SupaTunaGT

• April 29, 2024, 12:16:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Around here we're just FAST enough to have FUN.

Race FAST!  Race HARD!!  Race CLEAN!!!   Have FUN!!!!

Long line Tunas!!!

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 117   Go Down

Author Topic: The Latest Latest GT5 Info Thread.  (Read 141361 times)

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
Re: The Latest Latest GT5 Info Thread.
« Reply #870 on: March 22, 2012, 01:13:29 PM »

I gave up long ago, at least for planned races, running wirelessly.  If it's a race I've prepared for in advance I unravel my 100 ft ethernet cable, unravel it down the stairs, and plug that bitch in  ;D

Sorry about your troubles Looney!  Was wondering about your quick exit last night...

PSN ID = dawson864

TunaPhreak

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • Do or do not, there is no try.
« Reply #871 on: March 22, 2012, 01:20:15 PM »

Wait, we still got people who get disconnects running wireless?!?

It happens to me on occasion. Usually it's not that big of a deal, but there are times when it happens more than I care for.

Running wired is not an option for me without having a cable run across the house, so wireless will have to do. Fortunately, we have an excellent internet provider, so even with wireless, my signal is pretty strong.

This is exactly what I do.  Started the PS3 off on wireless, and it was generally fine with BF2 and NFS:HP, but once the rooms got larger and more and more voice chat, I figured it's easier to eliminate a huge source of mystery than battle other issues.  With the amount of data GT5 is passing back and forth constantly, I doubt I'll ever go back to wireless.  Plus if you run security on your wireless (as you should be) it definitely adds a bunch of latency, which will add up.  Add in signal noise, microwaves, cell phones, wireless phones, neighbors, etc, well, there's a lot of factors....

and if you ever want to wire, http://monoprice.com is where I get all my cables from (audio, video, network...) super cheap, good quality, good warranty support, and fast shipping.  I got a 100 footer years ago, and that's what I use for whatever.  In my old apt it made it all the way from the upstairs far bedroom, down the stair well, and into the living to the old XBox with some slack to spare :)
Race smarter, not harder!
http://www.mygranturismo.net/26145
My PSN is PsychoPhreak, not TunaPhreak. You can tune a car but you can't TunaPhreak!

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #872 on: March 22, 2012, 01:34:21 PM »

I'm in the camp where I'm not so sure being wired is that much better than wireless. Back in the 5P days, I went through a spell of serious, race altering lag, and tried everything, even wired. Nothing changed the amount of lag I was displaying. I dealt with this for a month or two, then it went away as suddenly as it started. After seeing a wired connection didn't help, I went back to wireless, and have been that way since.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
« Reply #873 on: March 22, 2012, 01:47:10 PM »

If it was just a wireless signal problem I could deal with the wired solution for races but the signal drops for every device, even the computer that is wired to the same router. :-X I am going to look at replacing the router. Is a 2-3 year lifespan normal for a router?
Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #874 on: March 22, 2012, 01:52:51 PM »

If it was just a wireless signal problem I could deal with the wired solution for races but the signal drops for every device, even the computer that is wired to the same router. :-X I am going to look at replacing the router. Is a 2-3 year lifespan normal for a router?

You've got a PC wired into the router and it's dropping the connection intermittently too? 

In that case I'd definitely go with a new router, I thought it was "just" a wireless connectivity problem for devices down wind of the router (hence previous comment about antenna / moving stuff) but since you've got one cabled into it with the same problems that sounds more like a broken router to me :).

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #875 on: March 22, 2012, 02:55:36 PM »

This might sound odd Looney but have you moved anything around in your home lately, maybe repositioned furniture, appliances or similar?  Also thinking about moving stuff, do you have any options regarding the location of the router itself?  If you can move that across the room, out of a corner, up onto a shelf or even into a different place in the house that might help.

Also have you considered buying some bigger antenna for your current one?  We have our router in a room at the back of the house and had a PC on the opposite side that was periodically dropping signal, got some cheap booster antenna for the router and moved both the router and problem PC around just a bit in their respective rooms and it helped a ton.

Oh also, and I mean this is the most light-hearted, friendliest way possible..

.. sorry :D.

When the problems began the router was 25 ft from the PS3 with nothing in the way.

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #876 on: March 22, 2012, 02:57:07 PM »

^-^

[attachment deleted during "purge" by admin]

TunaPhreak

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #877 on: March 23, 2012, 10:09:03 AM »

Is the router resetting itself or is your broadband provider resetting itself?

If your ISP drops your connection, a new router unfortunately won't help, but if you start jotting down times when it happens, your provider *may* be able to investigate if something on their end is the reason for the drops/resets.

And yes, the internet is a huge, enormously complex thing.  I've had plenty of times where my ISP had issues and I'd be connected, but get horrible horrible speeds.  Tech support would reboot my modem, ask me to plug it directly into the computer, blame my splitter, basically say anything but that the problem could be on their end, and if I'd like they can send a tech out to my location...  I knew it was nothing between the pole and my house, so I'd just say f it.  Usually it will clear up down the line in time, and it's usually because they fixed something and don't tell you about it.  Big ISP's get tech issues/failed hardware just like home users, just they don't often notice as quickly, or report it...
My PSN is PsychoPhreak, not TunaPhreak. You can tune a car but you can't TunaPhreak!

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #878 on: March 23, 2012, 10:39:51 AM »

Is the router resetting itself or is your broadband provider resetting itself?

If your ISP drops your connection, a new router unfortunately won't help, but if you start jotting down times when it happens, your provider *may* be able to investigate if something on their end is the reason for the drops/resets.

And yes, the internet is a huge, enormously complex thing.  I've had plenty of times where my ISP had issues and I'd be connected, but get horrible horrible speeds.  Tech support would reboot my modem, ask me to plug it directly into the computer, blame my splitter, basically say anything but that the problem could be on their end, and if I'd like they can send a tech out to my location...  I knew it was nothing between the pole and my house, so I'd just say f it.  Usually it will clear up down the line in time, and it's usually because they fixed something and don't tell you about it.  Big ISP's get tech issues/failed hardware just like home users, just they don't often notice as quickly, or report it...

Disconnects would be too many to count in an hours time on the PS3. Much less noticeable with everything else, maybe other devices only react to a bigger split second drop. Will find out soon enough if the router is the problem

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #879 on: March 23, 2012, 10:50:48 AM »

You can troubleshoot if it is the router or the ISP by taking the router out of the mix.  Connect the PS3 to the cable modem and see what happens.  If no drops, then you can be pretty sure it is router.  If it still drops alot it is the ISP.  If that's the case, you might want to investigate the canle modem.  How old is it? 

I've had Roadrunner for years.  My connection speed was slowing more and more.  I checked and my cable modem was about 8yrs old.  I asked them for a new one.  (8yrs in computer time is like back in the technological '50s)  The modem was a :fucking living fossil.  A new modem picked speeds up to almost where it was originally.

Still wasn't fast enough for me, so I opted for RoadRunner Turbo as well.

My cable modem is now about 2yrs old and I am starting to notice a little speed loss.  So I am getting ready to ask for a modem upgrade again.

LastLeafFan

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #880 on: March 30, 2012, 01:29:03 PM »

Just stumbled onto this site over at GTP. This could really come in handy when in need of a car in the UCD.

http://gt5cars.net/used_car_searches/new

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #881 on: March 30, 2012, 02:54:05 PM »

Just stumbled onto this site over at GTP. This could really come in handy when in need of a car in the UCD.

http://gt5cars.net/used_car_searches/new

Very useful. Some people have too much time on their hands. 

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #882 on: April 02, 2012, 01:32:27 AM »

so it does work?  cool. 

TunaPhreak

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #883 on: April 04, 2012, 10:18:33 AM »

Dats crazy, I thought those were generated randomly, guess not!

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #884 on: April 11, 2012, 03:22:37 PM »

2012 GT Academy

Although it hasn't been confirmed yet, I hope to have some really great news about this year's Academy. It seems SONY is preparing again for both Academies this year, so if you still qualify and you want to prepare again for applying / testing, go ahead. ;)

The recent financial loss at SONY and the 10,000 person cut seems to be contained mostly in the TV division, so GT and the teams should be safe, for now.

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 117   Go Up