SupaTunaGT

• March 29, 2024, 05:07:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Around here we're just FAST enough to have FUN.

Race FAST!  Race HARD!!  Race CLEAN!!!   Have FUN!!!!

Long line Tunas!!!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll @ GTPlanet  (Read 2634 times)

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Poll @ GTPlanet
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 05:22:07 PM »

My hdmi's are gold too and much more pricey than the ones I connect with.

I haven't had great hdmi history, they always seem to go bad. 

IMHO. YMMV...

(Should have addded a disclaimer to my post but can't edit from cell phone.)

I think I have 1 hdmi connected TV and that was because it is not really a "TV" and that's the only commection it haD except for red-white-yellow which didn't cut it). Yeah it was a cheap Korean TV from a company I never heard of. It's in one of our guest bedrooms.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 06:25:22 PM »

My hdmi's are gold too and much more pricey than the ones I connect with.

I haven't had great hdmi history, they always seem to go bad. 

IMHO. YMMV...

(Should have addded a disclaimer to my post but can't edit from cell phone.)

I think I have 1 hdmi connected TV and that was because it is not really a "TV" and that's the only commection it haD except for red-white-yellow which didn't cut it). Yeah it was a cheap Korean TV from a company I never heard of. It's in one of our guest bedrooms.

I'm not saying that HDMI is good.  There are a lot of headaches associated with it.  Handshaking issues and crap like that.  I'm just saying that you can get a very good HDMI cable for very cheap.  My Sony Playstation monitor is very sensitive to HDMI issues but since I started using Monoprice cables, I haven't had a single issue.  Seriously, if you aren't buying your HDMI cables from monoprice you are probably either paying too much or getting a poor quality cable.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 07:00:29 PM »

Seriously, if you aren't buying your HDMI cables from monoprice you are probably either paying too much or getting a poor quality cable.

I'll vouch for this.  I'll take it a step further and say y'all should be buying any kind of wire/cable you need from Monoprice.

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 01:44:53 PM »

What I referred to with HDMI is that we can buy cheap HDMI-only computer monitors with really fast response times, but TVs tend to lag a bit more and have more cable connector types.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 09:46:43 AM »

What I referred to with HDMI is that we can buy cheap HDMI-only computer monitors with really fast response times, but TVs tend to lag a bit more and have more cable connector types.

I had no idea, thank you. Perhaps a new setup and a 32 inch or so monitor is in my future.

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 02:27:58 PM »

Monitors under $300 can have lag times of less than 5ms. I saw one, recently, that was only 2!

However, if you are going from a TV to a monitor, you must figure out how to deal with sound. Your TV and related cables had RCA connectors that worked with pretty well everything, in their day. Not now. Optical/coaxial out for sound in all the rage, so no monitor or Bluray player will have a sound connector that you probably want/need.

Also, check out monitors/LED TVs for light leakage around the bezel. That seems to be a problem, today. I also saw that listed in one of the Samsungs linked by Amazon.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 03:36:05 PM »

Monitors under $300 can have lag times of less than 5ms. I saw one, recently, that was only 2!

However, if you are going from a TV to a monitor, you must figure out how to deal with sound. Your TV and related cables had RCA connectors that worked with pretty well everything, in their day. Not now. Optical/coaxial out for sound in all the rage, so no monitor or Bluray player will have a sound connector that you probably want/need.

Also, check out monitors/LED TVs for light leakage around the bezel. That seems to be a problem, today. I also saw that listed in one of the Samsungs linked by Amazon.

Luckily, the cheaper LCD tech actually has better response times.  The more expensive monitors like the apple cinema displays have better colour reproduction but worse response times.

But response times aren't the same as lag.  The response time is just how quickly a pixel can go from black to white.  Input lag is how long it takes the monitor to display an image after receiving the signal.  So response time will be part of the lag but not all of it.

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • "Global Peace Through Deadly Force"
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 06:18:56 AM »

and... if you own the disc do you get the downloadable one for free?  I sure hope so. (or heavily discounted)

So far two of the ps3 games I have that are also one the PS4 have a coupon  for PS4 digital download of $10.00   

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 11:34:32 AM »

HDMI ain't all that.  Good old RGB (I never know if its compnenet or composite) video. Five wire connections run 1080p just fine.  Plus cables (even monster gold connection ones) are cheaper than hdmi. 

i agree that HDMI ain't all that but a good HDMI cable only costs a few dollars.  I can't imagine that you could get monster component cables for that price.

I've been staring at a 32" LCD pretty closely for a few weeks now, and I can definitely tell a huge difference between component and HDMI.  Component goes from Digital, to analog, back to digital, and you lose the fidelity in the process.  HDMI is digital all the way and a good rule of thumb for digital is to start and end there.

@ Dude, you may be right about the adapters...

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 11:54:33 AM »

When I read "pCars" in this thread I got all excited and thought we were talking about a racing game for Porsches (since Porsches are called P Cars for short sometimes).

Sadly, I see that's not the case  :(

Regarding the HDMI discussion, I also buy all my HDMI cables of Monoprice/Amazon for cheap and they work great.  As to RGA cables and whatnot, my GoPro Camera transmits it's 1080p feed to my TV via such cables and the picture quality is considerably better than my DirecTV's 1080i broadcast signal.

PSN ID = dawson864

waverider*tuna

• Albacore Tuna
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 03:30:33 PM »

Speaking of TV's Monitors and such. I spent the last two weeks buying, trying, and returning TV's.

My Original setup was a  2009 42" LCD Vizio. It had 3 HDMI connections, and an option for audio component out as well as the optical out. I used the analog output to run My transducers that shake My rig.

I've been wanting to upgrade to a newer, and larger of course Flat Panel LED TV.

I purchased a 47" LG LED Backlit TV, It actually was about the same size as the 42" Vizio that I was replacing, thanks to a much smaller Bezel/Frame. It did not have the analog audio output, only optical. It had a very nice picture, and even the shadows, interior and track were visible at night from cockpit view. Picture wise I would by another one.

I wanted to go to a 50" screen though as the 47 was so close to scale, and a 50 " was only 100 bucks more.. I held a Momo steering wheel up to the wheel on the screen. With a 50 the wheel matches the wheel size on the screen perfectly.

I took the LG back and picked up a 50 " Sharp LED backlit TV. This TV had digital audio output only. I could not get the colors right at all. Way too much contrast. Could not see the dash at all unless it was lit directly. Could not drive at night. Monza sand looked white, and any white was washed out.I spent a week adjusting that set, to no avail. So back it went.

I saw a Vizio Razor M50 LED 3D Smart TV for 599.00 open box at the Best Buy that i deal w/. It's 5 mi. from My house. I picked it up. The tv has a 240 HZ refresh rate, and the 3D is really cool. It has way more options for Video settings than the Sharp. It is very realistic and the increased viewing area   helps out when using cockpit view. It has the analog audio (RCA) output.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up