SupaTunaGT

• March 29, 2024, 04:55:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Iracing  (Read 45528 times)

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: Iracing
« Reply #450 on: January 14, 2014, 12:01:55 PM »

Epic race last night.  I lost by 0.017s.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #451 on: January 14, 2014, 02:05:40 PM »

New build is out.  First impressions:  I took out the SFR and MX5 cup car for a quick spin around Suzuka.  It's been a while since I've driven either so my memory may be foggy.  The MX5 felt quite a bit better than I remember it.  Much easier to feel the grip and when you are on the limit.  The SRF didn't try to kill me ever so it is definitely much better than it was before.

The tire model feels a lot better but I can't quite put the finger on why.  rFactor 2/GSC gives pretty distinct ffb when oversteering.  This seams absent from iRacing but I still feel like I know what the car is doing.  I didn't get that feeling in the older iRacing tire models.  I think it must be partly tire sounds and partly how the car starts to slide when it gets over the limit.  I think that the old tire model would put you in an unrecoverable spin much quicker.

Bathurst sounds like an awesome track but I never like buying iRacing stuff at full price if I can help it and I probably shouldn't dish out money for 6 pieces of content (20% discount) right now.  I'll wait to see if there is a black Friday sale.

Thanks for this information. I'd love to try the new tire model on the MX5 one of these days. With the old one, it was near impossible to race in close proximity to people because the cars would get loose and there was always one person who could not handle it. The rest of us learned to brake in a straight line and baby the car through the corners. But it never really felt like racing to me. It felt like crash avoidance.
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #452 on: January 14, 2014, 02:37:16 PM »

New build is out.  First impressions:  I took out the SFR and MX5 cup car for a quick spin around Suzuka.  It's been a while since I've driven either so my memory may be foggy.  The MX5 felt quite a bit better than I remember it.  Much easier to feel the grip and when you are on the limit.  The SRF didn't try to kill me ever so it is definitely much better than it was before.

The tire model feels a lot better but I can't quite put the finger on why.  rFactor 2/GSC gives pretty distinct ffb when oversteering.  This seams absent from iRacing but I still feel like I know what the car is doing.  I didn't get that feeling in the older iRacing tire models.  I think it must be partly tire sounds and partly how the car starts to slide when it gets over the limit.  I think that the old tire model would put you in an unrecoverable spin much quicker.

Bathurst sounds like an awesome track but I never like buying iRacing stuff at full price if I can help it and I probably shouldn't dish out money for 6 pieces of content (20% discount) right now.  I'll wait to see if there is a black Friday sale.

Thanks for this information. I'd love to try the new tire model on the MX5 one of these days. With the old one, it was near impossible to race in close proximity to people because the cars would get loose and there was always one person who could not handle it. The rest of us learned to brake in a straight line and baby the car through the corners. But it never really felt like racing to me. It felt like crash avoidance.

It is currently week 12 which means next week is week 13 and the new build is supposed to come out.  The new build is supposed to have new enhancements to the NTMv5 in particular the over the limit behaviour of the tire.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #453 on: January 14, 2014, 03:05:15 PM »

Well if you hear of them offering any deals to come back, let me know. I may be interested.

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #454 on: January 14, 2014, 03:22:39 PM »

Well if you hear of them offering any deals to come back, let me know. I may be interested.

Since I've been a member there have always been deals for existing/returning members June/July and Black Friday but I'll let you know if something comes up.

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #455 on: April 23, 2014, 12:44:18 AM »

New build released includes:

BMW Z4 GT3
Toyota Camry
Circuit of the Americas

Brass Monkey support
NTMv5 tire model on several more cars (mostly oval)

With the gen six NASCARs on NTMv5, I might have to give the carburetor cup a go again.  I get about 30min of sim time every couple of weeks so I don't have much time for practicing for normal races.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #456 on: August 18, 2014, 03:20:10 PM »

So, an update ... I was lured back by the release of COTA. That's probably the first major track that I'll get to take the MX5 on, possibly as early as later this year. A group I belong to is going in November. We'll see. Anyways, I wanted to practice the track a bit so I signed back up. And man am I glad that I did. As mentioned above, they've updated the tire model while giving the MX5 some much needed attention. I'm not sure what all they did, but now the car does not have the snap-oversteer problem and it's very balanced in the corners, especially with a custom tune. I've been in some epic battles lately and it's been a lot of fun. With this car on these tracks, everyone is basically laying down very similar lap times and it just boils down to where you qualify and who makes a mistake. I am loving it.

Anyways, that's what I've been up to. Not sure if anyone else is still playing.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #457 on: December 09, 2015, 04:48:38 PM »

First footage I've found of the Nordschleife.  It's amazing what they're doing while still on DX9.  I hear they're updating to DX11 and 64 bit soon.

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #458 on: December 10, 2015, 10:38:01 AM »

I've always been impressed with the guys at iRacing.  They know what they are doing.  At one point their tire model was a little too complicated for their own good but they have refined it and it is really good (at least the last I played).  Their tracks are second to none.  The laser scanning is a lot more accurate than the laser scanning the other use.

The Nurburgring has been divided into two tracks, the Nordshleife and the GP.  If you buy both, you can run the combined tracks such as the 24hours.  I may use my proceeds from project cars to get this.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #459 on: December 10, 2015, 11:58:26 AM »

it's noteworthy, that he says in that video that Kunos have essentially equaled the level of scanning for the track, stating only that road detail felt better in iRacing - but that could be due to more than just the scan itself.

When you are able to feel bumps that are a couple inches wide, I don't see how you can need any more detail than that ;)  You might as well start asking them to model the reduction of traction that results from a few worms attempting to cross the track and getting squished ;)

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #460 on: December 10, 2015, 12:09:45 PM »

Direct comparison between iRacing & AC.  I like iR's road textures a lot better.  Scenery looks more lush. Lighting looks better too.  Very impressive for such an old engine.

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #461 on: December 10, 2015, 12:35:45 PM »

iRacing now has PBR (physically based rendering) shaders.  Basically what that means is that the material properties of the models are based on real life measurements.  The advantage to this is that models should look correct even under different lighting conditions.  Which likely means iRacing will have dynamic lighting in the not distant future.

ACs uses mobile laser scanners which are accurate to 2cm.  iRacing uses stationary laser scanners which are millimeter or sub-millimeter accurate. 

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #462 on: December 10, 2015, 02:05:07 PM »

that accuracy is of course very impressive.  I"m just wondering if that detail actually makes it to the game - because, wouldn't the wireframes for the road surface need to be gigs and gigs just every few miles to pull that off?  And, how much can something a tenth of a millimeter wide actually affect your tires?

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #463 on: December 10, 2015, 02:18:23 PM »

Direct comparison between iRacing & AC.  I like iR's road textures a lot better.  Scenery looks more lush. Lighting looks better too.  Very impressive for such an old engine.

it's remarkable how similar the video is on both sides, and I did not see a single re-sync done with editing the video, unless they were very good at hiding it.  That means the two sims have almost identical accuracy of physics, which would be expected when both are striving to get closer and closer to the real thing.  It'd be like if we were both racing to a common point, but started on opposite ends of the track.  As we both approached the finish, we'd naturally have to also get closer to each other.

I do agree that IR's road textures look a little better - but also noticed that some of the effect seems to be a more accurate sheen on the road when hitting the sun's rays at the best angle.  On the AC side, the road looks especially good coming down the final straight, for instance, because time of day is different.  There is still an edge that IR has on the road ,even with conditions the same...  But, it would be better if both videos were taken from same sky type and time of day (even season if it is modelled).  There is even a point in the back stretch of AC's Nord where the trees look a lot better than IR's IMO.  However, most of the time IR's looked better at least as far as appearing most natural looking.  AC's branches and more complex foliage appears to have finer detail to it, though, especially around the edges.

Also, I noticed there was some graffiti on IR that is missing from AC ;)

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #464 on: December 10, 2015, 02:39:51 PM »

Also, I noticed there was some graffiti on IR that is missing from AC ;)

I thought this too, but if you watch it again a lot of the graffiti on iRacings is the same shit over and over again.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32   Go Up