• April 23, 2024, 01:23:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our new HOME!!!

These ARE the TUNAs you seek...

CHECK OUT our site, BECOME a member, JOIN our "EVNETS", and RACE with us...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: 05/30/11 Monday Tuna Touring Challenge - HSR Reverse (276hp/1300kg/450PP)  (Read 7397 times)

Rated-M3

• Yellowfin Tuna
  • Because race car

I think the lag last night might have been just unlucky more than anything, the last race I ran in (was driving the black Silvia with blue wheels) had 15 people cars running in it and didn't seem too laggy to me.  Was a very close race too with a couple of groups of 3-5 cars all jostling for positions for most of the race.

Maybe we can get some practice runs during the week on an off night or something to test out stability.

I don't think so. If you think about what a peer-to-peer networked game like that has to do ... the more players, the more packets that have to be sent simultaneously and received simultaneously. You're experience and mine out there were quite different. I would only see 6 cars on the track ... when there were 16. I saw cars mysteriously parked in the middle of the raceway, facing backwards that would then just disappear. I saw several drivers get disconnected. I saw cars floating in the air. And then, once I got disconnected myself, I was never able to reconnect. LOL. So on a scale of 1 to 10, I give 16 drivers with audio a 1.

Here's where I have to give credit to those guys at the TPRA. They do a lot of testing so that when they have a race, they don't have these issues. They have known hosts that, through experimentation, know how many concurrent drivers they can handle. They don't use the in-game audio communications. They instead have everyone connect via TeamSpeak, thus allowing the maximum number of drivers without incident. Just food for thought.

Swerve's a member here now. Maybe he can speak about their process in more detail.    :)

MS

Honestly, I think its more dependent on each players connection.  We race 16 people with voice chat on the regular.  I think voice chat being off may improve the experience for some.  What I have noticed and no offense, are the people with lower quality connections suffer the most while others may experience some inconveniences during a race.  I'm not exactly sure what makes the connection better, download/upload or ping.  Hence limiting the number of players and cutting off the voice chat will improve the experience but will not completely remove the problems.  

TunaPitReject

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Yellowfin Tuna

By unlucky I meant it might have been local or regional network problems that were causing some people to lag or get disconnected rather than a general "too many people in the room" type lag that affected everyone.  I saw a few cars skittering around with a bit of lag from time to time, even got put into the wall on the first turn by one guy who probably thought he'd passed me (but the replay shows he was lagging the whole race), but most seemed to be running smoothly that I saw.

I guess what I'm saying is that if we try 12 ... and everyone can race without lag ... I'd say that's a win. That's a better race experience for everyone.     :jimi:

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna

Sorry about your troubles last night Strat.  I was lucky enough to not have any issues last night (and Phreak that I'm known to have issues, lol).  I noticed a little bit of lag with some other cars.

As to experimenting with setup to see how best to eliminate lag maybe we should start by disabling sound?  It's nice to have sound, but I'd rather have no microphones and 16 cars instead of 10 cars with mics.

PSN ID = dawson864

TunaPitReject

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Yellowfin Tuna

Sorry about your troubles last night Strat.  I was lucky enough to not have any issues last night (and Phreak that I'm known to have issues, lol).  I noticed a little bit of lag with some other cars.

As to experimenting with setup to see how best to eliminate lag maybe we should start by disabling sound?  It's nice to have sound, but I'd rather have no microphones and 16 cars instead of 10 cars with mics.

I'm willing to try anything. Again, I'll just say ... a lot of this experimentation has been done already. I believe the TPRA does 12 cars per room, no audio. After lots of trial and error, that's what they found works best (if I remember correctly). Some folks with slower connections can only do 10 cars, no audio.

It seems a bit extreme, but all it takes is one car to start lagging to ruin a race real quick. Ask RIP_Joker, lol.

MS

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:58:20 PM by TunaPitReject »

War_Hound

• Longtail Tuna
  • Steering: DFGT Voice: Turtlebeach Wireless

Hi Folks,

How hard is it to set up our own Teamspeak room/server? I'm all over racing minus the lag....

I have a NAT 2 connection and no one has told me I twitch around the tracks ecept for my mediocre driving... ^-^  :-\

TunaPitReject

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Yellowfin Tuna

Hi Folks,

How hard is it to set up our own Teamspeak room/server? I'm all over racing minus the lag....

I have a NAT 2 connection and no one has told me I twitch around the tracks ecept for my mediocre driving... ^-^  :-\

http://sales.tritoncia.com/ts3_hosters.php

Edit: I don't know what Mumble or Mohawk is ... but looks like they are free here:

http://www.voipservers.net/

2nd Edit: What are these Legit_Racing Ventrillo Server boxes at the bottom of the page?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:36:45 PM by TunaPitReject »

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna

Hi Folks,

I have a NAT 2 connection and no one has told me I twitch around the tracks ecept for my mediocre driving... ^-^  :-\

Technically it should be as easy as downloading and setting up the Server software then giving everyone the connection info.  I've use the client version for Teamspeak 2 before for some online PC games but never actually set up a server for it, and of course it also means that racers will be able to have a PC within reach of the PS3 or at least a wireless headset that's PC compatible.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna

Also, here's a link to the post with some of last night's photos :)..

http://www.supatunagt.com/smf/index.php?topic=15.msg12565#new

War_Hound

• Longtail Tuna
  • Steering: DFGT Voice: Turtlebeach Wireless

Hi Folks,

Technically it should be as easy as downloading and setting up the Server software then giving everyone the connection info.  I've use the client version for Teamspeak 2 before for some online PC games but never actually set up a server for it, and of course it also means that racers will be able to have a PC within reach of the PS3 or at least a wireless headset that's PC compatible.

yes I have it on my pc as well but do we have to pay to have our own room? it might be worth a try...

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna

I believe it's free to set up a private server, you just need to have the server software (as opposed to the client software) and be able to set it up correctly.  But how to do that I don't know, I've only ever used the client software though so I'm not sure how to actually go about setting one up.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up