SupaTunaGT

• March 29, 2024, 08:48:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Around here we're just FAST enough to have FUN.

Race FAST!  Race HARD!!  Race CLEAN!!!   Have FUN!!!!

Long line Tunas!!!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: A request from the back  (Read 5890 times)

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
A request from the back
« on: July 13, 2011, 06:47:30 AM »

Many things happen during races, almost all are unintentional or you just make a mistake (I should know I do it all the time).  :-[ If you happen to fall back during the race please keep going if there are still others around you if at all possible. I enjoy racing with everyone and it pains me to see people give up just because the are not in front anymore. This game is nothing without you guys, please keep going.
Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
Re: A request from the back
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 07:14:05 AM »

I parked it during the second race last night (sorry, team)... I started up front and started to fade before making all kinds of contact... I slowed and waited for Sniper (I think) to rejoin and I followed him and went off and then rejoined again and was trying to blend in and get comfortable (I was pretty frustrated by this point). Then I got punted. Then I was really frustrated. I ran another lap but managed to do half of it in the dirt. So I parked it because I didn't want to chuck my controller through the TV.

There becomes a point when it's just no longer worth trying to plod around the track. I reached that point (multiple times) last night. Until then, it's always kind of annoyed me when I see people pull off and just sit there... but now I totally get it.

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 08:15:36 AM »

It can be frustrating or baffling when a driver(s) pull over bacause they're not in contention for the lead or top few spots. There's more fun to be had than winning. Someone mentioned this in the Sucka Free Sunday thread. Sharing the track with friends is fun, win or otherwise...getting around the track fast and smooth makes it More fun.

That said, it's true that sometimes situations can be very frustrating. Whether there was a fluke accident, dumb driving, or just poor pace because of skill, car choice/setup, fatigue, whatever, there are times when going around the track isn't fun. When you're not enjoying driving, it can make the driving even uglier.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 08:31:10 AM »

"If you cause another car to lose it's place/go off track, then give your spot back to them. Pull over, wait for them to get back on the track ahead of you, then continue racing."

I've seen, and probably occassionally guilty of not following this rule. Getting taken out of contention is really frustrating, made even worse if the offending party keeps on trucking.

I also experience a good example of following this rule last night. While losing my spot from a rearending sucked big time, it was nice to see the rearender fall back with me, and I think we both wound up getting a decent finish out of it.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 08:35:03 AM »

I've seen, and probably occassionally guilty of not following this rule. Getting taken out of contention is really frustrating, made even worse if the offending party keeps on trucking.

Could this be a result of only one car giving off signs of contact? (on non major incidents)

Brindle

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 08:35:26 AM »

It can be frustrating or baffling when a driver(s) pull over bacause they're not in contention for the lead or top few spots. There's more fun to be had than winning. Someone mentioned this in the Sucka Free Sunday thread. Sharing the track with friends is fun, win or otherwise...getting around the track fast and smooth makes it More fun.

That said, it's true that sometimes situations can be very frustrating. Whether there was a fluke accident, dumb driving, or just poor pace because of skill, car choice/setup, fatigue, whatever, there are times when going around the track isn't fun. When you're not enjoying driving, it can make the driving even uglier.

That is exactly why I sometimes pull over, or just mosey my way to the finish line.

RoninTuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 08:39:37 AM »

The only time I park the car is when I am frustrated beyond repair, I'll pull onto pit road and regain my composure. I once parked the car from second place I was so fed up with the things behaivior. The drivers I remember participating in that race were Baked and Ucan, there where others but I remember them, I was chasing Baked and I remember most of the races where I share track space with Ucan....something about that voice of his lol.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 08:41:14 AM by RoninTuna »

I survived the Great PSN outage of 2011

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 08:48:36 AM »

Even though I've not been racing online all that long (a bit over 7 weeks now, I know I'm a late bloomer :laugh) I've seen both sides to this.  Normally I'll try to finish a race even if I'm running at / near the back, though that's not an usual spot for me since I'm mediocre at best, if for no other reason that I need to practice and learn but there will always be the odd occasion when the frustration level can boil over.

For me the biggest frustration is often me, I'll find myself making little mistakes or doing silly things and in trying to fix that I'll end up making bigger more stupid errors and get mad at myself.  Usually when it's just the little stuff it's easy enough to let it slide but when it snowballs into more and bigger stuff it gets hard to see the point in continuing if all I'm going to do is fail.  And like Turbo said it's times like that (for me) when it's just not fun.

But there's always another race to look forward to :).

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 08:49:49 AM »

I only park when my :nagnag lovely wife call me downstairs or the dogs are barking because someone is here...

I prefer chasing someone but don't mind racing alone (being married multiple times I have plenty of experience playing with myself). 

But "a request from the back"?  Sorry but I hafta laugh.  I only see you guys in the back when you're lapping me...   :jollyroger

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 09:03:18 AM »

I usually finish races no matter where I am.  If you keep running you will usually catch up with someone else who makes a mistake.  Last night I just got fed up after a couple of bad races and then a horrible start to the last race.  It looked like I was going to end up doing all the laps by myself so I just parked it.

DesertSniper72

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • Front Towards Enemy
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 09:27:06 AM »

Last night's racing went better than last week's, but only by a little. I loved the car choice. It suited my driving style to a T and sounded effin sweet. Great choice Neptune. The first race was the best for me. The first corner looked textbook. Two wide and no ghosts shooting by, it was outstanding. I ran behind Stepper for a few laps, sorry about all those little bumps, and Wizard hot on my tail. By the time I got around the Tree Hugger, and one of the Neptunes, there just wasn't enough time to get Chrome.

The second race, I was attacked by a rabid Wombat! Coming out of turn 3 Feldynn ran wide and got in the dirt and while trying to bring it back on track blew me clean off. Wombats have a vicious bite! To be fair, I don't think anyone could have prevented that car from coming back on the track. It was a fight the rest of the race and finished midpack.

The last race I think someone slipped some acid in my water bottle. I saw cars doing things they shouldn't and Neptune fly past me at warp speed. I took a second to look at my speed and when I looked up I dropped a wheel and got to see more of Mulsanne than I wanted to. With all the funny chit happening, I just figured it was UCan's fault somehow and was content with my finish.

I noticed quite a few guys bail as soon as the checked flag waved for the final race. I knew immediately that frustration was the cause. I felt the same way last week. I don't think I was the cause of anyone's misfortune, but if so, my apologies. I work hard at racing clean and despite a few bumps here and there or a blown corner or two, I like to think I race hard, but clean. I don't hold any ill will to those that get into me, unless you make a habit of it. It happens to all of us. Having said that, I do want to mention a couple things that some seem to forget when the adrenaline is flowing and the paint is being traded.

First, if you go off track, make sure you are clear before you just come be bopping back on. Once you go off track, you forfeit positions until the track is clear. Too many times I have seen or been victim of a guy going off track and then knocking someone else off while they just absentmindedly reenter the track.

Second, if you're following someone and you know a braking zone is coming up how about giving the guy in front of you a brake, literally. Not everyone enters the brake zone in the same way and it is the responsibility of the trailing driver to avoid contact even if the leading driver brakes early or for longer. I'm sure I’m not the only one who would appreciate a little patience at certain times on the track.

Finally, I love pack racing as much as the next guy, but can we dispense with the thinking that three wide going into a corner is a good idea?

I enjoy racing with you all and look forward to every chance I get to share the track with you guys. The sportsmanship is second to none and so is the racing. I wouldn't trade it in for anything. I only mentioned these issues to raise awareness on the track. I'm just as guilty of making dumb moves on the track, so please don't feel I'm excluding myself from any of this or throwing anyone under the bus. It just seems that the frustration level has been easier to come by lately and I hate seeing guys leave a night of racing bent out of shape. Myself included.

If anyone ever has a problem with anything I have done or said, my firing range is always open. Hehe, seriously, I would hope that if anyone feels I have wronged them in anyway that they can talk to me about it. I would rather spend the time working out any issues than stewing over them.

Hope this didn't kill anyone's buzz.

Long Line Tuna's!!

RoninTuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 09:45:37 AM »

Second, if you're following someone and you know a braking zone is coming up how about giving the guy in front of you a brake, literally. Not everyone enters the brake zone in the same way and it is the responsibility of the trailing driver to avoid contact even if the leading driver brakes early or for longer. I'm sure I’m not the only one who would appreciate a little patience at certain times on the track.

I have not read all of the post yet so I may have more to say later but I want to add to this now. This very practice got me into trouble during the Monaco GT 500 race. I was letting off the gas to provide additional braking room for Brindle who was behind Wizard when the car behind me got into the back of me to bring out a caution. The further back in the field you are early in the race should equate to getting off the gas earlier and allowing the people infront of you to give the next guy forward that ability to give some room.

I survived the Great PSN outage of 2011

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 09:50:45 AM »

I have not read all of the post yet so I may have more to say later but I want to add to this now. This very practice got me into trouble during the Monaco GT 500 race. I was letting off the gas to provide additional braking room for Brindle who was behind Wizard when the car behind me got into the back of me to bring out a caution. The further back in the field you are early in the race should equate to getting off the gas earlier and allowing the people infront of you to give the next guy forward that ability to give some room.

Maybe just stagger with the person in front of you. At least then you can drive off course by yourself and not affect the driver in front or back if things get out of hand.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 10:28:05 AM »

Maybe just stagger with the person in front of you. At least then you can drive off course by yourself and not affect the driver in front or back if things get out of hand.

A lot times that's what I'll do, especially when I'm not sure where person in front of me is going to start braking.

It might look like I'm thinking about trying to pass, but I'm really I'm trying not to wreck us both. 
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 10:44:54 AM »

The second race, I was attacked by a rabid Wombat! Coming out of turn 3 Feldynn ran wide and got in the dirt and while trying to bring it back on track blew me clean off. Wombats have a vicious bite! To be fair, I don't think anyone could have prevented that car from coming back on the track. It was a fight the rest of the race and finished midpack.

Ahh sorry about that Sniper :(, I knew I'd hit someone and put them off but in amongst all the smoke, dust, spinning around and general failure to control on my part I didn't see who it was.  My apologies.

First, if you go off track, make sure you are clear before you just come be bopping back on. Once you go off track, you forfeit positions until the track is clear. Too many times I have seen or been victim of a guy going off track and then knocking someone else off while they just absentmindedly reenter the track.

This is something I think I'm probably guilty of more than most right now, in the fight to control the car I sometimes forget to check the map or look around enough.  A large part of that is likely because I'm still a noob to a degree, at least compared to you guys who have been racing online since Prologue and probably in other games too, so I just don't have the experience and seat time racing with other people and some general race etiquette isn't second nature to me yet.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up