SupaTunaGT

• April 29, 2024, 05:38:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Around here we're just FAST enough to have FUN.

Race FAST!  Race HARD!!  Race CLEAN!!!   Have FUN!!!!

Long line Tunas!!!

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 117   Go Down

Author Topic: The Latest Latest GT5 Info Thread.  (Read 141857 times)

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: The Latest Latest GT5 Info Thread.
« Reply #1245 on: October 04, 2012, 10:46:04 AM »

Don't let new technology get in your way of having fun.

What PD is demoing at a high tech show today is old news. I posted about them doing this in NYNY (a city so nice they named it twice) a couple of years ago and it doesn't look as if the tech has changed much since then. SONY would be daft trying to sell that video/console requirement to us, so wait and see what the PS4 can do first.

However, the real new tech will need new screens to fully take advantage of it and these are still very large screens, around 100", or so. Before you buy a new TV, you should figure out your viewing distance to see what size and resolution is required anyway (your eyes can only see so much resolution), and I doubt many of us need or can actually make good use of a 100"+ screen.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1246 on: October 04, 2012, 10:54:29 AM »

Don't let new technology get in your way of having fun.

What PD is demoing at a high tech show today is old news. I posted about them doing this in NYNY (a city so nice they named it twice) a couple of years ago and it doesn't look as if the tech has changed much since then. SONY would be daft trying to sell that video/console requirement to us, so wait and see what the PS4 can do first.

However, the real new tech will need new screens to fully take advantage of it and these are still very large screens, around 100", or so. Before you buy a new TV, you should figure out your viewing distance to see what size and resolution is required anyway (your eyes can only see so much resolution), and I doubt many of us need or can actually make good use of a 100"+ screen.

Excellent point.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #1247 on: October 04, 2012, 12:54:51 PM »

my living room is barely large enough for a 42"...

I'd imagine that the new TV's won't all be that big (100") but rather be "normal" sized and allow for more dots per inch, which allows less pixelation (it would be zero for the reason you stated, that the eye can't go much more complex than what we already get from 1080) and the images will look more "analogue" rather than "digital".

then the detail will never again be added through additional pixels.  that "age" will be over.  the possible way to give more detail would then be to increase complexity of 3D objects in our games and higher resolution textures on those objects.

A good GT example is that when you zoom in on the dirt textures, you can see blockiness.  That will soon be a thing of the past, where all textures could be as complex as the dots on your tv... one to one.  Imagine taking a high res photo of the sand on a beach.  Now imagine taking that and using it to texture all sandy surfaces in racing games.

Then they could make better use of techniques to make the sand appear to move when you drive over it.

In other words, the next gen games won't be so focussed on "more dots!!!!" but "more detail to shove in those dots".

Instead of the flat, blocky, uninteresting spectators in GT5, we could have 3D people with more complex behaviors and movements.

And hopefully, PD makes them much less noisy :D

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1248 on: October 04, 2012, 01:26:51 PM »

And maybe some females...  Or is PD/Sony a sexist organization?!

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1249 on: October 04, 2012, 01:36:02 PM »

i feel they are  trying to keep it kid-safe, and leaving women out entirely helps to prevent perverts (read, all of us!) from doing weird and nasty things to them... lol

and then there is all the mystery around the one chick they did include in GT.  who is she anyways?

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1250 on: October 04, 2012, 03:55:51 PM »

I'd imagine that the new TV's won't all be that big (100") but rather be "normal" sized

That's where you would be wrong, from what I understand.

They really are creating 100"+ screens now. They aren't widely available, of course, but NHK is one of the few companies in the world that even have a Super HD camera (SONY's?), to create the content for these huge screens. I think some were used at or for the recent Olympics.

So this is why I am not in any great hurry to see 4k and 8k content. The TV signal delivery system also needs to be figured out, and so on. I don't have need or room, nor the smackaroos, for an 8-10' screen.

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
« Reply #1251 on: October 04, 2012, 05:58:47 PM »

Unless you are watching a movie, I can't see having a 100 inch tv.
Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1252 on: October 05, 2012, 05:53:23 AM »

Maybe it's Kaz in drag...

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1253 on: October 05, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »

I'd imagine that the new TV's won't all be that big (100") but rather be "normal" sized

That's where you would be wrong, from what I understand.

They really are creating 100"+ screens now. They aren't widely available, of course, but NHK is one of the few companies in the world that even have a Super HD camera (SONY's?), to create the content for these huge screens. I think some were used at or for the recent Olympics.

So this is why I am not in any great hurry to see 4k and 8k content. The TV signal delivery system also needs to be figured out, and so on. I don't have need or room, nor the smackaroos, for an 8-10' screen.

I mean, consumers aren't going to be expected to purchase 100" TVs just to get the higher resolutions.  Just becuse the demos use 100" doesn't necessarily mean that when they all come to the consumer market en masse that 100" will be the norm.

All I'm saying is that there will likely be an option for something relatively normal in size.

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1254 on: October 05, 2012, 09:47:25 AM »

Of course. When we got 1080P we didn't lose 480i.

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1255 on: October 10, 2012, 08:46:27 AM »

Kazanori Yamachi...  His initials are KY.

Coincedence?  I think not.

:donkey

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1256 on: October 10, 2012, 09:39:33 AM »

From the Planet..

Edit: The in-game news feed was updated around 20.00GMT on October 9th with the following:

Online Service Restored

The interruption experienced in the online service of Gran Turismo 5 has been resolved, and the service is now back online.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1257 on: October 10, 2012, 09:47:09 AM »

From the Planet..

Edit: The in-game news feed was updated around 20.00GMT on October 9th with the following:

Online Service Restored

The interruption experienced in the online service of Gran Turismo 5 has been resolved, and the service is now back online.

Interesting they should say that 8pm GMT, which is what around 3pm EST?  Because we did still have some weirdness last night at the TuTu, granted not on the scale of last week's Disco Fever so maybe we've just returned to the SNAFU state for online :).

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #1258 on: October 10, 2012, 09:53:36 AM »

Kazanori Yamachi...  His initials are KY.

Coincedence?  I think not.

Post of the week nominee.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1259 on: October 10, 2012, 10:14:29 AM »

From the Planet..

Online Service Restored

Interesting they should say that 8pm GMT, which is what around 3pm EST?  Because we did still have some weirdness last night at the TuTu, granted not on the scale of last week's Disco Fever so maybe we've just returned to the SNAFU state for online :).

I agree, it is not fixed.

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 117   Go Up