SupaTunaGT

• March 29, 2024, 09:29:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Spintires  (Read 5946 times)

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Spintires
« on: June 18, 2014, 11:28:13 AM »

Ever wanted to drive big, old, smoke belching trucks from Eastern Europe through the mud while trying not to get suck and / or tip over in comedy fashion.. maybe haul logs through a forest and discover new and amusing ways to fail at crossing rivers?  Then this game might just be for you :D.

Available on Steam:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/263280/

And for quick viewing here's the trailer and some screenshots from the Steam page:

SPINTIRES Official Release Trailer 2014

A tech demo is available for free at http://www.spintires.com/ though the website seems a bit slow lately and it's worth bearing in mind it's a 12 month old tech demo, the game has improved significantly since then.

Sadly there's no 1st person view (yet?  Read a rumour one might be added in a future patch) and from what I've seen the camera at times can be quite the pain in the arse but otherwise the game itself seems to be properly good.  The terrain deformation is amazing to the point that half the fun is seeing how horribly stuck in the mud you can get, your trucks do actually get covered in mud as you drive around and it does wash off if you go through water enough (just don't go into water too deep or you'll kill the engine!). 

The game engine and graphics also are very good (and quite well optimized from what I've heard) and there are tons of little details like the mud splattering on your truck, caking on the tires, clear water can turn muddy as you churn up the ground, what looks like a tiny rock on the surface could be the top of a giant boulder buried in soft mud.  There is some visual vehicle damage in terms of dents and such which looks good but isn't excessive, though when you have heavy damage it does sound like the engine really is about to die.

From what I've seen the game itself is very much a sandbox game, you pick a map and are basically free to do as you please though there are some objectives (i.e. haul lumber from point A to point B, which isn't as easy as it sounds) as well as some exploration / discovery.  The map starts out mostly shrouded in big black "Cloaking" circles, as you drive around you can find these black tornados which clear out a section of the cloaking once you get close enough, doing that can reveal vehicles to unlock and places to go to like a fuel pump (specifically for refueling the fuel trucks I think and your current truck's regular tank) or other Garages that you can acquire (a spawn point that repairs / refuels your vehicles, you start at one but can find others elsewhere in a map and have to take resources there to unlock them).

Oh and it has multiplayer too so you and your friends can frolic in the mud together! :)

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • "Global Peace Through Deadly Force"
Re: Spintires
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 11:41:21 AM »

I almost purchased this the other day. They don't have wheel support yet but I read they will down the road. And as you mentioned I think cockpit view is expected also. The landscape modeling does look ridiculously cool though. You can go pull people out also in multiplayer. And if you watch some videos you will see that "not" getting stuck is a huge part of the game. I may still pick it up in a couple weeks.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 12:08:11 PM »

Oh yeah i forgot about the lack of wheel support, thanks Rek :).  I tried the tech demo the other night and it does at least have controller support which worked really well with my off-brand Xbox controller, that sort of lessens the impact of no 1st person view because it with a controller + 3rd person it at least a sort of GTA type feel to it (as in comfortable driving in 3rd person with a controller).

Oh yeah not getting stuck in the mud is also a big part of the game too :), just seems that getting stuck is the first thing you discover hehe.  And the winch system is great too, for getting around and getting yourself out of a bad situation so long as you stay near trees or have another big truck or buddy nearby to winch onto.  I'm probably going to get it myself, just trying to hold off until the big summer sale on Steam as that should be pretty close now.

Brindle

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 12:15:16 PM »

This actually looks fun.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 12:53:46 PM »

I've been lurking in the thread for this at GTP. It looks fun, but until I get a computer that has more power than a '74 Pinto, I'm out of luck.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 01:21:26 PM »

Here's a bit of gameplay footage, bit of a long winded video and takes a good minute or so to get started but it's a pretty good look at the basics.

SPINTIRES - First Impression - Steam Release Version (Spin Tires Gameplay Full Release)

Also I don't know if the full game can be modded but there was a pre-release or tech demo version that could be and some folks had done some really good quality mods like a Jeep Wrangler, Ford Bronco and other more civilian style offroading / mudding type vehicles.  So hopefully the game will have good potential for expansion with both official and community made content.

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 02:14:42 PM »

Here are the minimum and recommended specs.

System Requirements

Minimum:

Processor: Intel® Pentium Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent

Memory: 2 GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT or equivalent

DirectX: Version 9.0c

Hard Drive: 1 GB available space

Sound Card: DirectX® 9.0c Compatible

Additional Notes: Game is compatible with: Gamepad Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows; This game is 32-bit application

Recommended:

Processor: Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.5GHz or equivalent

Memory: 4 GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 or equivalent

DirectX: Version 9.0c

Network: Broadband Internet connection

Hard Drive: 1 GB available space

Sound Card: DirectX® 9.0c Compatible

Additional Notes: Game is compatible with: Gamepad Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows; This game is 32-bit application

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 05:51:35 PM »

This game looks awesome! Please come to PS3 or XBOX360!
Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 11:43:04 AM »

This actually looks fun.

Let me know if you are really interested in this. I can see some multiplayer being fun.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 12:31:15 PM »

It appears there is a potential issue or design flaw with how progress is saved, when you start a game on a map you can exit and continue and it'll retain all your progress but if you start a new game on a different map it wipes your progress on the previous map (it keeps achievements like doing the objects or whatever but resets the map in terms of areas discovered and other progress). 

Not sure if this is a bug or something that'll be fixed any time soon, I haven't done any research on it, but I thought it worth mentioning.  I'll probably still get it if it comes on sale since the Steam Summer sale just kicked off today though and just complete 1 map at a time lol.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 11:38:26 PM »

Took this Jeep thing (UAZ i think) drag racing in a field.. got tree'd  ^-^

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 06:11:05 AM »

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 09:59:10 PM »

This game looks better and better. I don't have to befast. I like getting muddy and love loading timber on trucks. By the way feldyn, was u able to wench off the newly created stump.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 12:11:37 AM »

I did manage to get it off the stump yeah, not sure if I just hit reverse and gunned it or winched back using the tree behind but it wasn't a big issue.. unlike this one time when I sunk it pretty good..

And this small accident that I had with another truck..

.. which turned out ok in the end, though the little blue truck did get a bit of mud all up itself :D

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 05:14:22 AM »

Wish I could play this.  :(

If my boss would quit farting around, and sell me my old work computer(kickass iMac) I'd have plenty of computing power for this.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up