SupaTunaGT

• April 25, 2024, 10:36:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Iracing  (Read 45649 times)

TunaPhreak

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • Do or do not, there is no try.
Re: Iracing
« Reply #405 on: April 21, 2013, 10:05:22 AM »

Now that I'm on and it works and I might actually try this jam, how do I friend yous guys?  Is it all by e-mail address?  Spectated a race yesterday, got me thining of a way I *might* be able to get my wheel attached to my PC in a usable way.  Might have to make a little pedal tray though under the desk.  Hmmmm home depot time.
Race smarter, not harder!
http://www.mygranturismo.net/26145
My PSN is PsychoPhreak, not TunaPhreak. You can tune a car but you can't TunaPhreak!

Tuna_Girls_n1cup

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #406 on: April 21, 2013, 08:19:59 PM »

Phreak, you need to type in our real names in the Driver Search area, it will then take you to our individual profile page. Below the helmet you can send a friend request or add studied. I'm John Wilding and you can typically find me in the Mustang, MX-5, or the Skippy. Next season I'm looking forward to the Lotus 49 and the Kia.

MX-5, what wheel and pedal set up do you have? When I first tried iRacing I had the hardest time getting used to the brakes, in fact I practiced for a week and didn't like it so I gave up on iRacing for over a year until I was talked into it again.

The always on ABS in GT5 can really goof you up going into iRacing, it keeps you from getting into trouble and learning true finite brake modulation. Initially I had a DFGT and the pedal wasn't firm enough, when I tried iRacing the second time I had my T500RS and the braking was much better, I now have an urethane bushing behind my brake pedal which makes it almost solid, but feels more like real like to where you are depending more on pressure than muscle memory. It's kind of like an $8 load cell. The firmer pedal helps by leaps and bounds. There is also an adjustment in the driving options part of the sim to adjust the brake sensitivity. Look into it and play around a bit.

I love the concept of iRacing and the accountability with the SR system...it's tough to imagine going back to anything else. Sure, there is a lot of practice required, but that adds the realism to the sim. I may race once or twice a week, but I'm always focused on my iRating, SR, and solid results. Truth is, I only found myself racing the same amount in GT for points racing so little has changed. The physics are so demanding that the practice doesn't feel like work, I'm always working on my skills and learning the track boundaries and how far I can push them.

iRacing is different from what we're all used to, but it can be just as if not more fun. It's all in what you are looking for. I'm hooked.  :)

Best of luck and congrats on your first win!

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #407 on: April 22, 2013, 07:37:01 AM »

I just upgraded to the CSR Elite pedals and I'm starting to finally get used to them. I still enjoy GT5, we have a series coming up with that Renault car that will be a lot of fun. Playing GT5 with the Tunas has it's advantages. It's not hard to find friends to drive with and we always have a pretty good time. There's more variety night to night with GT5.

But iRacing is clearly a better simulation of the real world and far more challenging. I find that if I'm having trouble with a certain corner, I stop and think about how I would handle it in my car. For example, I recently was having difficulty down shifting into a corner. I was messing it all up and upsetting the car causing me to either spin or just lose a lot of time. Turns out I was driving like in GT5 where it doesn't really penalize you for a late shift (as much). Then I realized, duh, if I'm not getting the blip on the throttle right, then downshifting is like hard braking and you can't do that while cornering. So I started my downshift earlier while still in a straight line, let the car settle and then enter the corner.

I was able to drop about a second or two from my laps with that one change. And I got to thinking about it and decided, yeah, I like that the sim is teaching me good habits. The time I spend in the game is transferable to the real world, so it's time well spent. This has actually driven me to put more hours into the game, I look at it like practice.

But overall, I have yet to have any of the really epic races like we sometimes get in GT5 where you have 4 wide going into a corner or something and it comes down to drafting down the final stretch. I don't get that much in iRacing, at least at the rookie level. 

MX
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #408 on: April 22, 2013, 09:27:01 AM »

I thought that you upgraded to the clubsport pro pedals?

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #409 on: April 22, 2013, 11:21:43 AM »

Oh shoot, I keep getting those two mixed up. Yeah, I got the Clubsport V2 pedals, these:

http://us.fanatec.com/Pedals?product_id=255

MX

Tuna_Girls_n1cup

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #410 on: April 22, 2013, 06:06:42 PM »

I just upgraded to the CSR Elite pedals and I'm starting to finally get used to them. I still enjoy GT5, we have a series coming up with that Renault car that will be a lot of fun. Playing GT5 with the Tunas has it's advantages. It's not hard to find friends to drive with and we always have a pretty good time. There's more variety night to night with GT5.

But iRacing is clearly a better simulation of the real world and far more challenging. I find that if I'm having trouble with a certain corner, I stop and think about how I would handle it in my car. For example, I recently was having difficulty down shifting into a corner. I was messing it all up and upsetting the car causing me to either spin or just lose a lot of time. Turns out I was driving like in GT5 where it doesn't really penalize you for a late shift (as much). Then I realized, duh, if I'm not getting the blip on the throttle right, then downshifting is like hard braking and you can't do that while cornering. So I started my downshift earlier while still in a straight line, let the car settle and then enter the corner.

I was able to drop about a second or two from my laps with that one change. And I got to thinking about it and decided, yeah, I like that the sim is teaching me good habits. The time I spend in the game is transferable to the real world, so it's time well spent. This has actually driven me to put more hours into the game, I look at it like practice.

But overall, I have yet to have any of the really epic races like we sometimes get in GT5 where you have 4 wide going into a corner or something and it comes down to drafting down the final stretch. I don't get that much in iRacing, at least at the rookie level. 

MX

I hear you on the crazy GT5 finishes, although I've had at least 3-4 that come to mind in iRacing just while typing this. The cool thing is you don't necessarily need to escape the rookie ranks to have epic races, you just need to find consistency and get your iRating up so you can get into the higher splits. I mostly race the Skip and in the top split the racing is always phenomenal, and if you want a car that will teach you the basics that you can adapt to everything in the sim...the Skip is your car. Plus it's Mazda powered.  ^-^

Have you downloaded iSpeed for data review? It's a whole new level that will teach you a world about your driving from how much brake you are using vs. someone else, your mph in each corner; essentially everything a $2,000 real life data acquisition system would provide you, but it's free.  8)  The way to find the download is to look up iSpeed in the forums, there is a ton of info on it, and guides to use it.

Also, did have you hit the TAB key? It's essentially like the ghost option in GT, but without the partially translucent ghost car. I can't drive without it now, it's an awesome tool.

Good luck and keep at it!

PS: If GT6 gets released on the PS3 I'll be back around, mostly for curiosity, so I'm not a goner forever. I do try to stick to sim one at a time because I'm getting old and have trouble adapting back and forth quickly.  :-[

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #411 on: April 23, 2013, 12:37:48 PM »

Just got my Class D License.    :jimi:

I downloaded iSpeed but haven't used it yet. I've been trying to get Motec working to no avail. I've posted a few threads about that on the forum. I'm somewhat interested in getting an AIM Solo for my MX5 and then seeing if I can write a converter to convert the iRacing format to whatever format that software uses. That way I can look at iRacing data and real life data in the same app. Or heck, maybe I'll get one of the Motec systems, at least that would give me a friggin license to the software.

Had a great race last night. Three of us pulled away at the start and battled for several laps. I spun out and then spent the next 20 laps trying to catch them. Caught one of them, passed him, then he rear ended me and took the lead. @#$@#$ Still, good racing.

MX

TunaPhreak

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • Do or do not, there is no try.
« Reply #412 on: April 24, 2013, 11:56:48 AM »

So I fired this up this morning and did a few test/practice laps at Laguna Seca.  What a different feel this game has for sure!  Aside from knowing I need to figure out some better way to stabilize my pedals, a few questions for you guys:

AFTER practice I noticed the availability of Braking and Throttle assistance, and for a driving line.  Are these options only available in practice, or race settable like GT or what?  I didn't really have issues with throttle or brake control, but I do love me my driving line, so just wondering what it affects.

Also, I felt like the default force feedback on my DFGT felt VERY low.  At least compared to calibration!  I bumped it from the default power of 10 to 20 I think, but it still felt very loose.  Are there recommended settings for this (I'm sure) widely used wheel?  And other than that, how do I get to practice with you guys/other cars on track w/o points/qualifying/affecting my profile, is that possible?  I'd like to check out and see if I can use voice chat or even remotely keep up without worrying too much about penalties for now :)

Quite interested in this now though, I do like the feel, and lifting to shift is gonna take some getting used to!  That reminds me, is there a way to double map buttons?  Right now I'm using the paddles as my upshift and downshift, but can I dual assign the sequential shifter like in GT?  There aren't many times I like to use that little stick shifter, but when the wheel's 180 it does come in handy!
Race smarter, not harder!
http://www.mygranturismo.net/26145
My PSN is PsychoPhreak, not TunaPhreak. You can tune a car but you can't TunaPhreak!

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #413 on: April 24, 2013, 12:00:01 PM »

Just got my Class D License.    :jimi:

I downloaded iSpeed but haven't used it yet. I've been trying to get Motec working to no avail. I've posted a few threads about that on the forum. I'm somewhat interested in getting an AIM Solo for my MX5 and then seeing if I can write a converter to convert the iRacing format to whatever format that software uses. That way I can look at iRacing data and real life data in the same app. Or heck, maybe I'll get one of the Motec systems, at least that would give me a friggin license to the software.

Had a great race last night. Three of us pulled away at the start and battled for several laps. I spun out and then spent the next 20 laps trying to catch them. Caught one of them, passed him, then he rear ended me and took the lead. @#$@#$ Still, good racing.

MX

Congrats on the D license.  I'd still work on getting your incidents down.

What problems are you having with motec?  have you installed the mu converter (or whatever it is).  Motec works fine for me.

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #414 on: April 24, 2013, 12:08:45 PM »

So I fired this up this morning and did a few test/practice laps at Laguna Seca.  What a different feel this game has for sure!  Aside from knowing I need to figure out some better way to stabilize my pedals, a few questions for you guys:

AFTER practice I noticed the availability of Braking and Throttle assistance, and for a driving line.  Are these options only available in practice, or race settable like GT or what?  I didn't really have issues with throttle or brake control, but I do love me my driving line, so just wondering what it affects.

Also, I felt like the default force feedback on my DFGT felt VERY low.  At least compared to calibration!  I bumped it from the default power of 10 to 20 I think, but it still felt very loose.  Are there recommended settings for this (I'm sure) widely used wheel?  And other than that, how do I get to practice with you guys/other cars on track w/o points/qualifying/affecting my profile, is that possible?  I'd like to check out and see if I can use voice chat or even remotely keep up without worrying too much about penalties for now :)

Quite interested in this now though, I do like the feel, and lifting to shift is gonna take some getting used to!  That reminds me, is there a way to double map buttons?  Right now I'm using the paddles as my upshift and downshift, but can I dual assign the sequential shifter like in GT?  There aren't many times I like to use that little stick shifter, but when the wheel's 180 it does come in handy!

There are a couple of threads on how to set up your wheel.  Unfortunately, I think the easiest one to find is an older one.  Someone wrote a program to determine the lowest force that your wheel can produce.  You plug that into one of your settings.  I think that the linear setting is also recommended these days.  to determine your max level just set it to something and go driving.  One of the bars in the upper right corner will tell you if your ffb is clipping (it goes red).  Then turn it down.

Practice sessions don't affect your safety rating or irating.  Neither do private sessions.  time trials, qualifying and racing will all affect your safety rating.  time trials will also affect your ttrating.  racing will obviously affect your irating.  I think qualifying affects your irating (not sure).  And road and oval are separate ratings.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #415 on: April 24, 2013, 02:18:08 PM »

Congrats on the D license.  I'd still work on getting your incidents down.

What problems are you having with motec?  have you installed the mu converter (or whatever it is).  Motec works fine for me.

I got Motec figured out. I was trying to "Import Data" instead of "Open Log File". Once I figured that out, I was a geek in heaven. Lots of data.

Incidents. Yeah, I got a lot of those. I've been doing a lot of thinking about that. First of all, I've learned a little lesson about the Safety Rating. It only means jack-shit if you want to get above a D License. My goal, my reason for paying the money for this game is to be a better race car driver. And to that end, until I win the Miata Cup, I have a long way to go. I am intentionally running without any of the assists to force me to learn how to do proper heel-toe and left foot braking techniques in the simulator so I can try them in the car. I'm already making enough progress to blip the throttle on all downshifts at lights on the way to and from work. The problem for me in the game is that it's all a lot to keep straight while I'm racing. And every now and then I make a mistake and I spin the car. I would do better with the paddle shifters and auto-blip. But since I don't have those features in real life, I'm trying to avoid the temptation to use them.

So that's my dilemna. I'm fast enough to start on the pole without really trying at the current level. I suck bad enough to finish just above everyone who quits the race, most races, usually because I either miss a shift and spin the car, spin it trying to avoid traffic, or some knucklehead doesn't like getting passed and decides to road rage me.

In a nutshell, I need a few months to settle into the right frame of mind to do better in my races. No amount of "just take it slow and finish on the lead lap" ever seems to help me.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #416 on: April 24, 2013, 02:28:31 PM »

And other than that, how do I get to practice with you guys/other cars on track w/o points/qualifying/affecting my profile, is that possible?  I'd like to check out and see if I can use voice chat or even remotely keep up without worrying too much about penalties for now :)

Have you added me to your racers list "MyRacers" in the menu? Name is: Michael Schaefer2

I'd also like to figure out how to practice with you guys. Next time you are online, once you've added me, send me a text message and lets see if we can figure out how to get into a room together (private or public).

Also, I'd like to put a feeler out to see if people would support having an iRacing dedicate topic on the SupaTunaGT site? Here is my thinking on this. My short amount of time on iRacing leads me to believe that this game is going to be around for a while. It has racers from all over the world who are just freaking amazing drivers. And it appears to me that they recognize that they could lose a lot of monthly subscription revenue if people don't continue their subscriptions while they are checking out pCars and rFactor2. So the updates are coming pretty frequently and they are clearly working on things like Team Driving, Crew Chiefs, Spotters and a host of other features. So even if pCars and rFactor2 are great, I don't see this game going away. Also, if you look at who plays the game from the TPRA guys and here ... there's a lot of people. And finally, speaking of the TPRA, iRacing is what they wanted to be. It is a full fledged racing league. It's like the TPRA on a blend of crack and steroids. And so, for those looking for that kind of racing, it's going to be the leader for a long time to come. That said, there will always be a need for a place like this where things are more relaxed. But I think iRacing is going to be here to stay for a long time. Just a thought. It would be great to race out there with some of the same folks here. And if we got enough people, maybe even a Tuna team with custom Tuna paint jobs. Just saying.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #417 on: April 24, 2013, 03:21:06 PM »

Feldynn has some custom paint jobs you can get from him. Some are even Tunafied. :)

quote author=Feldynn link=topic=298.msg45363#msg45363 date=1343069972]
In case anyone was interested I grabbed some shots of the 4 cars I paid at least some attention to the livery / colour scheme on, it's a simple enough editor in so far as you basically pick some preset paint schemes which have 3 colours you can set and sponsor decals that have predetermined positions but it does have more depth if you play around with it some.

I wasn't feeling very creative but I did slap some grease paint on these 4 clowns..

Mazda MX-5 Roadster

Legends Ford '34 Coupe

Mazda MX-5 Cup

iRacing Street Stock

[/quote]

Not wishing to be out done by Wizard's fun liveries in Project Cars I took it upon myself to pick up the proverbial Gauntlet and spend the afternoon throwing together an iRacing livery.. nothing fancy mind, but here it is, presenting:

The iRacing TUNACO Street Stock car!  Sponsorted by Tunaco Oil and Fuel, SupaTuna GT and Feldstein Shocks :).

Haven't tried any oval racing yet and it's not like anyone else would actually see it on track unless I upload it to TradingPaint and they happen to download it, but yeah.. there it is, first attempt at a custom livery :).  Special shout out to Chrome for the original STGT / Fish logo!

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #418 on: April 24, 2013, 03:22:35 PM »

So I've been working on another one, not very imaginative since I used the same colour scheme as the Street Stock livery as well as a lot of other style elements and it's hard to really find places for the extra sponsor logos on such a small car but here's a quick set of snapshots combined into one easy-to-view image :).

Presenting the "SupaTuna GT" Mazda MX-5 Cup car:  sponsored by Tunaco Oil and Fuel, Big Rek Towing Services and Feldstein Shocks (again lol)

I just hopped on a track quick that didn't have the greatest camera angles, or I just don't know where they are yet since it's all fixed stuff that I haven't figured out the positions for yet, and so far as I know there's no "manual camera" option like in GT.

Wow I see he has more.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #419 on: April 24, 2013, 03:39:17 PM »

Yeah, those are pretty awesome!!!
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32   Go Up