SupaTunaGT

• March 28, 2024, 02:42:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Much better, but still a bit off  (Read 6740 times)

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
Re: Much better, but still a bit off
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2014, 06:26:43 AM »

I never did try that tune Dude. I decided to try it on my own. I really only messed with three settings: Ride Height, Spring Rate, Stabilizer

(MR-2 GT-S '97, Stock power/weight, sports hard tires)

Ride height stock was 130 f/r, default adjustable was 115 f/r. It handled slightly better with adjustable. Lowering the car to 90 f/r helped a lot, but it still had nasty lift off behaviour. I tried staggering ride height, but anything I tried made it worse.
I think I stuck with 90 f/r.

Spring rate stock was around 2.4/3.6 f/r. This was also default for adjustable suspension. Following what I 'knew' from GT5, I stiffened the rear springs, which made it worse. I tried multiple settings for springs with somewhat consistent results. It all led to stiffer front springs reducing lift off oversteer.
Eventually I stuck with 3.75 f/r.

I made no progress whatsoever with the stabilizer. Maybe I was too impatient because of my good results with the other two settings, but I didn't feel like fussing with it too long.

I haven't applied my new theory on other cars, but I hope what I learned here has consistent application. I have no idea how it compared to suspension tuning IRL.

It does seem rather different from GT5. Opposite results from spring rate, no good results from staggered ride height.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:31:28 AM by Turbo-Tuna »

Neptune

• Longtail Tuna
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2014, 02:03:03 AM »

I'm getting the same sort of response from GT6 as you guys.

I remember in the first tutorial event in that FWD car (forget which), I started giggling at after I went around the first corner. You could see and feel the body roll, and most of the weight go on the outside tires. You get a sensation of inside-rear wheel lift, and the car rotates, then you power out of the corner, trying to line it up so that the understeer puts you on the rumble strip. I thought they nailed it.

Then I got to driving other cars, and it seems like hit and miss. I found the S2000 handled beautifully, as with most FR cars. I ended up buying and fully-modding what was my favourite car in GT5, the NSX-R. The thing was absolutely uncontrollable. You have to be very delicate with the steering in order to keep your ass where it should be. But after a while, you start to learn the quirks of each car, and can use them fully. This gives you a sense of reward that I think is new to GT (aside from the *ahem* Yellowbird).

As far as realism, I can't really say, since I've only driven my DD Ford Focus on a track. The low horsepower/chuckable FWD cars seem to handle pretty close to what my car feels like on the track. Some of the effectiveness of the brakes on certain cars seem pretty outrageous. I know my early model Elise race car stops on what seems like a couple metres from 200 km/h.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 02:11:28 AM by Neptune »

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2014, 12:19:09 PM »

Neptune! Where have you been?  :o

As for stabilizers, I have yet to see a tutorial about them that a layman can understand thoroughly enough to put into practice in GT. Aside from the in-game tutorial (make the top number smaller than the lower number), I have no idea how they work at controlling handling issues.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up