SupaTunaGT

• April 28, 2024, 10:52:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Live for Speed  (Read 2442 times)

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Live for Speed
« on: October 22, 2013, 10:34:26 AM »

LFS is the first PC that I tried.  To this day, many people think that it has the best physics of any sim.  Apparently the tire model showed it's limitations when they decided to implement a real car (a Scirocco) so they've been working on a new tire model.  This was long before GT5 came out.  The LFS developers put PD's "soon" to shame.  Anyway, we finally got an update from the developers.  What it boils down to is: We were happy with our income from LFS so we didn't do shit; now that our income is drying up we figure that we should start doing some shit again.

Hello everyone!

The developers are all alive and working on LFS.

Eric has been working on new tracks. He slowed up a bit during some of the great English summer which we don’t get very often. I have enjoyed test driving on two of his new tracks which look great and I look forward to the time when they can be released.

I am still working on the tyre physics, though I haven’t really made serious progress this year. I also enjoyed the summer, did a lot of cycling and running too. It’s a better hobby than smoking like I used to, and I really enjoy it. But the good news is it won’t pay the bills!

LFS income has gradually gone down as it always does between updates. That that has increased the urgency of finishing the tyre physics. So I plan to get down to it, make the appropriate approximations and sort out a good physically based system, with enough assumptions to make it workable, accepting that total realism is an unachievable goal.

I just got a bit excited about stereoscopic 3d support, which some people will like because they’ll be able to see LFS in 3d on a 3d TV, if their TV supports “side-by-side” or “top and bottom” mode. Also headsets should be supported if they accept one of those output modes. The old headsets that require specific support and sequential output will not be supported. For example a Sony HMZ works but a Vuzix VR920 does not. A more recent Vuzix should work but the field of view is not really good enough to give you peripheral vision. I’m not sure how much it will benefit the Oculus Rift at the moment. I think that depends on a pixel shader to provide the proper distortion, which I think is not available in D3D8. Anyway, one of the output options will be non-squashed (full) side-by-side 3D, which may possibly make it easier to use the Oculus Rift. Anyway it is a step in that direction. It does appear that the current Oculus Rift’s resolution is too low for a racing simulator at the moment. Anyway I should be able to post a 3d test patch in a few days, I’m guessing early next week. Some people will enjoy that, though I realise most people, like me, don’t have 3d equipment.

Victor is still with us, although he has indeed got another job, which looks like a really good one, putting his excellent skills to more use. I’m pleased for him about that, as his job here wasn’t often really full time, although he is an absolutely vital member of our team. He needed a job as well because our profit share isn’t one third each and depends on our actual contributions to the project. Victor started later and never has so much work, so for that reason only, his profit share was a bit of a tight squeeze to live on, specially with the gradual reduction in profits while we are waiting for a serious update.

People ask why I don’t come here more often with progress reports. But there hasn’t been enough progress to give a report. And it’s not appealing to come here and say that. Every month I’ve thought I would be making more progress, and would have some good progress to report the following month. Hope you see what I mean…

Anyway, we do have to pay the bills and I’m very interested to get the better feeling tyre model out there for everyone to enjoy. You’ve heard it all before so I don’t expect great enthusiasm. It will take a while yet, but hopefully not too long.

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: Live for Speed
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 06:46:18 AM »

It's alive! A new update!  They moved to dx9 and added support for 3D devices including the rift.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 10:52:46 AM »

This the one sim I've yet to buy.  I need to grab it one of these days.

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • "Global Peace Through Deadly Force"
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 11:24:04 AM »

Do it!

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 05:27:44 PM »

Do it!

Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 10:35:32 PM »

The demo is free.  No excuses.  :)

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »

do you think that he likes the rift in LFS?  He wasn't clear in the video  :laugh

It is pretty amazing.  The resolution is good enough.  It kind of reminds me of trying out GT4 after having played GT5P.  Probably a bit better.  I don't have issues seeing brake markers and such.  The sense of presence is amazing.  The field of view is a little low, you have to turn your head to see the mirror properly.  But it feels like you are in the car, you naturally turn your head to look at the mirrors and to look into corners.  You can lean forward to read the dials better.  Other cars don't have a ton of detail when they are ahead of you but they look a lot better than DK1.  It is really light years ahead of DK1 and in it's current state it is probably my first choice for racing.

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • "Global Peace Through Deadly Force"
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »

do you think that he likes the rift in LFS?  He wasn't clear in the video  :laugh

It is pretty amazing.  The resolution is good enough.  It kind of reminds me of trying out GT4 after having played GT5P.  Probably a bit better.  I don't have issues seeing brake markers and such.  The sense of presence is amazing.  The field of view is a little low, you have to turn your head to see the mirror properly.  But it feels like you are in the car, you naturally turn your head to look at the mirrors and to look into corners.  You can lean forward to read the dials better.  Other cars don't have a ton of detail when they are ahead of you but they look a lot better than DK1.  It is really light years ahead of DK1 and in it's current state it is probably my first choice for racing.

I kept hearing Josh without all the F bombs  :lolz

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 11:55:33 PM »

Sofa King awesome!  Bouncing around the rallycross tracks with the rift on is awesome (although it does induce a little motion sickness).
Pages: [1]   Go Up