SupaTunaGT

• March 28, 2024, 12:33:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Online racing issues: GT6  (Read 2811 times)

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
Online racing issues: GT6
« on: February 25, 2014, 12:34:17 PM »

What setting should be used when hosting?  FIXED host causes connecting issues for participants (even though internet bandwidth was improves by 5X over GT5).  System reports bandwith as LOW or UNKNOWN.  I am currently 50MB down and 5MB up.  In GT5 I hosted pretty much all the time (3-5 times a week) with no real issues and that was at 10MB down and 1MB up.

If non-FIXED and host gets booted, they cannot reconnect.

STARTING lineup issues:  you nevere know if you'll make the start - approximately half the field gets disco'd when final countdown starts.  Also also, you never know WHERE you will start.  You may be in the grass/sand, sideways or pointing backwards on the track, a half a lap back, or may the grid but be unable to move car.

Rolling starts are fraught with issues like above.

Race/Chat quality is a crap shoot at best.  What works one time may not, and probably won't, work next time. 

Some tracks (e.g. Ascari) have areas where you can cut the track and gain an advantage.  I was 3 laps ahead of someone only to have them beat me by cutting while I ran my last lap.

Basically ONLINE racing sucks ass in GT6. And online racing with my friends is what I play the game for...

Anyone having other problems or would like to elaborate on the ones I've listed?

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Online racing issues: GT6
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 12:39:04 PM »

Also also...

EVERY time you change a race setting, the auto-start clock resets it's timer.  It cause unnecessary race delays and did not work that way in GT5.

Also also also, the fancy race title banner is cool, but if that is what is chewing up system resources and screwing up hosting, GET RID OF IT!!!  The cuteness of the interface loses its appeal when there are major problems racing online.  I just hope the cuteness isn't consuming bandwidth that would be better used for actual racing...

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 12:40:09 PM »

Well

The known pit stop glitch is online and off.  Personally I don't care if it affects everybody the same, a glitch is a glitch.

Some times I can't see friends rooms without restarting the game. (refresh does not work, settings changes do not work) most recent instance was at the first February race of the Career in a Year series.

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 12:44:01 PM »

I'd like to see test results on these issues after the next update, which is supposed to be imminent.

A temp solution for the random starting positions is to do one (or maybe two), pre-start races of one lap. One seems to be enough most of the time, but I have had two in a row only once.

I haven't noticed any issues caused by the race banner. Can you explain that one, please?

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 01:00:31 PM »

The race banner was just a joking conjecture.  It is animated and with a drop mirror image shadow so I know it takes some resources to render it...  We certainly didn't have the problems we have now before it arrived.

All of the online issues makes me question if PD actually does any qulaity testing.  These issues jump at you when online, how did they not see them when building the game. 

Anyway, now you can maybe understand why some of us play GTAV all the time vs. racing like we used to.

For the most part GTAV Online works.

Saying GT6 Online is "wonky" is a complete understatement.  Compared to GT5 it is not "wonky"; it's downright broken... 

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 03:41:21 PM »

Missing features and functionality too, not exactly an issue in the same way that actual connection problems are but it is something online related that PD needs to address too.

There was talk pre-launch about some amazing community racing features and options, club type stuff so we could set up online tournaments and other really useful things that groups like us here and anyone hosting events would find really useful.  Where is it?  I could have sworn there was talk of it coming in January but it didn't so far as I can tell.

Also with the options we DO have it still seems like for every improvement they make there's also a completely nonsensical change or omission.  I actually like how the basic room setup stuff is arranged now, I like that we can mess with a settings profile and save it then just launch it when we want instead of having to go through all the settings rigmoral we used to. 

But on the flip side some of the lack of options confuses me, it's good that we can now set HP / KG / PP all together and some of the other car choice restrictions are interesting but we can't use them all at once.  It's an "Either / Or" situation, you can set up the specific power / weight restrictions OR you can choose a class / manufacturer.  Why are we not allowed to choose say the GT500 class AND set power / weight restrictions as well?

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 10:20:20 PM »

Why are we not allowed to choose say the GT500 class AND set power / weight restrictions as well?

Hmmm, I haven't seen this yet. The other missing community features have no release date that I am aware of, so January was just wishful thinking, AFAIK.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 08:42:18 AM »

Why are we not allowed to choose say the GT500 class AND set power / weight restrictions as well?

Hmmm, I haven't seen this yet. The other missing community features have no release date that I am aware of, so January was just wishful thinking, AFAIK.

They definitely said January.  I don't remember where...
(EDIT: It was from the launch event)
http://www.gtplanet.net/gt6-launch-event-reveals-x2014-intro-movie-january-update-deltawing-more/

The biggest problem right now is not just the fact that something isn't there, but that press releases also aren't... there.  We need to hear from them on these issues.  Can't just be silent and expect us to keep going with something a lot of people still consider to be incomplete and broken.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 08:49:27 AM by EX_stream_tuna »

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 09:04:52 AM »

Had a weird thing at TuTu last night. It was early on, with just Stepper, DaletonaDave, Chevy, and myself. Dave was seeing us in different cars, than we were actually in. We were all in '90 ZR1's, but he said I was in a Diablo, and the others guys were in different cars too. To top it off, to him, it showed he was driving the Gt by Citreon. We ran a race to see what would happen. Everybody else was seeing all ZR1's, Dave was racing with us, but to us, his car never left the line, and was an almost unmoveable object. After the race, he left and came back, all was fine. The question is, how screwed up does the network/code have to be, for stuff like that to happen?

Also, badaboya tried and tried to get in last night, and never made it. I was hosting, and he's been on my friends list for a very long time. Don't know what the problem was there.

They need to get this stuff fixed for sure.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 09:15:25 AM »

Had a weird thing at TuTu last night. It was early on, with just Stepper, DaletonaDave, Chevy, and myself. Dave was seeing us in different cars, than we were actually in. We were all in '90 ZR1's, but he said I was in a Diablo, and the others guys were in different cars too.

I've seen this one before too.   It was the night of the first Career in a Year kart race.  I was seeing people in BMW's and Ford Mustangs.  The crazy part was that I left the room, came back & it was still happening.  I had to completely shut down the PS3 and come back before the bug was no longer present.

In my opinion, it's shitty network code.   Whoever wrote the network code needs to be fired & replaced asap.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 09:27:53 AM »

I've heard of that happening in "Watch race" mode, but not in game.  Very weird!

but... I'd point out that Dave is new racing with you so maybe there's something to my speculation about the network needing to adjust for situations where new combinations of drivers are popping up in rooms?

There are so many variables in individual network setups, ISPs, equipment, etc. that this game has to work through, and it does seem strange to me that I have no issues with peopel I normally race with, but usually the new guy has an issue.  And, to rooms hosted by Stepper, Dave would certainly qualify as "new".

Seems like a pattern, but who knows  :-\

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 09:45:18 AM »

Had a weird thing at TuTu last night. It was early on, with just Stepper, DaletonaDave, Chevy, and myself. Dave was seeing us in different cars, than we were actually in. We were all in '90 ZR1's, but he said I was in a Diablo, and the others guys were in different cars too.

I've seen this one before too.   It was the night of the first Career in a Year kart race.  I was seeing people in BMW's and Ford Mustangs.  The crazy part was that I left the room, came back & it was still happening.  I had to completely shut down the PS3 and come back before the bug was no longer present.

In my opinion, it's shitty network code.   Whoever wrote the network code needs to be fired & replaced asap.

I think that GT6s overriding problem is a lack of talent on the programming side.  Netcode is tough.  AI is tough.  Physics is tough.  When you don't have the computing power like in the days of PS1, you need to make large assumptions and simplifications to make it feel like you are driving a real car which PD did a remarkable job of.  Now computers and consoles much more powerful and competitors are coming up with much better tire models and physics models and PD just can't keep up.

I heard a theory on why 0 camber has the most grip.  Someone thought it was because PD didn't model tire deformation in their new tire model.  I bet the GT5 model didn't either but probably had a simple hack that changed grip based on camber.

I bet that the differing physics between  different modes are partly because they didn't properly isolate the physics code.  Assetto Corsa had a similar problem in the tech demo.  Physics were on the same thread as the graphics so different framerates would affect laptimes.

Unfortunately, I think until PD hires talented people to help out, things will only get worse.  And I don't think they understand that.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 11:43:06 AM »

I also wondered if the camber issue was that they modelled the 0 camber setting as the OEM stock default setting for that car, and that any deviation way from that was actually going outside of what is optimal for the car.  But if that were true, there whould be a negative number allowed too, on cars that don't start out at default with a true zero.

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 12:38:32 PM »

While not a problem, so to speak, and not even online, I hate the fact that there is an automatic replay after EVERY offline race.  WTH?

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 12:50:48 PM »

While not a problem, so to speak, and not even online, I hate the fact that there is an automatic replay after EVERY offline race.  WTH?

Or having to turn traction control off for each and every fucking car you have.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up