SupaTunaGT

• April 26, 2024, 07:00:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Richard Burns Rally  (Read 3486 times)

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
Richard Burns Rally
« on: July 13, 2014, 04:44:56 PM »

Well, I finally got to install this last night and after a very short time of driving, I can definitely see where all the "best rally sim ever" talk comes from.

Between this and AC I'm going to be a busy boy.  Great game so far, even though I really suck at it.

The game was released in 2004, so it's a bit outdated graphically, obviously.  Though for a 2004 game I think it's looks pretty decent.  Tracks look better than the cars.

The game company went bankrupt so it's no longer supported, but the mod community has been hard at work over the years and has made some really good looking stuff.  Better graphics, new tracks, new cars, etc.  There's a French modding group (RallyeSim) that puts out a ton of content once a year and call it RSRBR.  If I'm reading things correctly, the content from them pretty much rewrites the original game, so I'm going to play around with the original content for a while before installing it.  I'm not sure how long I can wait though, as their content looks awesome.

Here's my run at the Training School track...

RBR School Track

And another run (2nd time around) on my favorite track so far....  (for some reason this one didn't record in widescreen format, so it looks kinda shitty, grainy, distorted.)

RBR

More to come... :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 04:49:35 PM by TunaWiz »

AgentWD40_FL

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Richard Burns Rally
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 05:15:35 PM »

Wish that was on PS .... I'd be all over it.  Love rally, and enjoyed reading about this game when first mentioned a few days ago.

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 05:39:11 PM »

Rally is fun. GT seems to have supported emphasized rally less and less with each game. GT4 (I think) had some AWESOME rally tracks. I'd love to run the ones we have no more, but they just batter the hell out of my wheel and I can't stand it.

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • "Global Peace Through Deadly Force"
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 07:03:57 PM »

Did you have to pull out the old DFGT wheel? Seen Logitech pop up a couple times.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 07:06:19 PM »

Did you have to pull out the old DFGT wheel? Seen Logitech pop up a couple times.

No sir.  I think they were a sponsor for the game or something.  All the sector/timing info has their name on it.

NumbSkuld

• Blackfin Tuna
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 06:36:05 AM »

Really good stuff.  Nice and smooth in the training video.  I had RBR on my old desktop PC (still running Vista 32bits...haven't switched it on for more than a year) and struggled a lot with my old Red Momo wheel.  Very unfortunate about the big installation warning on the game that it will not run on a laptop without a proper video card (it is my main PC nowadays.  Perhaps I should try and install it on the laptop just to see if it works).   :(  ...Now you got me itching to start up my old PC again to play RBR.   :D

Other than RBR, my favourite rally game was (and still is) "Rally Championship 2000" (aka "Mobil 1 Rally Championship" by Actualize / Magnetic Field) with proper damage, puncture, etc.  RC2K was the first game that exposed me to race against other real players (offline racing though) through a league.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:48:36 AM by NumbSkuld »

NumbSkuld

• Blackfin Tuna
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 04:52:49 PM »

I just downloaded all the RSRBR mod, track packs, car packs and mandatory updates.   Digging around a little bit more and found out rallyesim group will release RSRBR ver 05 in about 17 days.  Damnit, I just used a bunch of my bandwidth that will be obsolete in 2 weeks time.  :'( :'(

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 06:41:18 AM »

Thanks for the heads up on the new version coming soon NumbSkuld.

I almost started downloading the older version last night but decided to check in here first and I'm glad I did.

Assetto Corsa is eating up all my free time right now but I think the new mod will be enticing enough to get me back on this game for a bit.

I think the RSRBR mods have some sort of online component to them.  It'd be cool to get a small group of guys together to do some online racing someday. :)

NumbSkuld

• Blackfin Tuna
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 08:36:33 PM »

I applied the patches and add-ons to a fresh BRB installation.  For some reason, I do not have the dashboard.  It was impossible to figure out my speed, revs, gears and what not.  I noticed that the RBR community has Android base dashboard add-ons, which is something that I do not want (at least not at this time).  

I could not get the game to work is with the custom screen resolution (multi-screen set up with my laptop connected to a TV). 

Also, if I use the "Driver" provided with the RBR Community patch, then I can start a race (with a French co-driver....couldn't understand a word he said  :D ).  However, when I start with my own driver name, the game just get stuck with the rotating screen of Richard Burns and his co-driver standing next to the car of my choice from the add-on.

I have uninstalled everything.  When I have some time, I will resintall a clean RBR with no add-ons.  At the moment, I am just too lazy to read everything in the RBR forum to figure out the "perfect configurations", the deciphering of the English translation in that forum is not easy for me.  :(
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 08:43:06 PM by NumbSkuld »

NumbSkuld

• Blackfin Tuna
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 09:04:14 AM »

Mandatory patch #5 (171MB) for RSRBR 2014 has been released on 10-Aug.

http://forum.rallyesim.fr/viewtopic.php?f=351&t=19503&sid=96dfb5721ddc7979a2f8f76bc4fb03ea

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 09:21:54 AM »

PeyePete

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 01:18:04 PM »

That was awesome...  Young Wiz.... a star in the making.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 02:44:11 PM »

Shoot, sorry...  I should have mentioned that isn't me (or my son)  just a random video I found.  Still awesome though! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up