SupaTunaGT

• April 26, 2024, 07:15:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: GT Academy 2014  (Read 7191 times)

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
GT Academy 2014
« on: April 15, 2014, 12:21:20 PM »

I'll get the topic going with some questions to discuss...

Do you think we'll get a new track?

Or perhaps even a new car or two?

My guess is that now that Silverstone is in the game, that's where the academy will be held every year since that's where the real life stuff happens.  I hope I'm wrong as that'll get boring after a while, but boring might not matter to them as it's probably the ideal way to go.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
Re: GT Academy 2014
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 12:51:48 PM »

They have used GTA to introduce new tracks in the past.

Indy Road Course, during GT5P, and appeared in GT5
Motegi, during GT5, and added to it
Silverstone, during GT5, and appeared in GT6

These were all playable for the first time in GTA evnets.

A new track would be a very welcome sight.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 01:13:52 PM »

:stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid:  :stoopid: :stoopid:  :stoopid: :stoopid:  :stoopid: :stoopid:  :stoopid: :stoopid:  :stoopid: :stoopid:  :stoopid: :stoopid:  :stoopid: :stoopid:  :stoopid: :stoopid:  :stoopid: :stoopid: 

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 01:28:38 PM »

They have used GTA to introduce new tracks in the past.

Indy Road Course, during GT5P, and appeared in GT5
Motegi, during GT5, and added to it
Silverstone, during GT5, and appeared in GT6

These were all playable for the first time in GTA evnets.

at one point we were told "monthly track DLC" so seeing as how they reneged on that, I really hope they do give us a new track for this.

It seems they want to give us something new each year to allow for someone to not merely learn one track and become a race car driver.

It seems to be a test of "here you go.  Learn this in a few weeks".

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 01:30:46 PM »

:stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid: :stoopid:  :stoopid: :stoopid:  :stoopid: :stoopid:  :stoopid: :stoopid:  :stoopid: :stoopid:  :stoopid: :stoopid:  :stoopid: :stoopid:  :stoopid: :stoopid:  :stoopid: :stoopid:  :stoopid: :stoopid: 
I may actually try GTA 2014 if there is a new track.  Otherwise I'm not too interested especially since we Canadians got screwed again.

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 01:38:07 PM »

Seems like PD has renegged on almost all of their promises and new features for the game have become quite stagnant.

Here's hoping for a new track!  (or car, whatever).

PSN ID = dawson864

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 02:02:20 PM »

Would just about kill for a new track.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »

I may actually try GTA 2014 if there is a new track.  Otherwise I'm not too interested especially since we Canadians got screwed again.

fair enough, well except that it's pretty widely known that Canadian laws are the reason that SONY can't get you all included.  Something about Quebec I've heard?  Something about SONY not wanting to say what other contests say, "valid everywhere except Quebec".... I'm not saying I know this for sure, but I heard something fairly concrete on this a while back.

I feel for you though.  I wish I could say all of my Tuna friends have had the opportunity.

Though, as it was with last year, Canadians can do the Time Trials, they just won't be listed as part of the NA region (now called US because of CA exclusion).

But when we click "Global Rankings" in the menu, We'd still be able to see where you landed, so why not still give it a go?

You never know.  You might be surprised by how enjoyable it will be!

nosoks

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 03:43:10 PM »

I've always found this beyond challenging, got a Canadian account and am too old to become a real race driver so won't spend too much time on it.
One of myIndonesian friends suggested an Indonesian account and an Asian version of GT6, but I'm not spending money on a different version of this game.
The possibility of a new track is exciting tho  8)
Good luck to you fellas with a chance to be competitive
If everyone follows rule #1 we'd need no other rules
Rule #1 = Pay attention

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 03:46:09 PM »

fair enough, well except that it's pretty widely known that Canadian laws are the reason that SONY can't get you all included.  Something about Quebec I've heard?  Something about SONY not wanting to say what other contests say, "valid everywhere except Quebec".... I'm not saying I know this for sure, but I heard something fairly concrete on this a while back.

I feel for you though.  I wish I could say all of my Tuna friends have had the opportunity.

Though, as it was with last year, Canadians can do the Time Trials, they just won't be listed as part of the NA region (now called US because of CA exclusion).

But when we click "Global Rankings" in the menu, We'd still be able to see where you landed, so why not still give it a go?

I'm really trying to ignore your posts but it's hard when you keep spewing bullshit.  It is widely speculated that Canadian laws are at fault yet I haven't seen anyone come up with a specific law that the contest would violate.  Our laws didn't stop sony before nor have they stopped iRacing and Mazda from putting on a similar type of contest.  Are we supposed to believe that our laws are so much more restrictive than countries in the Middle East, Europe and Asia?  If sony and pd don't care enough about us to include us in their contest, I don't see why I should care enough about them to participate.

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 04:01:35 PM »

Not sure how any of the following would or could effect the rest of Canada being left out but it does seem to indicate there could be complications that might not make it wise financially for these sponsor companies to do these types of contests for our friends to the north.

I did a google for Quebec Lottery laws and here was the most common answer I saw.

Companies don't prohibit residents of Quebec from entering many of their sweepstakes because they don't want to advertise in Quebec, or because they have anything against the residents of that fine province. The reason why so many sweepstakes are void in Quebec is that the sponsors must follow a stringent set of rules set out by the Quebec government.
For example, in order for sponsor to skip the "void in Quebec" restriction, Quebec sweepstakes law requires that the sponsors must do some or all of the following things:

Register the sweepstakes rules and all advertisements used to promote the contest with the Quebec government at least 30 days ahead of the sweepstake's launch.
Pay a fee of up to 10% of the sweepstakes' value, depending on who is allowed to enter.
Agree to allow the government of Quebec to mediate any lawsuits arising from the contest.
Follow strict guidelines about the contents of the sweepstakes rules.
Allow the Quebec government to determine if the sweepstakes may be changed or canceled once it has started.
File a written report after the contest has concluded, attesting that the prizes have been delivered or attempted to be delivered.
Agree to follow a number of other rules and guidelines. See the Quebec Sweepstakes Laws.
These restrictions are more severe than those allowed in other Canadian provinces. Imagine the cost for a company based in Florida to litigate disputes about their sweepstakes in Quebec, for example. Especially for smaller companies, the advantage of allowing residents of Quebec to enter does not justify the potential costs.

These laws are intended to protect the citizens of Quebec, and they do ensure that more prizes are awarded as promised, which is so important for sweepers. However, they also cost sweepstakes sponsors money and resources, and the consequences for a mistake are severe. Rather than risking legal action if these sweepstakes laws are not followed to the letter, many sponsors take the easy route of making their contests and sweepstakes void in Quebec.

PD/Nissan/SONY by law could of basically had a choice of including Canada without Quebec, or excluding Canada as a whole to try and be fair.

Don't think I agree with them if this is PD/Sony/Nissan's thought process but at least it might explain their actions somewhat. If I were them I would just say "Void in Quebec" if the citizens feel slighted they could speak to their lawmakers.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 05:49:48 PM by BakedTuna »

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 09:51:32 PM »

Baked, none of that sound particularly onerous to large companies like Sony or Nissan to me.  Heck, a trip to Silverstone can't be all that expensive.  I suspect that there is more to it than Quebec laws but if it is about Quebec laws it is pretty short sighted.  Motorsports are much more popular in Europe than in North America.  Quebec has the most European tastes in North America and Montreal has a very European feel to it.  The province is a hotbed for motorsports.  NASCAR was always well attended in Montreal and the city goes nuts over Formula 1.  rFactor chose the kart track in St. Hilaire for their sim.  Mont Tremblant is a world class racing track.  Trois Rivieres hosts a huge event that includes nascar.  Look at all the race car drivers that come out of Quebec (off the top of my head 2 Villeneuves, Tagliani, Carpentier).  Maybe most importantly for Nissan, people in Montreal spend money on cars.   It's all about being seen in Montreal so what you wear and what you drive is important.  It would be a huge opportunity for Nissan and in particular Infiniti in Quebec.  If I'm trying to sell cars or a video game about cars, Quebec is one of the first places I want to target.

But again, as typical of Sony and PD we don't know why they are screwing Canada because they don't communicate.

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 10:12:41 PM »

I agree this should not be to frightening to the likes of the companies involved but it might lend some validity to what Ex was referring to in this case.

The trip to Silverstone may not be huge money but probably decent enough cash. And then hypothetically if someone would win it, then you have to place a value on a year long contract to start someone into a new career.

And yes it is incredibly short sighted as I said if I were them I would hold the contest and just say Void in Quebec and let the legislators answer the questions.

My kart tuner/engine builders were a family, two generations, that was originally from Canada and the stories they would tell left me with some idea how big all levels of motor sports are there.

And yes some great drivers are native Canadians and Paul Tracy too.  ::)

We are involved in a very one sided relationship with Sony/PD and will likely never get answers to even half of our questions. It really is a shame because much of the GT crowd has been pretty devout through the years.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 10:40:37 PM »

And yes some great drivers are native Canadians and Paul Tracy too.  ::)

Don't forget Greg Moore :RIP

I agree this should not be to frightening to the likes of the companies involved but it might lend some validity to what Ex was referring to in this case.

It's one thing to realize that Quebec laws could be an issue (I lived in Quebec for 6 years).  It's something completely different to say that it is widely known that it is the reason and it is bullshit to suggest that my opinion is less valid because Quebec laws is the reason we are getting screwed.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 08:06:45 AM »

I'm really trying to ignore your posts but it's hard when you keep spewing bullshit.  It is widely speculated that Canadian laws are at fault yet I haven't seen anyone come up with a specific law that the contest would violate.  Our laws didn't stop sony before nor have they stopped iRacing and Mazda from putting on a similar type of contest.  Are we supposed to believe that our laws are so much more restrictive than countries in the Middle East, Europe and Asia?  If sony and pd don't care enough about us to include us in their contest, I don't see why I should care enough about them to participate.

There is no reason why a rational person could not include everything you typed, except for the yellow part there.  And yes, it is yellow in every sense of the word.

I posted some perspective to try to HELP you, despite past disagreements.  I even qualified my statements with "I'm not saying I know this for sure, but I heard something fairly concrete on this a while back" so really, when you call that bullshit you really just come across as confrontational and probably skipping over most of the posts you comment on!   :laugh :laugh :laugh

I've said this to you before and you didn't even respond.  That, when someoen qualifies a statement with "this MIGHT be true" and you come back with "you made an assumption", it is not any sort of revelation.  You didn't score any points by pointing out the obvious.

I said it was rumored, and you came back to agree that it was rumored, and yet you attack me for it being "bullshit" when you spewed the exact same thing.  Since the "wide speculation" is all we have, then it is simply not fair to blame PD (and no, I'm not invoking that blame Canada joke  ^-^ )

The truth is, if you want to adore Occam's razor like all self-professed "skeptics", then that means either there is a grand conspiracy against Canada, which is fucking ridiculous, or there is some sort of legal issue, and legal refers to laws, so yea.  Why don't YOU tell me which of those is more likely to be true?

A few people at this forum wanted to start a new, POSITIVE thread about GT Academy to help encourage people to participate, and you come in with "we Canadians got screwed again" which is totally irrelevant if you aren't going to go for the gold.  It's not a stretch for me to have assumed you actually meant "PD/SONY screwed us again", and I didn't even call you out on that.  I just offered some perspective to try to help you enjoy it even though you can't go all the way.  Yet, you chose negativity.  I can't help you with that.

You can still do the time trials (traditionally at least), you can still see how you rank among your friends, and you can approach the additional content that Academy will bring to your game with hope, or you can just be a naysayer about everything.

I specifically avoided language in my post that could possibly offend you.  Yet, you were.  I avoided harkening to past conversations, appearing adversarial.  Yet, you perceived it.

At this point there's nothing I can do to change your outlook on the game or myself.  You're hell-bent on being upset, so have fun with that!  I'll be enjoying my game with my friends, and you too, if you should ever choose to join us.  I will try to forget this ever happened, and I hope you can too.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up