SupaTunaGT

• March 28, 2024, 05:31:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Path of the Tuna  (Read 4739 times)

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
The Path of the Tuna
« on: October 13, 2015, 11:50:52 AM »

I don't know how many of us are using the GT6 Track Path Editor but I thought it might be a goos idea to set up a thread to discuss, share, and/or request user created tracks and not have them get lost in the main GT6 discussion thread.

So post what you got.  Find a track you like let everyone know. Got a track to share post hear.  Don't have the app but would like a track made, let us know, perhaps a fellow Tuna can make it.

I'll start things up with what I've got:

Up for Sharing I've got the following Tracks.

1. 1909 Indy Road course - which is based on a surveyors sketch and artist rendition of the original proposed road course that would also use a large portion of the main oval.  As history shows it was never built.  I had to take a few liberties with this one.  The track width varies and there were three sections of track that were within close proximity to each other. So I used a default of 50ft width to keep the oval portion as close as possible and I put the three segments as close to their correct locations as possible.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/user/#!/mypage/course/1231959/

2. 1980s Riverside International Raceway (NASCAR layout) - the esses still need work but the track is pretty close to scale. Its about .05 miles too long. Also the start finish is on the back stretch due to app limitations. I eventually want to try the other track layouts.

3. LimeRock Park (original).  I used Google earth to get a scale map.  The kink in no name straight is either off or elevation change has distorted the feel of it.  Based on the 2008 survey of the Track the length is 1.5 miles, mine is just under that at 1.48 miles.  The lack of the hills might account for some of that distance.  Also I've placed the curbs in line with the real track.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/user/#!/mypage/course/1493177/

4. Portland International Raceway (no chicane)  - About the same as the situation with limerock above.  Except I had to alter the last turn before the back stretch.  It was too sharp and oddly shaped so I tried my best to at least maintain the basic driving line of the turn.  Also within a few hundredths of the real track.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/user/#!/mypage/course/1361814/

Other than those I've played around and made a few fantasy tracks.

1. Black Forest - which is loosely based on a track from an old Super Nintendo Game.
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/user/#!/mypage/course/1220331/

2. Duck - which is based on the outline of a duck shaped lake a few miles from my home.
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/user/#!/mypage/course/1361389/

Finally at the moment I hope to do some more work on improving Riverside and its other configurations and I may start work on my own Sebring and Road Atlanta.

Updated with links
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 11:44:05 AM by dlrws6 »

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
Re: The Path of the Tuna
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 01:37:07 PM »

I got this from someone on GTP, and the flow is awesome. It is P2P, so no laps which can be a little annoying.
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/user/#!/mypage/course/1403566/

I made this yesterday, and like the way it turned out. Tweaked it a couple times, as some of the bumps were crash inducing. You can hit it pretty hard now.
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/user/#!/mypage/course/1409126/

I was killing this track in my RB Jr.
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/user/#!/mypage/course/1224966/

Hopefully those links work.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

nosoks

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 04:18:51 PM »

I was right about "enjoying others efforts", thanks everyone who's sharing. There's some real talent showing up now people are getting it figured out
If everyone follows rule #1 we'd need no other rules
Rule #1 = Pay attention

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 10:05:31 AM »

I don't know if any of you guys have run the Asphalt Rally track I made, but it is by far my favorite. I've run 4-5 different cars there, mostly rally, but have the fastest lap, a hairy one, in a race prepped 458 on RH tires.

I usually run SM tires on the rally cars, as anything else seems to be too much grip on pavement.

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 07:42:20 PM »

I'll have to give it a try next time I'm on.  Lately I've been researching images to build a smaller better more accurate Riverside.

I advise for those wanting to make an replica of a real track to not use the black and white line drawings of the tracks found on the various wiki pages.  I've been comparing them to google earth images and some of them don't come close.

So far I've found Google earth to be the best reference for modern race tracks.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 06:55:39 PM »

when you race homemade tracks online, right now at least, some players get small or big freezes.  I've gotten many micro-freezes of a split second, but still annoying.  MasterGT was getting some 3-4 second freezes, totally changing the race of course.  Hopefully this gets fixed.

Just an FYI for race planning...

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 11:30:28 AM »

I don't know if any of you guys have run the Asphalt Rally track I made, but it is by far my favorite. I've run 4-5 different cars there, mostly rally, but have the fastest lap, a hairy one, in a race prepped 458 on RH tires.

I usually run SM tires on the rally cars, as anything else seems to be too much grip on pavement.

That is a pretty fun Track Chrome.  I like the use of the small jumps.  Have you thought about doing something similar but shorter distance and in a more compact area? I'm thinking more of the scale of a rally cross or trophy truck track.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 11:43:28 AM »

Try this one, it was my first attempt at a bumpy track...
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/user/#!/mypage/course/1229446/

It's called Bumpy, and is laid out like many stadium truck tracks use to be.

I may try another. The problem though, GT's physics don't really like to get tossed around. I had to tone down Asphalt Rally a good bit, because alot of it was undriveable, even though the bumps weren't that bad. There were just too many in line of each other, and the car would just go crazy.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:51:01 AM by ChromeTuna »

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 07:21:30 PM »

My latest creation, Complicated Strand...
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/user/#!/mypage/course/1503230/
Dedicated to one of my favorite GT tracks, Complex String. I've got hours in the recreation, and pretty happy with the result. Unfortunately, with the major limitations of the TPE, it's not dead on, but it is by far, closer than any other I've seen. Give it a try. 

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 09:50:35 AM »

LOL @ "Complicated Strand", good homage to Complex String.  Will have to try it out and see if I get dizzy

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 11:41:49 AM »

I'll have to try them next time I'm on.  You inspired me to attempt to make a bump track.  But things when horribly wrong.    I ended up with one steep down hill run followed by an up hill climb and one massive jump, which was naturally followed by a fatal sharp left turn.  I'll have to go back to the drawing board.

I've also updated two of my shared tracks.

1. Limerock Park - I made a correction to the exit of turn two that matches the real track a little closer.  Although I kinda liked the old turn better.  I've kept both but only the new one is shared.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/user/#!/mypage/course/1493177/

2. Riverside - I scrapped the old one in place of this.  It is the original layout of the track used up until the first safety changes were made in 1969.  Its .04 of a mile short of the true distance.  The esses are slightly sharper and smoother, but not perfect.  I think the lack of elevation is messing them up. Think Laguna Seca if it were totally flat.  I've still got to add in the track side details.  I want to watch a few online videos to match up the scenery and curbs as much as possible.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/user/#!/mypage/course/1490678/

I think after finishing Riverside I'm gonna take a break from track reproduction and try and come up with something original.

Brindle

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 06:43:48 AM »

If anyone is interested in my findings...

I have made a stadium track with 3 straight sections of jumps.  First straight was single jumps all the way through.  Second straight was a setup of double jump all the way through.  Third straight was back to single jumps.  ALL sections needed to be timed right in order to complete a lap and would have been great for some online racing, EXCEPT, online does NOT act the same as testing the track offline.  So, my stadium track no longer fits with a purpose.

To make jump, you first need to find a section of the map the will contain some good elevation changes.  From there, it's all about the anchors.  First step is to add as many anchors you can in a straight and move them to at least 40 meters apart or less.  Next step is the height and shape of the jump.  Move an anchor either left or right in front of another anchor.  The direction left makes a more subtle jump/hill than moving right in reference to the previous anchor.  The height is mostly determined by the amount of left/right you moved that anchor.

That's about all I got right now.  The new one I'm working on will take a very long time due to needing to test online after creating each couple set of jumps.  :(

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 09:38:20 AM »

that sounds like good info, there Brindle.  What was different between online/offline, exactly?

Brindle

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 10:50:33 AM »

that sounds like good info, there Brindle.  What was different between online/offline, exactly?
Don't know why, but the car seems to drop back down to the ground much more quickly than when running offline.  Basically, my doubles became single, because the car would drop too abruptly and couldn't make the same distances.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 10:52:48 AM »

Don't know why, but the car seems to drop back down to the ground much more quickly than when running offline.  Basically, my doubles became single, because the car would drop too abruptly and couldn't make the same distances.

Interesting and as we know. Cars will roll over offline and not online.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up