SupaTunaGT

• April 19, 2024, 06:42:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Test handicapped event?  (Read 1840 times)

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Test handicapped event?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 12:33:09 PM »

:stoopid:  I can make a Wednesday work.  I'm Central time zone so I can be on any time after 5:30pm central.

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 05:28:24 PM »

OK, after the Wednesday event is over at 9 PM, I will open a private lobby at La Sarthe, with chicanes. You will have time to do about 5 laps of practice and the race will be 6 laps (± half an hour for each part).

You can pick any car you wish, up to 450 PP, Sport Soft tires, no NOS.

The car is not important as long as you can handle it, your driving is. You will get somewhere around ±5 minute laps, but you want to try to be consistent. When the lobby opens, you will get some time to do laps and get consistent within, say, half an hour or less, so the sooner you get on the track the better.

The next part will try your patience a bit, especially the faster drivers. The slowest driver will take the lead, then the second slowest, etc., will be spaced out by a calculated amount based on your most consistent lap times. so you should pay attention to them when you cross the line. You want to estimate your most consistent lap time (to within half a second or so). I will then calculate your hold times for after the first driver leaves. Whoever the fastest driver is goes last, so he has to act as the starter telling the next driver when to leave, until it is his time to leave.

The idea that is being tested here is to see if we can all cross the finish line at the same time, or as close as we can to the same time. (It's like a reversed race.) Therefore, do not draft other cars, unless you have no choice. If at all possible, take a different line. You shouldn't see too many cars until the end of the race on the long track anyway. The goal here is to see if we can all finish at the same time, so drafting won't help achieve that. If you stay consistent and you start at the proper time, it should work, right? Let's see.

If everything goes well, we should all be done in about an hour, maybe a bit more.

Please record comments here after this test.

Note: GT6's qualifying system won't work with this.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 05:40:52 PM »

This will be tonight?   9pm EST or ....?

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 05:52:03 PM »

Yes, tonight at 9 EST.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 05:52:49 PM »

Yes, tonight at 9 EST.

Okay, see you there.

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 11:33:56 PM »

Thanks everyone who helped out tonight. I now have a better sense of how to organise this type of event, and I learned a few things from you all, too. Thanks for your suggestions, and thank you for staying for the second test.

I have to use the stats chart and qualifying to learn more about them, but they should make things easier as a host, and it should facilitate running an event. Qualifying would help control late-comers, for example.

The proof of concept worked, as far as I was concerned. Having an accurate lap time for everyone is critical to getting the handicaps calculated right. More time for everyone to prepare and practice ahead of time would also help, but this was just a test.

Boston77Bruins

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 11:53:14 PM »

Sorry to have missed this.  I was very interested to see how the results would turn out.

Wednesday is my beer drinking day.  I experiment with new brews to me that day.  Tonight was great.  Crystal weizens direct from the homeland.  And a few winter ale seasonals from a local brewery. 

It's late, are my grammar correct.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 07:43:03 AM »

Sorry to have missed this.  I was very interested to see how the results would turn out.

:stoopid:

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 10:19:06 AM »

Results:

- I was wrong about qualifying, the max limit is 30 minutes, it could have helped
- qualifying could be used to eliminate / control latecomers
- drivers must be early, not late
- accuracy is everything
- this handicapping can work on shorter tracks with a bit of cooperation from drivers
- more practice time, to get more consistent, would be necessary
- using a controllable car that you know well is advisable
- down time to do calculations is necessary, so patience from everyone is necessary
- a private room is necessary
- the driver with the fastest car has to be the start controller (X-car vs Corvette vs old FIAT 500 anyone?)  :D
- having bigger separations between drivers is advisable, so that drafting / overtaking mistakes doesn't affect things

We ran two tests, but only one was planned. At La Sarthe, maybe because of inaccurate lap time estimates or possibly a miscalculation on my part, we were not clumped together at the finish, but considering it took half an hour of racing, it wasn't too far off, either. To me, that is a success. The second one at Autumn Ring Full had less practice time and had a tighter finish.

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2014, 10:39:28 AM »

Oh, calculating the handicap...

Take the slowest car's lap time and multiply it by the number of laps, to get its race time total.
Convert to seconds (I didn't do this and may have made errors because of that).
Convert all other race times into seconds and subtract each one from the slowest race time.

The start controller uses the differences to separate each car, in their proper order.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:53:30 AM by MasterGT »

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up