SupaTunaGT

• April 18, 2024, 04:20:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Down

Author Topic: The *Officail* "Hey Kaz, we want this in GT5" Thread  (Read 19698 times)

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
Re: The *Officail* "Hey Kaz, we want this in GT5" Thread
« Reply #226 on: August 06, 2013, 07:50:23 AM »

No more chase the rabbit please.  Real world style standing/rolling starts would be preferred.

On second thought I'm begging no more chasing/catch up style racing.  For the sake of all that is good and decent in the world please ditch the chase and give us back traditional starts/races please...

Seriously if its because the AI is too slow just force a 25 to 50pp difference between what we drive and what the AI drives. 

I've always felt that this was a conscious decision on their part to curb the excessive modding and insta-wins that people could do in previous GT's.  This is also why qualifying is gone, IMO.

As bad as some people are in the open lobbies, imagine how bad it would be if none of themn had to work past cars on the track... ever.

The recipe in GT4 was, for some:
Take fast car and qualify one lap.  If not fastest, exit and mod car.
Qualify again.
If still not fastest, go mod car even more.
Start out front.
Win on Green flag.  Race over.

I'm not saying it's the right way to do it, but this is another perspective to think about at least.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #227 on: August 06, 2013, 08:28:44 AM »

The A-Spec events are pretty much like that in GT5 too Ex, just without the need to qualify, there are almost no restrictions on any of the A-Spec races so for the majority you can run Racing Soft tires and ridiculously overpowered cars and flatten the opposition.  IMO it's just as bad an error in event formatting as the "chase the rabbit", if I remember the GT6 / Academy demo races they did show a reasonable tire / PP restriction to keep cars more even but that's a double edged sword.

Give people the freedom to run the car / power / tires they want and they'll run the stickiest tires on the fastest cars they can find then complain the races are too easy, give them a fixed spec to follow like tires / PP that makes the cars a little more even and some will complain it's too hard.  And it still doesn't address the underlying issue of the AI, though we've gone over that quite a bit here and at the PSN, though suffice it to say that (for me at least) a better AI and better event formatting are both key to making offline races more fun / exciting / challenging.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #228 on: August 06, 2013, 12:33:57 PM »

for sure!  The current system isn't great, but I just find that it's often missed that the GT5 a-spec and seasonal way of doing races is part of training newbie racers to be able to pass, and to work for wins rather than just be granted a win by choosing the right car/tire combo...

a system that could certainly use some improvement, but I feel there was reasoning behind it, and not just a blind decision.

Oh, and I agree the AI has seen enough debate, for now ;)

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #229 on: August 07, 2013, 11:54:23 AM »

for sure!  The current system isn't great, but I just find that it's often missed that the GT5 a-spec and seasonal way of doing races is part of training newbie racers to be able to pass, and to work for wins rather than just be granted a win by choosing the right car/tire combo...

a system that could certainly use some improvement, but I feel there was reasoning behind it, and not just a blind decision.

Oh, and I agree the AI has seen enough debate, for now ;)

I in no way intended to imply that the decision was anything other than intended.  Yes chase the rabbit does force people to pass but it does little if nothing to prevent over-modding in fact from the stand point of a new to GT racer it probably encourages it by forces people to start at a 20 second deficit.  The only good thing that has come from the chase the rabbit events is the implementation of the difficulty bonus given to those who race with less than the maximum limits of the event.  Something in fact I hope is carried over to GT6.

I’m of the firm belief that the open nature of the A-spec events has been a debate since at least GT3 and unfortunately may never change.  Yes it is true the majority of the events are designed to “train” new racers. Yes it is also true that an open rule format and chase the rabbit events are not the only and not necessarily the best way to obtain this goal.  Just compare the A-spec events with the B-spec events in GT5.  At least in my opinion the B-spec events come closer to what A-spec should have been.  More car and tire restrictions and more laps.  With a little bit more tweaking to the rules the B-spec races would most likely provide a better play ground to teach people how to race and how to do it cleanly by providing time for the racer to actually attempt to make clean passes. As opposed to a two lap or three lap free-for-all that makes up the majority of the A-spec races.

I would like PD at least once try something like the following for a seasonal race:  Street Cars only, 500PP AI limitation, with a 475PP limitation set for the player. Race restricted to Sports medium tires and 10 laps to race in, all cars grouped in a rolling start (non-rabbit chase), any real world or street track, Plus performance bonus.

It may take some tweaking but I suspect the general GT population both rookies and veterans would probably enjoy.

Or hey maybe I’m totally wrong.  I do tend to thing different.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #230 on: August 07, 2013, 12:14:12 PM »

you're probably right that chase the rabbit events do encourage over-modding, but even in those instances, the newbish player does have to pass the cars, or hit them.  At the very least, it takes a lap to win rather than a turn.

One thing I wish they would do better with A-spec is to make longer races earlier in the progression than what we saw in GT5's A-spec.

Even dozens and dozens of races into the game, it gives you 5 lap races.  Whuh?

And they never turned on tire wear/fuel comsumption until the Endurance races, and never turned on the low grip when offroad.

There were very few 10-20 lap races, for instance.  It's pretty obvious who they aimed the offline portion of the game at.

At least the Formula Gran Turismo Championship was pretty hardcore for most.  20 Laps and a difficult car.  One of my favorite parts of a-spec.

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #231 on: August 07, 2013, 06:09:18 PM »

Agreed.

One of the things I always like about GT3 was that the majority of the expert races were 20 laps or more.  The F1 championship in GT3 actually used real world Gran Prix distances as I recall.  78 laps at Cote D' Azure in an F1 car, just awesome... I need to play GT3 again.

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #232 on: August 15, 2013, 07:20:16 AM »

18-wheelers. (I can picture them in London ^-^ )

And maybe a new kart; how about a golf one?

;badair

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #233 on: August 15, 2013, 08:40:26 AM »

;badair

Maximum Overdrive was on the other night too.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #234 on: August 15, 2013, 08:53:37 AM »

;badair

Maximum Overdrive was on the other night too.

Love that movie, and AC/DC does the soundtrack, which is the "Who Made Who" album.  8)
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Up