SupaTunaGT

• April 24, 2024, 01:49:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Gauging interest in a no ABS regular evnet...  (Read 2077 times)

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
Gauging interest in a no ABS regular evnet...
« on: March 29, 2014, 08:25:41 PM »

So lately I've been running the seasonals with no ABS and have been having a blast with it.  So much so that I'm considering starting a regular event on Wednesdays running no ABS.  I don't know that it would be a weekly thing, but I'd run it fairly often.

It took me forever to even try no ABS in GT6 due to how bad it sucked in 5.  I figured not much had changed in that department.  Boy was I wrong....  it's much better!!!  

It's bringing new life to an otherwise pretty dull game for me.

If you're interested in trying it out, take a car with a fair amount of HP (I was just running a '97 RX-7) out on some sport hards and have a go around the Green Hell.  It's an absolute joy.  

Don't put on the racing brakes....  just use the stock brakes and adjust the balance to your liking.  

Remember those corners with the bumps in the braking zone?  Remember how you could just mash the brakes and it wouldn't upset the car much, if at all?   Yeah, try it now with no ABS! :)

Any interest?

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: Gauging interest in a no ABS regular evnet...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 02:05:28 AM »

How do you adjust non-ABS brakes to your liking?

In GT5, I looked at the point when the wheels locked up as a starting point.

Now what?

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 10:50:21 AM »

I need to actually get out and try GT6 without ABS sometime, I keep meaning to do so but usually have forgotten between the time I think about doing it and actually firing up the game lol.  I know in GT5 I really enjoyed running lower end race cars (GT300 and such) and the Build Your Own Touring Car thing I did for ToC on racing tires with no ABS, so depending on how it feels now in GT6 and what car(s) you plan on running I might be interested :).

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 11:59:12 AM »

I would be hit and miss but it sounds like a good program. Even if only twice a month I think it is a cool idea. I think it would have helpful dividends for all my other driving. The more I sit here and think about it,I think I can be more than semi regular. Making our own fun with what we have I applaud your efforts with this Wiz.

nosoks

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »

I would be hit and miss but it sounds like a good program. Even if only twice a month I think it is a cool idea. I think it would have helpful dividends for all my other driving. The more I sit here and think about it,I think I can be more than semi regular. Making our own fun with what we have I applaud your efforts with this Wiz.

:stoopid:
 sounds like a better option than grid or Shift ... thank you Wiz  8)
If everyone follows rule #1 we'd need no other rules
Rule #1 = Pay attention

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 06:00:12 PM »

Shit like this is really twisting my arm to get a new pedal and wheel set. Thanks Wizard.  :D

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 03:58:58 PM »

ok sorry for the post and run.  Haven't had much time lately to expand on this.

@Master -  I'm not really sure I can answer your question as I'm still trying to figure this out myself.  I think I can safely say that running no ABS will expose a bad tune more so than if ABS were on.  Even though I plan to run a mix of tuning and no-tuning events with this, I think when tuning is open, it will be extremely important.  That said, I do think there is/will be an element of personal preference when setting our brake bias.  There's a guy over at GTP that runs no ABS all the time and has for years.  He is quite comfortable running high brake settings.  I tried a few of his tunes, struggled with them and had to lower the brake settings a bit.   This is one of the main reasons why I want to do this.  I'm hoping we all learn a little something along the way.

@All -  The first event will probably be Wednesday the 16th with a small chance of Saturday the 12th.  This event will mainly be run on various days due to my wifes work schedule.  My only two options really are Wednesday and/or Saturdays.  It will not be run on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays or Sundays.  If it's run on Saturday, I will not run it during the time GT Saturdays is running or during Boston's late night event.  Would most likely start on either day at around 6 or 7 eastern.  If wolfpacks2K's event takes off, I will not be running on Wednesdays either.  This has the potential to be an event that only gets run a couple times a month.  And that's ok.  I'm not looking for a weekly commitment from anyone, myself included.

I'm planning on starting off with an easier car in hopes to get everyone to realize it's much easier than it was in GT5.  Then we'll gradually get into more difficult cars.  After we're all used to it, I'll just run whatever I feel like running.

My main goal for this event is simple....   most of us have spent years working on our throttle control, now it's time to see how we do with the other foot. :)

More to come "soon".

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 10:26:43 AM »

ok sorry for the post and run.  Haven't had much time lately to expand on this.

@Master -  I'm not really sure I can answer your question as I'm still trying to figure this out myself.  I think I can safely say that running no ABS will expose a bad tune more so than if ABS were on.  Even though I plan to run a mix of tuning and no-tuning events with this, I think when tuning is open, it will be extremely important.  That said, I do think there is/will be an element of personal preference when setting our brake bias.  There's a guy over at GTP that runs no ABS all the time and has for years.  He is quite comfortable running high brake settings.  I tried a few of his tunes, struggled with them and had to lower the brake settings a bit.   This is one of the main reasons why I want to do this.  I'm hoping we all learn a little something along the way.

@All -  The first event will probably be Wednesday the 16th with a small chance of Saturday the 12th.  This event will mainly be run on various days due to my wifes work schedule.  My only two options really are Wednesday and/or Saturdays.  It will not be run on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays or Sundays.  If it's run on Saturday, I will not run it during the time GT Saturdays is running or during Boston's late night event.  Would most likely start on either day at around 6 or 7 eastern.  If wolfpacks2K's event takes off, I will not be running on Wednesdays either.  This has the potential to be an event that only gets run a couple times a month.  And that's ok.  I'm not looking for a weekly commitment from anyone, myself included.

I'm planning on starting off with an easier car in hopes to get everyone to realize it's much easier than it was in GT5.  Then we'll gradually get into more difficult cars.  After we're all used to it, I'll just run whatever I feel like running.

My main goal for this event is simple....   most of us have spent years working on our throttle control, now it's time to see how we do with the other foot. :)

More to come "soon".

Saturday afternoons would work well for me as I am usually home by 3pm PDT. I broke down yesterday and ordered a Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2 Wheel and a CSR Elite pedal set.  :)

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 11:24:38 AM »

If its a Saturday afternoon I may join in from time to time as well.  Once I got use to the car, I really enjoyed Charlie's no ABS races in GT5.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 11:36:07 AM »

I broke down yesterday and ordered a Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2 Wheel and a CSR Elite pedal set.  :)

Nice!

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 11:38:25 AM »

It'll most likely be run in the evenings.  Probably around 6 or 7 eastern for a start time.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 11:39:41 AM »

I broke down yesterday and ordered a Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2 Wheel and a CSR Elite pedal set.  :)

Nice!

I am glad you approve. I think I might need to add your number to my speed dial for tech assistance. :)

Also, 6 or 7 eastern = 3 or 4 pacific.  :D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 11:41:33 AM by DudeTuna »

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 11:53:38 AM »

I broke down yesterday and ordered a Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2 Wheel and a CSR Elite pedal set.  :)

Nice!

I am glad you approve. I think I might need to add your number to my speed dial for tech assistance. :)

Also, 6 or 7 eastern = 3 or 4 pacific.  :D

Congrats on the new wheel & pedals. Also Wiz is an encyclopedia of useful info. Fanatec has found a niche home here in our little pond i think.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 09:32:15 AM »

Holy cow that was quick. I'm due to receive the wheel and pedal today from FEDX.  :) Now for the new rig and I'm good to go. Apparently playseats don't like to be drunkenly bunny hopped around the living room floor. 

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 12:28:20 PM »

Apparently playseats don't like to be drunkenly bunny hopped around the living room floor. 

is there video of this event taking place?   :lolz
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up