SupaTunaGT

• April 28, 2024, 11:24:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TunaPitReject's Touring Planning Thread (Not a Race Thread, Planning Only)  (Read 5656 times)

TunaPitReject

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Yellowfin Tuna

Good list, thanks. You can only adjust weight up by 200kg. And isn't it about the same going down? Maybe 250kg or 300kg with weight reductions? So that Camaro could get down to about 1555kg or 1500kg. But then the KKR would be eliminated. You gotta pick a number in the middle there somewhere so that +/- 200kg includes the highest number of cars. And actually, 1700kg looks to be more in the middle.

If you mean the 2010 Camaro SS then it can have it's weight fully reduced (not counting the RM) down to 1318kg.  I think the amount of weight reduction per stage varies depending on the car.

Wow, that's almost 400kg. So based on your findings, we could theoretically include cars whose initial weight is anywhere from 1400kg to 2000kg at the 1600kg mark? That's gonna be a lot of cars. Me likey.

MS

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna

I was going to mention the Camaro too Feldynn. Weight reduction on really heavy cars can have a huge impact. Most of the cars I've listed (I haven't tested the M-B's or the Audis) can get down under 1400kg. Now I'm not suggesting going that far, but IMO, lighter is better, so I mention the concept of less than 1600kg. Maybe 1450 or 1500. Whatever.

DesertSniper72

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • Front Towards Enemy

I have been running the Merc's (SLS & C63 AMG) a lot the last week or so. They will both get down below 1400kg if I remember correctly.

Also, if you haven't picked up an SLS, do yourself a favor and buy that rocketship. Ran a :59.xxx at HSR last night.

TunaPitReject

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Yellowfin Tuna

I was going to mention the Camaro too Feldynn. Weight reduction on really heavy cars can have a huge impact. Most of the cars I've listed (I haven't tested the M-B's or the Audis) can get down under 1400kg. Now I'm not suggesting going that far, but IMO, lighter is better, so I mention the concept of less than 1600kg. Maybe 1450 or 1500. Whatever.

All good info. Lighter cars are faster, for sure. Part of what's going to make this version of the Touring Challenge different is the bigger, heavier cars and more power. It's a variation on a theme. The theme in the other class is generally stock weights (although we don't restrict you from taking a car and dropping the weight to get to the target weight). Many of the cars, actually, have to add ballast to get to the target weight. This means that you can many times grab a car, throw on some parts, tune and drive. This also made my job of testing each of the cars on the track for comparison purposes a lot easier too (some of those weight reductions can get kinda pricey).

Just something to think about.

MS

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna

Based on the direction the discussion in this thread has taken, will the 2nd event consist of V8 powered front engine cars?  Sounds like a lot of fun.

PSN ID = dawson864

TunaPitReject

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Yellowfin Tuna

Based on the direction the discussion in this thread has taken, will the 2nd event consist of V8 powered front engine cars?  Sounds like a lot of fun.

We will run the V6 and under class for a while, don't know how many events. But there was talk of having different HP and weights for different races. I suggested that we target different classes of cars, do some testing, and then have those other options available when folks wanted a change. This is the second planned variation. There are no plans yet to run this race. It's still in the development phase. But thanks. Input is welcome.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna

Here's a list of the Standard V8s that I've got with weight / pp according to myGranturismo.net ..

Holden Commodore SS '04                         - 455pp, 334 HP, 1658kg
Holden Monaro CV8 '04                             - 452pp, 334 HP, 1658 kg
Mercedes CLK 55 AMG '00                         - 464pp, 353 HP, 1620 kg
Mercedes E 55 AMG '02                            - 489pp, 477 HP, 1910 kg
Mercedes SL 500 (R129) '98                      - 429pp, 307 HP, 1800 kg
Mercedes SL 500 (R230) '02                      - 445pp, 307 HP, 1840 kg
Audi S4 '03                                            - 463pp, 345 HP, 1660 kg
Audi RS 6 '02                                         - 482pp, 468 HP, 1840 kg
Aston Martin V8 Vantage '99                    - 502pp, 553 HP, 1970 kg
Jaguar S-TYPE R '02                               - 474pp, 406 HP, 1800 kg
Jaguar XFR '10                                       - 488pp, 513 HP, 1960 kg
Jaguar XKR Coupe '99                              - 468pp, 377 HP, 1640 kg
Jaguar XKR R Performance '02                   -   ??pp, 408 HP, 1735 kg
Jenson Interceptor MkIII '74                     - 466pp, 392 HP, 1814 kg
Chrysler 300C '05                                   -   ??pp, 346 HP, 1878 kg
Chevrolet Camaro SS '00                         - 451pp, 325 HP, 1560 kg
Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe '97              - 434pp, 290 HP, 1561 kg
Chevrolet Corvette GRAND SPORT (C4) '96 - 458pp, 336 HP, 1496 kg
Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 (C4) '90             - 467pp, 386 HP, 1600 kg
Pontiac GTO 5.7 Coupe '04                      - 464pp, 356 HP, 1690 kg

I'm sure there are a few more besides that but those are the ones I have so far, judging by the weights I think 1600kg isn't a bad number to aim because there's only a few cars that would need up to 104kg ballast added and the rest should need just a stage 1 or stage 2 weight reduction which I think is a similar spread to the 1300kg class for the other event.

Again just going on those basic numbers I'm thinking that maybe 550pp and 550-600hp could be around the general area to aim for, maybe even 600 for both but it'll become clearer once we get some actual testing number put up :).

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

TunaPitReject

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Yellowfin Tuna

Great list Feld. How can you tell if they are a V8 on myGrandTurismo.net?

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna

Great list Feld. How can you tell if they are a V8 on myGrandTurismo.net?

I don't think you can.. I went through my garage checking the descriptions of cars in the general area of what we were looking for and snagged the weight / pp / hp info from the website :D.

TunaPitReject

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Yellowfin Tuna

Well Feld,

We just need to pick a car that's kind of in the middle of the field and make that our benchmark. I'm leaning towards the BMW M5 as the benchmark? It would have to be drastically lightened. But I'm thinking that will be a nice middle of the road car in terms of HP and PP.

Edit: the M5 is 1855kg, 509hp and 513pp. The PP will go up a lot when you drop the weight. Don't know if this is a good idea or not.

Thoughts?

MS
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 03:30:11 PM by TunaPitReject »

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna

I think the M5 actually has a V10 engine unless I misread the description :D, but for what it's worth I just ran a clean lap with a Corvette ZR1 (C6) '09 (stock except for Racing: Soft tires and Height Adjustable suspension).  At 1600kg, 550pp, 540hp I managed a clean lap of 1'05.950, I'm sure there's some room for improvement on that time though.  Don't know if that helps us in terms of settling on numbers though, probably need to test a few other cars to see how they compare :).

DesertSniper72

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • Front Towards Enemy

Feldynn is correct. The M5 is a v10.

TunaPitReject

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Yellowfin Tuna

I think the M5 actually has a V10 engine unless I misread the description :D, but for what it's worth I just ran a clean lap with a Corvette ZR1 (C6) '09 (stock except for Racing: Soft tires and Height Adjustable suspension).  At 1600kg, 550pp, 540hp I managed a clean lap of 1'05.950, I'm sure there's some room for improvement on that time though.  Don't know if that helps us in terms of settling on numbers though, probably need to test a few other cars to see how they compare :).

During planning, we should test the V8's and V10's (and V12's for that matter) and see how they fall.

Edit: But yeah, you're right, the car that we're basing this off of should be a V8.

And I did a 1:06 in that Ford GT. Interesting.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 04:26:45 PM by TunaPitReject »

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna

During planning, we should test the V8's and V10's (and V12's for that matter) and see how they fall.

Edit: But yeah, you're right, the car that we're basing this off of should be a V8.

And I did a 1:06 in that Ford GT. Interesting.

I think that's a great idea, the lower class was V6 and below so having this higher power one as V8 and above makes sense and also allows for more choice so long as we can find a happy medium with the power / weight / performance points and don't end up with a couple of overly dominant V12 models.  Testing, testing and more testing :).

Also what are your thoughts on the Audi R8.. I noticed there's a V8 and V10 version but, while it's technically a 4WD car, isn't the engine mounted midship making it a mid-engined 4-wheel drive car?

DesertSniper72

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • Front Towards Enemy

The Ford GT is mid engine as well as the Audi R8 and don't forget some of the Ferrari's and the Lambo's. Would be a shame to seem them sit on the sidelines because they are MR's ya know. Some guys like taking down the MR cars. I know i do. I vote to let them play.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up