SupaTunaGT

• April 28, 2024, 10:31:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TunaPitReject's Touring Planning Thread (Not a Race Thread, Planning Only)  (Read 5653 times)

TunaPitReject

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Yellowfin Tuna

Ok,

So I started some testing on the V8 class of cars. My initial impression is that, once again, we have to leave out the MR cars. The Ford GT is just too fast. I did some testing with an '06 Vette, and it handled really nicely stock with just racing soft tires. Initial times on HSRR were in the 1:08 range. And there's probably room to improve there with more tuning.

At the moment, I'm looking at cars in the 1600kg and 550PP range. Cars I'm looking at include:

1. BMW M3
2. Chevy Corvette
3. Chevy Camaro SS
4. Ford Mustang
5. Dodge Viper (V8 only?)

That's as far as I've gotten with my testing so far. Don't have any hard and fast data yet. This is in the initial planning stages. So if you have thoughts on V8 (or higher) touring cars, let me know. I need more info on the European V8's out there.

Thanks,

MS

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna

Sounds interesting, as far as other V8s go off the top of my head there's the Jag XK Coupe Luxury and probably other jags, Aston Martin V8 Vantage and maybe others, also could look at Mercedes-Benz too (if not Premium then I'm fairly sure there are some V8 Standard cars).

I'll see if I can find and test out some actual cars from my ridiculous library of Standard cars and throw up some names / times :).  Are those definitive numbers for weight and PP or still a floating target right now, and any thoughts on a max power yet?

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

War_Hound

• Longtail Tuna
  • Steering: DFGT Voice: Turtlebeach Wireless

i have some lotus esprit v8's we can test out.

TunaPitReject

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Yellowfin Tuna

Sounds interesting, as far as other V8s go off the top of my head there's the Jag XK Coupe Luxury and probably other jags, Aston Martin V8 Vantage and maybe others, also could look at Mercedes-Benz too (if not Premium then I'm fairly sure there are some V8 Standard cars).

I'll see if I can find and test out some actual cars from my ridiculous library of Standard cars and throw up some names / times :).  Are those definitive numbers for weight and PP or still a floating target right now, and any thoughts on a max power yet?

Throw out everything you find. The goal will be to find a weight, hp and PP target that includes the most cars. So yeah, it's floating right now.

MS

nosoks

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna

Il ove my V8 Esprit but isn't it a MR?
If everyone follows rule #1 we'd need no other rules
Rule #1 = Pay attention

TunaPhreak

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • Do or do not, there is no try.
Re: TunaPit Touring Challenge
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2011, 12:33:23 PM »

Tires. When I initially suggested Racing Soft as the standard, several folks mentioned mentioned that they thought that made the race too easy. I think we've all seen that, while it does give you more grip, that just allows you to go faster. And the softer rubber keeps things predictable in the corners. So you've got higher speeds in the corner with predictable lines. And this results in really tight racing, side by side, three or four wide. And it's just crazy fun. I raced last night with another group of guys. Feld was there. And this isn't a criticism of their event, it's just an observation. We raced on HSRR in the same cars ... S2000s and 350Zs. But we were on Sports Soft tires. I got lapped by the winner. I spun the car ... 5 times? 6? Not sure. Part of it was just bad driving on my part. But the entire field was spread out. And instead of racing each other, we were all (I think) trying like hell just to keep the car going in the right direction. It was not nearly as fun as when I have traction and I'm jockeying for position with another couple of drivers. So yes, Racing rubber is for beginners. But I suggest we try different tires after the races stop being fun and we want to add an additional challenge and see how it goes.
Hey to be fair, those sports soft tires were picked to run on Tokyo R246 which has basically no banked turns, we just happened to bring those cars out to HSRR afterwords, where the track just threw them around like toys :)

And no offense or criticism taken badly, it takes all kinds!  We've been purposely using semi-crappy tires in most of our events to try to build better drivers too.  Learn to use the gas as throttle control instead of relying on tires or TCS!  But it's certainly not for everyone, and I hope this didn't come off snotty/snarky :)
Race smarter, not harder!
http://www.mygranturismo.net/26145
My PSN is PsychoPhreak, not TunaPhreak. You can tune a car but you can't TunaPhreak!

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna

I think these are all V8's. (I also thought all Vipers were V10's) I would suggest looking at a lower weight, but that's just my preference. myGranTurismo says most of these cars have under 550pp stock. (all specs approximate)

Vette ZR1, 650, 1500
SLR, 630, 1750
SLS, 570, 1625
V8 Vantage, 550, 1975
Z06 '06, 513, 1421
XFR, 510, 1975
XKR Coupe, 510, 1800
SL55, 500, 1950
California, 460, 1625
C63 AMG, 460, 1725
IS-F, 454, 1623
8C Comp, 452, 1585
Camaro, 435, 1755
Gran Turismo, 440, 1775
Challenger, 433, 1878
DB7, 430, 1775
M3 Coupe, 422, 1655
R8 4.2, 420, 1560
Z06 '04, 410, 1415
XKR R, 410, 1735
S-Type R, 400, 1800
Mustangs
ZR1 '90
XKR Coupe

War_Hound

• Longtail Tuna

You could be right, I bought and parked them... I'll look tonight.

TunaPitReject

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2011, 12:42:33 PM »

Hey to be fair, those sports soft tires were picked to run on Tokyo R246 which has basically no banked turns, we just happened to bring those cars out to HSRR afterwords, where the track just threw them around like toys :)

And no offense or criticism taken badly, it takes all kinds!  We've been purposely using semi-crappy tires in most of our events to try to build better drivers too.  Learn to use the gas as throttle control instead of relying on tires or TCS!  But it's certainly not for everyone, and I hope this didn't come off snotty/snarky :)

Busted. LOL.  :o

Knew you'd probably see that. Well ... what can I say? No offense taken on my part either. It's all good. The point I was making is that when you design an event, there are many factors you have to take into consideration. And each event host kind of picks a style that they like. Your race, with the tire choice, was an extremely challenging race. And that's how you probably wanted it. If I had practiced to your specs more, I would have enjoyed it more. And that goes for any race. Unfortunately, I've been running around like a crazy person working on a variety of stuff, but for GT5 and otherwise. So my performance was my own fault.

My point is that in my race, I've chosen to use the best grip possible because I **want** the cars to group up on the track. In some ways, making it easier on the driver just changes the challenge. When the cars are grouped pretty tight, a whole new set of problems arise and strategy becomes key. And I enjoy those kinds of races, personally.

BTW, that's why I'm also trying to help each driver get into the 1'11"s. I want the winner to be decided on the final turn in the final straightaway.   :D

MS

War_Hound

• Longtail Tuna
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2011, 12:45:35 PM »

Busted. LOL.  :o

Knew you'd probably see that. Well ... what can I say? No offense taken on my part either. It's all good. The point I was making is that when you design an event, there are many factors you have to take into consideration. And each event host kind of picks a style that they like. Your race, with the tire choice, was an extremely challenging race. And that's how you probably wanted it. If I had practiced to your specs more, I would have enjoyed it more. And that goes for any race. Unfortunately, I've been running around like a crazy person working on a variety of stuff, but for GT5 and otherwise. So my performance was my own fault.

My point is that in my race, I've chosen to use the best grip possible because I **want** the cars to group up on the track. In some ways, making it easier on the driver just changes the challenge. When the cars are grouped pretty tight, a whole new set of problems arise and strategy becomes key. And I enjoy those kinds of races, personally.

BTW, that's why I'm also trying to help each driver get into the 1'11"s. I want the winner to be decided on the final turn in the final straightaway.   :D

MS

just bring a tow cable for me and then I'll be fine.  :laugh :laugh :laugh :lolz

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna

Sadly it is :( .. especially since the premium sounds awesome!

I'll see if I can find and test out some actual cars from my ridiculous library of Standard cars and throw up some names / times :).  Are those definitive numbers for weight and PP or still a floating target right now, and any thoughts on a max power yet?

Throw out everything you find. The goal will be to find a weight, hp and PP target that includes the most cars. So yeah, it's floating right now.

MS

I did a quick run through my Standard garage and I think you might have hit the nail on the head with the weight.  1600kg seems to be a pretty good number, I found about 17 cars (not counting the older classic American Muscle cars) with V8 engines (according to the description) that fall between about the 1400-2100kg mark so there's room for ballast padding and weight reduction.

I didn't check on HP or PP yet but I think we'll probably be looking at around 400-600 for both so again you might be on the money with 550pp, with the heaver weight bracket they'll need a lot of power to get going but may end up with a similar power:weight ratio as 276hp class :).

TunaPitReject

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Yellowfin Tuna

I think these are all V8's. (I also thought all Vipers were V10's) I would suggest looking at a lower weight, but that's just my preference. myGranTurismo says most of these cars have under 550pp stock. (all specs approximate)

Vette ZR1, 650, 1500
SLR, 630, 1750
SLS, 570, 1625
V8 Vantage, 550, 1975
Z06 '06, 513, 1421
XFR, 510, 1975
XKR Coupe, 510, 1800
SL55, 500, 1950
California, 460, 1625
C63 AMG, 460, 1725
IS-F, 454, 1623
8C Comp, 452, 1585
Camaro, 435, 1755
Gran Turismo, 440, 1775
Challenger, 433, 1878
DB7, 430, 1775
M3 Coupe, 422, 1655
R8 4.2, 420, 1560
Z06 '04, 410, 1415
XKR R, 410, 1735
S-Type R, 400, 1800
Mustangs
ZR1 '90
XKR Coupe

Good list, thanks. You can only adjust weight up by 200kg. And isn't it about the same going down? Maybe 250kg or 300kg with weight reductions? So that Camaro could get down to about 1555kg or 1500kg. But then the KKR would be eliminated. You gotta pick a number in the middle there somewhere so that +/- 200kg includes the highest number of cars. And actually, 1700kg looks to be more in the middle.

TunaPitReject

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2011, 12:53:57 PM »

just bring a tow cable for me and then I'll be fine.  :laugh :laugh :laugh

I'll give you a push ...

War_Hound

• Longtail Tuna
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2011, 12:56:28 PM »

Whatever works.  ;D

just bring a tow cable for me and then I'll be fine.  :laugh :laugh :laugh

I'll give you a push ...

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna

Good list, thanks. You can only adjust weight up by 200kg. And isn't it about the same going down? Maybe 250kg or 300kg with weight reductions? So that Camaro could get down to about 1555kg or 1500kg. But then the KKR would be eliminated. You gotta pick a number in the middle there somewhere so that +/- 200kg includes the highest number of cars. And actually, 1700kg looks to be more in the middle.

If you mean the 2010 Camaro SS then it can have it's weight fully reduced (not counting the RM) down to 1318kg.  I think the amount of weight reduction per stage varies depending on the car.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up