• March 28, 2024, 06:38:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our new HOME!!!

These ARE the TUNAs you seek...

CHECK OUT our site, BECOME a member, JOIN our "EVNETS", and RACE with us...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with wheel advice/knowledge please  (Read 9930 times)

Boston77Bruins

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD
Help with wheel advice/knowledge please
« on: April 21, 2015, 02:34:50 PM »

I have one more odd job (gutters to clean for a lady) and I will almost have enough money for a new wheel.  Well, sort of.  I'm still very short of any Thrustmaster wheel, but I think I can get a Fanatec.  That is, if they stay at the prices they are now and if they are any good.  Damn, I hope so.  I'm tired and I'm tired of being on peoples roofs near dark.  I need a few hours to do nothing.

I know its an older wheel but the Fanatec Porsche GT3 RS V2 Wheel is $179.00 currently.
If I buy the adapter for my Logitech pedals it'll add $5.00 to the price.
They also have a bundle.  The same wheel as above plus the CSR Pedals for $229.00.  I'd save $30.00 buy buying them together.

But, I have reserves.  I don't know anything about the wheel or the pedals.  I would really appreciate any tips or knowledge or advice on these products that you might have.  For some reason I have in my mind that the pedals are shit.  Reliability issues???

Thanks guys!!!

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Help with wheel advice/knowledge please
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 03:08:44 PM »

I have one more odd job (gutters to clean for a lady) and I will almost have enough money for a new wheel.  Well, sort of.  I'm still very short of any Thrustmaster wheel, but I think I can get a Fanatec.  That is, if they stay at the prices they are now and if they are any good.  Damn, I hope so.  I'm tired and I'm tired of being on peoples roofs near dark.  I need a few hours to do nothing.

I know its an older wheel but the Fanatec Porsche GT3 RS V2 Wheel is $179.00 currently.
They also have a bundle.  The same wheel as above plus the CSR Pedals for $229.00.  I'd save $30.00 buy buying them together.

But, I have reserves.  I don't know anything about the wheel or the pedals.  I would really appreciate any tips or knowledge or advice on these products that you might have.  For some reason I have in my mind that the pedals are shit.  Reliability issues???

Thanks guys!!!

I really enjoyed my GT2 (GT2 Xbox compatible, GT3 not) Wheel and felt it was a step above my G25.

Those are good prices. As you can see the adaptor for G25/27 pedals is already included.
What's included
Porsche 911 GT3 RS force feedback racing wheel with belt drive
Quick guide
Power supply
ClubSport Shifter Paddle Aluminum
USB cable (1.8 m/5.9 ft.)
G25/G27 pedal adapter cable (15 cm/6 in.)

I don't think the CSR pedals would be any better than your G27 pedals, but if you go CSR Elites then you step up to a load cell brake and once you go load cell you'll never go back.

Also, this is a useful link Wiz posted at PC help here http://www.fanatec.com/us-en/support/faq/details&id=37
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:15:02 PM by DudeTuna »

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 03:15:05 PM »

My 2 cents....

Save a few more bucks and get the CSR wheel and buy the pedal adapter.  The CSR wheel has more features than the Porsche wheel.

The standard CSR pedals aren't any better than your Logitech pedals.  I'd get the pedal adapter if I were you.

I've had my CSR for 3 or 4 years now and only had one problem.  The directional stick stopped working.  I used it a lot though, so I wouldn't call it a fault of the wheel.  Fanatec sent me a new board and it was easy to replace.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 03:18:08 PM »

My 2 cents....

Save a few more bucks and get the CSR wheel and buy the pedal adapter.  The CSR wheel has more features than the Porsche wheel.

The standard CSR pedals aren't any better than your Logitech pedals.  I'd get the pedal adapter if I were you.

I've had my CSR for 3 or 4 years now and only had one problem.  The directional stick stopped working.  I used it a lot though, so I wouldn't call it a fault of the wheel.  Fanatec sent me a new board and it was easy to replace.

The CSR (Xbox 360 compatible) is $199.00 and the GT3 is $180.00. I totally agree on pedals.

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 05:34:57 PM »

Thanks guys!!!

I have had 4 wheels a DFGT (stock pedals) great starter set to see how interested I was in this online racing stuff. Then I stepped up to a G27 (stock pedals) felt better but the gear noise on bumpy tracks got to me after some time of owning them. Then I stepped up wearily to a CSR (with Clubsport pedals) and was extremely happy that I had. But then a few months later my beautiful sweet kind wife suggested I make the big and possibly final leap to the Clubsport Wheel and it has been fanfuckingtastic.

If I were you and looking to keep to a budget, which I would have had my beautiful sweet kind wife not been so encouraging to invest in my hobby, I would go with the CSR wheel Logitech pedal adapter then down the line step up to a set of CSR Elite pedals or look into a Ricmotech load cell conversion kit for the current G27 pedals.
http://www.ricmotech.com/Load_Cell_Upgrade_Kit_for_Logitech_G25_G27_Pedals_p/rmt-lc27.htm

I am a cheap bastard I would probably still be using my DFGT if not for Mrs Baked, my wife balances us out as a couple. Man did I pick a good one.

EDIT: After having looked at the price of the mod kit $130 and the cost of CSR Elite pedals $150 I would likely make the choice of going with the Elites. But the main point is to go with a load cell for the brake pedal. When the time comes to take that step. A upgraded set of pedals can make a bigger difference in lap times than an upgraded wheel. In my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 08:36:55 PM by BakedTuna »

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna

nosoks

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 08:00:05 PM »

I am a cheap bastard I would probably still be using my DFGT if not for Mrs Baked, my wife balances us out as a couple. Man did I pick a good one.

:stoopid:

having a great wife is great. Having had one who was a crazy bitch  less than perfect a crazy bitch, the great one I got now is the only reason I'm still in this shithole country
If everyone follows rule #1 we'd need no other rules
Rule #1 = Pay attention

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 10:32:45 PM »

All right, I can place this here so all can comment. Feel free to voice your advice.

I have a wheel for Boston only right now. I have Fanatec GT 2 wheel. It is just over one year old, I had to RMA it in march. It had wheel rim alcantra stitching issues and the left wheel paddle shiftier switch failed. Both now are better then before they were replaced. The wheel is solid, all the buttons work, the rim cover is tighter then new. Then I have a set of Fanatec CSR Elite pedals. (disclosure:I have separated the pedals from their base. The base is very heavy. (No problem to reassemble base and pedals) clutch, brake and throttle, similar to G25/7 pedals removed from housing. If so you are gold. If not not, I can reassemble it all no problem.

Wheel and CSR Elite pedals (with a back up load cell) for $225 (plus freight, which you can arrange if you want). I agree with Baked, load cell is the way to go for braking. I think at worst you keep the rock solid pedals and use them with whatever wheel you like.

Cheers

Edit: I put the pedals back on the base tonight.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:54:06 PM by DudeTuna »

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 07:15:57 AM »

I really like my CSR Elites, too.  Not a bad investment, except that they alone cost what my whole DFGT kit cost.  But as baked suggested, a DFGT is only good for introduction to virtual racing.  I didn't think my new wheel would be 10x better than DFGT, but it really is and it's like banging a hot super model and going back to that first ugly chick you banged and not being totally satisfied.   :'(

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 08:07:52 AM »

All right, I can place this here so all can comment. Feel free to voice your advice.

I have a wheel for Boston only right now. I have Fanatec GT 2 wheel. It is just over one year old, I had to RMA it in march. It had wheel rim alcantra stitching issues and the left wheel paddle shiftier switch failed. Both now are better then before they were replaced. The wheel is solid, all the buttons work, the rim cover is tighter then new. Then I have a set of Fanatec CSR Elite pedals. (disclosure:I have separated the pedals from their base. The base is very heavy. (No problem to reassemble base and pedals) clutch, brake and throttle, similar to G25/7 pedals removed from housing. If so you are gold. If not not, I can reassemble it all no problem.

Wheel and CSR Elite pedals (with a back up load cell) for $225 (plus freight, which you can arrange if you want). I agree with Baked, load cell is the way to go for braking. I think at worst you keep the rock solid pedals and use them with whatever wheel you like.

Cheers

Very nice offer there Dude.I am fairly certain that wheel is very similar to the CSR which was a good wheel for me and the Elite pedal with their load cell brakes make a world of difference in driving. A very nice offer indeed.

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 08:38:58 AM »

I really like my CSR Elites, too.  Not a bad investment, except that they alone cost what my whole DFGT kit cost.  But as baked suggested, a DFGT is only good for introduction to virtual racing.  I didn't think my new wheel would be 10x better than DFGT, but it really is and it's like banging a hot super model and going back to that first ugly chick you banged and not being totally satisfied.   :'(

When the mention of cost is brought up I like to look at things this way how much time to dollars spent am I going to get out of product X? Even though I had my current pedals and wheel for a while during 5 we will just us six as an example, I am approaching 1100 hours played. When I paid for current set up Clubsport V1 base was $500, BMW rim (cheapest at the time) was $250 and Clubsport pedals were $300 grand total of $1050 plus shipping. As I already said that number in dollars is a bit less than the # of hours I have in 6. We can say five covered some of it and likely covered the shipping costs to where I am under a dollar an hour for something I find my myself doing several hours a week. Going out to eat will cost you more than a dollar an hour, cable will cost you more than that as well, going to the movies is more expensive based on the dollars to time ratio. I have raced go karts and it is substantially more expensive. I used to play competitive tennis in several local leagues many times playing in up to four leagues at once it was more expensive than my online racing.

I know I have left off the cost of the console, my rig and internet service as well as the price of the software but even if I went through and added it all up and could count up all the hours in GT5p, GT5, GT6 and now in Asetto Corsa I am still less than a dollar an hour. My tower is my kids old one that I reformatted and got rid of everything but racing stuff, they passed it along to me when we got both of them new high quality gaming computers as a present for Xmas either last year on the year before. My rig is home made so I could save money where I can and spend money on the things I cannot make or provide without the technical level needed to make them. Doing as much as I can myself lets me spend more on the stuff that really matters. Lets face it basically a rig is just a seat and a stand we are all capable of building a seat and a stand. Especially if you have folks around to help with it or just use your own skills and knowledge in a new application.

Feel like I am ranting now but I wanted to make a point about what we truly spend on what we love to do can not just be lessened to be cheaper but can be lessened to funnel those saved dollars right back into what we love to do. And to make a point about how cheap this hobby is with dollars/hours spent driving in mind.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 09:38:48 AM »

that's a good analytical way to look at it ;)

Might that be part of the reason the wife was so awesome about it?  LOL  I know that's how I justify it to people when they see my setup.  Most just get a console and a TV, maybe a soundbar.  But if it is more than a gaming system to you, but an outlet for you to connect to your hobby (especially one that can be expensive), then it really is about the time to dollars ratio.

Another important aspect is the comfort and ergonomics of your setup compared to cost, hours and potential of injury and chronic pain that can arise from a poor setup.

For me, I've prioritized things in bits and pieces, and have replaced devices that cause any pain after I can isolate that a pain is being caused or worsened by it.

My computer chair is the next thing to go (though not used in my racing rig thanks to a nifty design by Baked)

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 09:54:59 AM »

Dollars to hours spent is something I had done long before meeting her but I was still a chintzy old prick about things even when I was young. She has made me more willing to accept a larger value on the dollar side of the ratio.

Little tip the bottom of the seat back and the seat itself is just enough room for a sock filled with rice when sitting in it. Make a pair of them so they can be rotated, in the summer throw them in the freezer then place one of them in that little gap. In the winter microwave them for a minute and half and put them in that gap. Will cool you down or warm you up. Not quite the same way Mercedes does it for their climate controlled seats but still effective. The heated rice will also keep your back from tightening up something the cold weather does to my back every year but so does driving in anything for hours at a time real or sim driving.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 02:56:29 PM »

You know, Baked...  that reminds me I think a stoner might have heard you say that when we met to pick up the rig.  I forgot about it until you just reminded me, so thanks!

The best thing for me so far (chronic pain related) is to make sure the seat position is exactly right.  Finding the right feet, ass, back, head, arm, and wheel positions and having it all work well to be slid in/out of front of the TV/workstation, has been challenging indeed.

I know... 1st world problems... it's almost embarrassing to complain about such things

The good thing is that you designed this to be able to be adjusted, like seat, shelf and footrests.  Definitely glad you did.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 12:29:30 AM »

Too bad fanatec doesn't have the xl bundles anymore.  You used to be able to get the GT wheel with shifters and elite pedals for something like $250 dollars.  They also had a setup for the CSR wheel but I forget how much that one cost.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up