to race if the combo doesn't work with my style.

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2013, 06:05:06 AM »

So as some recall, I have great appreciation for the MR cars. The Elise, NSX, MR2, 430...some of my favorite cars to drive in "5". I don't have much seat time in MR in "6", but here's some of them.

NSX '91. I put all the body work on it - floor, wing, etc. I found it quite good.
Dino. Stock/few bolt on power mods. Another great MR. Well behaved.
MR-2 GT-S - uncontrollable animal. I don't know how to deal with it yet. May need suspension adjustment.
NSX '01. Perfect car - bone stock.

I drove the last 2 one after the other, and found them very different. I couldn't keep the MR-2 pointed in the right direction two corners in a row. In over 20 minutes at Laguna Sec a, I spun the NSX once.

I haven't tried adjustable suspension yet. This is all stock suspension.

Not all MR are created equally. Food for thought.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2013, 08:59:30 AM »

I had the entire weekend to myself ... thought I would get some racing in. But for some reason, I never fired up GT6. Not sure what that means.
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2013, 09:09:29 AM »

One MR car that is really nice is the F430..  I recommend trying that.

But as I play this game more I think there is a problem with the handling model.

Someone else I know mentioned that the game feels "like everything is happening in slow motion".  He's not talking about sense of speed, but the speed with which the car exhibits its behavior.

Cars that should feel like sleds on wheels, feel like sponges.

Overall, I like the physics but I usually have to tighten up the suspension on every car to make it feel like a car.  I'm not explaining very well, but that's my best take on it so far.

I wouldn't be surprised if PD releases an update with some physics tweaks.

yvesf

• Blackfin Tuna
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2013, 12:31:22 PM »

They start off just sort of minor chirping and chittering if you go through corners at a sensibly slow speed but the more you turn the wheel or the more speed you try to carry through the corner the noise actually seems to change somewhat, not just the usual loud / louder / loudest kind of thing either.  I may be wrong but I swear I actually hear a few different types of tire chirp / squeal noise depending on how much you stress them.

Assuming it's not just my ears being broken and wrong, I actually kind of like what I can hear though obviously not counting excessive loundness lol.  And speaking of cool noises did anyone else notice the rocks hitting the floor pan noise when you run off track?  I only really noticed it in the Fit RS at Willow Spring when I took the last corner a bit wide but that was anothing cool little sound to hear.

My wife asked me to race on snow, and the noise or snow hitting the floor is like water dropping.  They missed it completely.

Yves

yvesf

• Blackfin Tuna
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2013, 12:36:41 PM »

Anyone felt the need to buy credits with real money ?

For now I feel money comes fast enough that I would not need to buy credits.

Yves

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2013, 12:44:01 PM »

Yves

Not me.  With 40 cars and 1 million credits currently in the bank, I see no need to buy credits or exploit glitches.

I had not tried the snow yet but I felt they did a pretty good job with the dirt sounds. Its very much like taking my Trans Am on a dirt road... except without all the vibrating... I did it once with my Trans Am and I'll never do it again. I'll walk first.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2013, 12:51:28 PM »

I would strongly suggest boycotting the purchase of the credit packs, because that really encourages this sort of thing to become the norm.  As the guy in that one video that someone posted on one of these days said, "I can't trust you (game devs) to give the game good progression AND charge for credits."

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2013, 01:25:04 PM »

So far I think I've brought somewhere around 64, most under 100k production cars with a handful of 100k-300k race cars, as well as doing a number of upgrades to different ones too.  Between those and the prize cars (I've been trying to gold as much as possible) I've only found 3 events that will require the purchase of properly expensive cars, firstly the Historic Car race can be done with cheaper cars like the Camaro / Dodge race mod ones if you're lucky enough to not be put up against the Chap 2J or Toyota 7, then there's the Dream Car and the final event for I-A that pretty much require an LMP car to win. 

At the point I'm up to now I've been using only purchased cars or won cars but not any of the anniversary cars (because I wanted to see how the game played through without them), with the exception of the Historic Car event where I got sick of the stupid 2J / Toyo 7 and used SRF with an upgraded Daytona Coupe lol.  Though if I could be bothered I could have entered / exited until I got a field without those 2 cars and won with something cheap.  Right now I've got the I-A set almost complete and have around 2mil credits which would be enough to buy an LMP car for the 2 events that will need it, should leave me enough to upgrade something for Like The Wind and I just won a Nascar for something.

So far I've not seen any actually need to buy any credits with realy money, even with a number of unnecessary car purchases I've had more than enough money / prize cars to complete the content.  The only thing is a good number of the cars I really want to buy because I think they're cool are bordering on "prohibitively expensive" because I'm saving money for "required cars", some of the older ones are over 1mil. creds too so they'll get put onto the back burner.  I'm hoping that PD will introduce some better paying Seasonals soon, maybe for Christmas or something.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

Boston77Bruins

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2013, 01:32:26 PM »

Yves

Nope, nope and nope.  They will never see a dime of my real money. 

I've got almost 3 million credits and around 70 cars.  I'm just chipping away at the events with what I have in my garage.  I don't see the need of virtual money from real money.

GrumpyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2013, 01:58:51 PM »

:stoopid:  But new real world tracks, yes i would!

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2013, 08:53:12 AM »

I would strongly suggest boycotting the purchase of the credit packs, because that really encourages this sort of thing to become the norm.  As the guy in that one video that someone posted on one of these days said, "I can't trust you (game devs) to give the game good progression AND charge for credits."

Yeah, no way in hell am I going to buy credits with real money.  Not a chance.

PSN ID = dawson864
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up