SupaTunaGT

• April 28, 2024, 03:01:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: GT6 pit stop tire wear thing  (Read 8788 times)

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
Re: GT6 pit stop tire wear thing
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2014, 10:10:23 AM »

If time's the factor, it would not achieve the same RPM.  Same RPM with less speed = change in driveline/tire outer diameter.  Less RPM with less speed = less acceleration.  If the problem is slippage, there should be some acceleration still happening as the wheel speed equals the engine's speed, if it's lack of acceleration the RPMs should be lower.  There's no physics-based reason for it to be otherwise. 

possibly.  I was reading the suggestion as meaning that they were not reaching the top speed or top RPM they were in teh same race, same straights.  If that's the case, though, it could merely be that there wasn't enough time to get enough speed or top gear into max RPM by the time they had to begin braking.

Again, just a misunderstanding of what the other was trying to type.  I wish it wasn't so easy for this to happen ???

The RPM/speed numbers in MGR's post are a little misleading. Those aren't top speed numbers, he just chose those RPM's, and noted the speed at that RPM.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2014, 10:20:30 AM »

If time's the factor, it would not achieve the same RPM.  Same RPM with less speed = change in driveline/tire outer diameter.  Less RPM with less speed = less acceleration.  If the problem is slippage, there should be some acceleration still happening as the wheel speed equals the engine's speed, if it's lack of acceleration the RPMs should be lower.  There's no physics-based reason for it to be otherwise. 

possibly.  I was reading the suggestion as meaning that they were not reaching the top speed or top RPM they were in teh same race, same straights.  If that's the case, though, it could merely be that there wasn't enough time to get enough speed or top gear into max RPM by the time they had to begin braking.

Again, just a misunderstanding of what the other was trying to type.  I wish it wasn't so easy for this to happen ???

The RPM/speed numbers in MGR's post are a little misleading. Those aren't top speed numbers, he just chose those RPM's, and noted the speed at that RPM.

Okay thanks for that.  then, that lends more credence to wht I was saying -- that if you have slippage at ANY point in that straight, that you'll see lower speed than you would if you didn't.  In fact that sounds silly to say because it's so obvious.  We specifically avoid slippage in our racing because we know it makes us slower.

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2014, 11:47:06 AM »

Not to throw a new wrinkle at this problem, but do we know for sure that the original tires are doing what they should be doing and not the other way around?

OTOH, I hope all of this experimentation is not for naught and PD comes out with a fix "soon".

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2014, 12:00:58 PM »

Not to throw a new wrinkle at this problem, but do we know for sure that the original tires are doing what they should be doing and not the other way around?

OTOH, I hope all of this experimentation is not for naught and PD comes out with a fix "soon".

No idea, the only indication that the post pit set are the wrong ones is the constant tire squeal under acceleration, that does not occur with the first set.

Either would be fine with me.  I also wondered about but have not tested the comfort tires which also squeal under acceleration.

no_affiliations

• Longtail Tuna
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2014, 12:48:10 PM »

Ah, I thought he included the RPM because the speed at that RPM changed.  If the speed and RPM where both lower, less grip is probable.  A change in the relationship between RPM and speed would be an interesting indicator if it were happening.  I guess he just added in a random number to the chart for some reason.

Yeah, sorry for any misunderstanding.  I wasn't upset, I sound like an asshole when I type.  When I try to edit it out, I just sound like an asshole in a hurry.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2014, 01:17:10 PM »

No idea, the only indication that the post pit set are the wrong ones is the constant tire squeal under acceleration, that does not occur with the first set.

Either would be fine with me.  I also wondered about but have not tested the comfort tires which also squeal under acceleration.

I agree that it seems more probably that the first set of tires is what we would call "correct" because at one point PD did try to alleviate some of the "exessive tire squeal" that people complained about, and so it stands to reason that the quieter of the two is the one they "fixed".  Those tires probably also exhibit the type of wear life that we would find a bit more desirable.

And "no".  No worries...  I'll try to keep that in mind for the future.  :D

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2014, 01:24:16 PM »

RoninTuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2014, 04:30:36 PM »

I posed this same question a couple pages ago

I survived the Great PSN outage of 2011

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2014, 04:38:07 PM »

I posed this same question a couple pages ago

And I posted this, a couple pages ago...

From what I've tested, every set of tires from the first pit stop on, are the same. I've done runs, and pitted 5 times, with no other set of tires acting like the first. It is possible the first set is "wrong", but it doesn't really matter which set is wrong. None of them should be.

This is a question we can't answer. Only PD knows.

no_affiliations

• Longtail Tuna
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2014, 07:09:16 PM »

MGR has done some additional testing...
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt6%E2%80%99s-game-breaking-pit-stop-flaw.307007/

Heh, looks like some from column A and some from column B.  If it was that simple, they'd have found it by now, it'll be interesting to see how it's all related.  (I doubt it's a series of coincidental issues)

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2014, 07:46:27 AM »

Seems like the game is referencing one set of default values when you enter the track (values for tyre compound, diameter etc) and another (screwed up set of erroneous data) when performing a pit stop. Whenever you go to track the tyre values seem correct lobby (but leave your car entered or 'on track'), when you go back to the car the tyre values are correct again and the bug is gone.

That sounds like the idea I had, that the wrong tire variant is being placed on the cars after a pit.

The reason is that there's no reason why, if you have the "correct" tires upon race start, that it couldn't simply copy what it did at race start, for the pit-stop tire-exchange.  Because it isnt' happening, it must be placing something different on the cars.  The "physics" don't change when the pit stop occurs.  T here's no reason why they would code it that way.  But perhaps the wrong reference is hidden in there somewhere, referencing the wrong tire.

The fact that the Comfort Soft tires did not seem to cause additional wear when swapped at a pit, makes me wonder if there is only ONE type of Comfort Soft tire in the game's code, and many types of Sports and Racing tires.  We know from the GT5 cracking jobs people did, that there are different variants of tires.  So, maybe someone could figure out if there's only one type of CS?

Maybe we should post our tests over there in the GTP thread?  I finally signed up there to post some pics recently...

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2014, 11:26:53 AM »

Seems like the game is referencing one set of default values when you enter the track (values for tyre compound, diameter etc) and another (screwed up set of erroneous data) when performing a pit stop. Whenever you go to track the tyre values seem correct lobby (but leave your car entered or 'on track'), when you go back to the car the tyre values are correct again and the bug is gone.

That sounds like the idea I had, that the wrong tire variant is being placed on the cars after a pit.

The reason is that there's no reason why, if you have the "correct" tires upon race start, that it couldn't simply copy what it did at race start, for the pit-stop tire-exchange.  Because it isnt' happening, it must be placing something different on the cars.  The "physics" don't change when the pit stop occurs.  T here's no reason why they would code it that way.  But perhaps the wrong reference is hidden in there somewhere, referencing the wrong tire.

The fact that the Comfort Soft tires did not seem to cause additional wear when swapped at a pit, makes me wonder if there is only ONE type of Comfort Soft tire in the game's code, and many types of Sports and Racing tires.  We know from the GT5 cracking jobs people did, that there are different variants of tires.  So, maybe someone could figure out if there's only one type of CS?

Maybe we should post our tests over there in the GTP thread?  I finally signed up there to post some pics recently...

So what your saying is I need to test comfort tires... Ok I should have some free time tonight.

I'll go ahead and say it, if any one wants to post my data over there feel free to, just give credit where credit is due, not that it is worth anything.

I'm still trying to figure out my account password over there or I'd do it myself.  I guess if it comes to it I could create a new id over there, afterall I am considering retiring the dlrws6 id/persona.

Edit: FGT is not glitched.  :P
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:47:52 AM by dlrws6 »

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2014, 01:28:26 AM »

Follow-up:

As you know, I made SCEA aware of this tire / pit stop problem, a while ago. Someone is going over to Japan in a few weeks and has submitted a number of problems beyond this one to them before he goes. He will be following up on those when he visits them. I hope to have some answers after he returns.

In the meantime, let's hope the Academy update also filters a few fixes into what we now have.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2014, 05:34:21 AM »

Your efforts are much appreciated, MasterGT. Let's hope they do some good.  :)

nosoks

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2014, 06:05:37 AM »

:stoopid:

thanks for you efforts MGT
If everyone follows rule #1 we'd need no other rules
Rule #1 = Pay attention
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up