SupaTunaGT

• March 29, 2024, 02:50:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Iracing  (Read 45527 times)

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: Iracing
« Reply #435 on: September 03, 2013, 04:00:37 PM »

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #436 on: September 04, 2013, 12:55:46 PM »

racer.com has a rah-rah article about iRacing.

http://www.racer.com/console-racers-help-fuel-iracing-growth/article/309997/#

"With road racing and ovals, stock cars, sports cars, open-wheel cars, touring cars, and production cars, iRacing is really like dozens of games in one. "
And priced like a dozen games (if you buy all the tracks and cars you need for the higher race series).  I think that many pc sims are a step up in realism compared to consoles and sims like rFactor2 and Assetto Corsa may be better than iRacing at least with the last tire model.  The new tire model puts iRacing on pretty close footing to rF2 and AC.  It's currently only on four cars but should be phased in for all cars over the next couple of builds.

The three major selling points for me are:
1. The laser scanned tracks.  iRacing tracks are second to none.  They scan the tracks in higher detail than AC and others.  I think it makes a huge difference in how the tracks feel.
2. Performance.  While iRacing uses older graphical technology, it still looks pretty good and performs exceptionally smoothly even with triple screens on my system.
3. Most important to me is the racing organization.  iRating makes it more likely that you are racing against similarly skilled racers.  Safety rating encourages cleaner races.  The race scheduling means that I can always find racing when I have time and I can even take part in a points racing series.

The game can be too serious if you let it.  The key for me which made things a lot more fun was finding races where I didn't need to worry so much about iRating or Safety Rating.  That used to be the rookie oval series for me but has now moved to the Carburetor cup (a Nascar race with no effect on iRating or SR) and hopefully the Indy oval series.

On another note, several of the GT Academy finalists are primarily iRacers. 

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #437 on: September 04, 2013, 08:00:52 PM »

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #438 on: September 05, 2013, 08:31:13 AM »

WOW, that was a close one, and worthy of an animated gif, for sure!

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #439 on: September 05, 2013, 02:25:19 PM »

Last night one of the female racers had a pink indycar with a pink ribbon on it with the saying: "save the tatas"

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #440 on: October 11, 2013, 12:07:21 AM »

Bathurst is being released for week 13 (so in a couple of weeks).

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #441 on: October 16, 2013, 08:58:06 PM »

Next week is week 13 which means a new build is coming.  As I stated, Bathurst will be in the new build.  The new National series Mustang will be released for the oval side as well.  More importantly, at least four of the free cars will be upgraded to the new tire model (NTMv5).  The MX-5, Solstice, Spec Racer Ford and Legend car.  I suggest that anyone who hasn't been on in a while (Wiz) check out the new update.  The skippy is a ton of fun with NTMv5.  All the release notes for the new build haven't been revealed just the schedule for week 13.  One highlight of week 13 is going to be a 54 car MX5, Solstice, SRF race at Bathurst.  This will be an unofficial race so it won't affect your SR.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #442 on: October 17, 2013, 05:00:44 PM »

I suggest that anyone who hasn't been on in a while (Wiz) check out the new update. 

Shit man, I haven't turned on my wheel in over a month.  In a simracing funk, I am. 

But I must say that being able to test this new tire model, on the free cars, is enticing.  I'm pretty busy for the next two weeks but once that dies down maybe I'll check it out.

Thanks for the info.  :)

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #443 on: October 21, 2013, 09:13:25 PM »

New update is coming out tomorrow.  Not a ton to note.  The biggest thing is that the MX5, SRF, Solstice, Legend and Jetta have all been upgraded to NTMv5.  All but the Jetta are included with base membership.

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #444 on: October 22, 2013, 09:03:46 AM »

New build delayed.

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #445 on: October 23, 2013, 02:56:38 PM »

New build is out.  First impressions:  I took out the SFR and MX5 cup car for a quick spin around Suzuka.  It's been a while since I've driven either so my memory may be foggy.  The MX5 felt quite a bit better than I remember it.  Much easier to feel the grip and when you are on the limit.  The SRF didn't try to kill me ever so it is definitely much better than it was before.

The tire model feels a lot better but I can't quite put the finger on why.  rFactor 2/GSC gives pretty distinct ffb when oversteering.  This seams absent from iRacing but I still feel like I know what the car is doing.  I didn't get that feeling in the older iRacing tire models.  I think it must be partly tire sounds and partly how the car starts to slide when it gets over the limit.  I think that the old tire model would put you in an unrecoverable spin much quicker.

Bathurst sounds like an awesome track but I never like buying iRacing stuff at full price if I can help it and I probably shouldn't dish out money for 6 pieces of content (20% discount) right now.  I'll wait to see if there is a black Friday sale.

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #446 on: October 23, 2013, 03:40:32 PM »

"Realistic weather" for official races!  Last build we got small weather changes: humidity, temperature, wind, wind direction, sunny,overcast,partly cloudy.  This included an option of "realistic weather" which would choose conditions based on the track that you were racing.  The weather changes weren't used for official races last season.  For week 13 and apparently next season, "realistic weather" will be used for official races.  The conditions for each series will be randomly determined at the beginning of the week then used for all sessions within that week.

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #447 on: November 21, 2013, 05:58:54 PM »

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #448 on: November 25, 2013, 10:42:54 AM »

Black Friday special is on now.  Get a one year membership renewal for $49.  You membership doesn't have to be current.

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #449 on: December 20, 2013, 11:29:54 AM »

The Ruf has been released.  You get all three versions (and a fourth AWD version when released) for one price.  It is getting rave reviews.

Imola and Monza have been anounced.  Monza to be released this summer.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Up