• April 25, 2024, 11:21:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our new HOME!!!

These ARE the TUNAs you seek...

CHECK OUT our site, BECOME a member, JOIN our "EVNETS", and RACE with us...

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kaz Virtual divide  (Read 1689 times)

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Kaz Virtual divide
« on: March 31, 2014, 11:53:50 PM »

Has anyone actually watched this?  Is it worth watching?

KAZ: Pushing The Virtual Divide - Gran Turismo Documentary (Full Movie)

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
Re: Kaz Virtual divide
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:13:29 AM »

Yes, I'd say so.

Even if you have a lot of disdain for some of the quirks about this man, it's worth watching and is fairly inspiring and insightful.

also, it's where one of my points about "how PD does things" came from.

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 01:24:10 PM »

For whatever it costs to download the file, why not watch it?

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 12:09:38 AM »

Was worth the time. Nice to get a peek behind the curtain.

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 12:01:41 PM »

I may be in the minority. I did not care for it.  Too much artsyfartsy, not enough real history/info.  It seemed to me the director had little real footage to use so he had to bolster it with other people talking about art. 

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 12:09:16 PM »

I may be in the minority. I did not care for it.  Too much artsyfartsy, not enough real history/info.  It seemed to me the director had little real footage to use so he had to bolster it with other people talking about art. 

If hard facts were what you were watching for I can see being disappointed. My fear of them getting into the nuts and bolts of it, would be most of that would be over my head. It was from a different perspective is all 10 different directors would have come up with 10 different films. It gave me some faith that Kaz is a car guy not a computer guy working with cars. A look into the mindset that is producing much of how I spend my free time was cool.

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 01:47:58 PM »

I could have done without the "insight", I'd have been more impressed if they would "fix" GTsux so it included functionality we liked from GT5. Oh, that's right.  They will. Soon...

IMHO. YMMV.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 09:08:20 AM »

I could have done without the "insight", I'd have been more impressed if they would "fix" GTsux so it included functionality we liked from GT5. Oh, that's right.  They will. Soon...

IMHO. YMMV.

Totally agree with the sentiment, but I doubt that PD spent much time on this documentary.  However, it is a totally valid argument that they should be focussed on making their products as awesome as the vision that Kaz has, is.

That's the problem with visionaries afterall, that they almost never achieve their goals.  The best artists in the history of the world left most of their work unfinished, for instance.

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 11:32:34 AM »

IMHO. YMMV.

Totally agree with the sentiment, but I doubt that PD spent much time on this documentary.  However, it is a totally valid argument that they should be focussed on making their products as awesome as the vision that Kaz has, is.

That's the problem with visionaries afterall, that they almost never achieve their goals.  The best artists in the history of the world left most of their work unfinished, for instance.

Yep.  I will say despite me not liking the documentary.  I thought the director did a good job of presenting what info he had and his take on the subject.  But yeah, I was expecting more of a behind the scenes/nuts and bolts type documentary or at least something more involved like "Dale" which was done shortly after Dale Earnhardt’s death.

Also, I suspect some of the lack of information was due to the fact that Kaz and PD were very busy at the time of filming.

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 01:15:47 PM »

IMHO. YMMV.

I doubt many of the coders that would be responsible for the fixes had much to do with the movie being made. looks like two entirely separate issues.

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 06:43:56 PM »

I doubt many of the coders that would be responsible for the fixes had much to do with the movie being made. looks like two entirely separate issues.

:agreed

But then I don't blame the coders for the failure either.  I blame the overall project manager and also "upper" management.  After working for over 25years in information technology you learn that the coders only do what they are told.  But then there's usually an acceptance test phase where the "bugs" get worked out.

Let me say firstly, I still love Gran Turismo. 

But, as a person who hosts at least 2 events a week (used to be three), GT6 has cut into my livelihood.   I have yet to have a totally glitchless evening hosting in GT6.  It's gotten better but I think we'd have better luck with "let's all hit enter on the 7".  I realize that was Prolong.  But GT5 Online wasn't nearly as carpy as GT6  (and by now you know how'd I'd prefer to spell it   ;) )  'Stepper proved it as recently as this past Tuesday.

Sorry, I've gotten spoiled by another game that didn't take as near as much of my money but still appears to listen to its users, try to fix problems (even ones they create), and do it in a fairly timely manner - i.e. monthly updates.

We, however, do not appear to be important to PD.  That's not being negative.  It's actually kinda stating fact based upon observed behavior.  And yet they always seems to find time for various and other sundry efforts.

But I still love this place, you guys, and yes,  as I said at the start, even Gran Turismo.   If I didn't do you think I'd still put on evnets every :fucking week?!

InMyHumbleOpinion (aka IMHO)  YourMileageMayVary  (aka YMMV)

p.s.  i actually thought the "war on negativity" was focused on something else, not PD.  we've always griped about PD.  Why did we call it Prolong?  why do we always say "soon"?  and yet we always figure out how to adapt (and post about it for others).  we are actually a value-add for PD. and we live up to our side of the bargain each and every week with our events.  but they usually give us what seems like empty promises.

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 07:09:22 PM »

I understand the gripes they are legit but after hearing them over and over and knowing we are equally powerless to fix the issue just gets to be a bit much at times. And I am sorry your internet issues truly I am. If I were having your issues I am not sure how I would cope honestly.  But I am spending about three hours a day online with only minor if any issues. So I am not entirely convinced the PD/Sony are 100% responsible if they were the issues should exist more evenly.

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 07:33:56 PM »

I think it's the servers.  We hook to different ones I bet, being n different side of the US. Hopefully it will improve after they close GT5 online.

I get the similar "room" numbers as in GT5 so I think they are "sharing" servers one way or another. 

1472.6399.xxxxxxx

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 11:51:59 PM »

Someone, I think DaletonaDave, mentioned problems over the weekend. Last night, I had a bunch of people get dropped from MNR, so maybe something is up.

Kaz is a director for SONY beyond Polyphony Digital, so even a few years ago, with his racing and all, I think he told us that he only puts in about 20% of his time with GT itself. Some of his time is spent with World Wide Studios, for example.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 07:46:20 AM »

Someone, I think DaletonaDave, mentioned problems over the weekend. Last night, I had a bunch of people get dropped from MNR, so maybe something is up.

Kaz is a director for SONY beyond Polyphony Digital, so even a few years ago, with his racing and all, I think he told us that he only puts in about 20% of his time with GT itself. Some of his time is spent with World Wide Studios, for example.

my theory isthat some of the servers went down and the rest of them had a hard time carrying the extra load. That's what it "felt" like to me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up