• April 24, 2024, 06:43:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our new HOME!!!

These ARE the TUNAs you seek...

CHECK OUT our site, BECOME a member, JOIN our "EVNETS", and RACE with us...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: A request from the back  (Read 5908 times)

Neptune

• Longtail Tuna
Re: A request from the back
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2011, 12:49:58 PM »

Feldynn, what you described in your last paragraph is the perfect controller set-up. I'll share mine, which I've refined over the last few years.

steering - left analog
gas/brake - right analog
shift down/up - L2/R2
Look left/right - L1/R1 this is very important, allows you to quickly check your blind spots with a tap of a button
Look back - L3, you might accidentally steer at first, but you'll get used to it.
Handbrake - X, you may need it if you understeer way into a corner.
That leaves the d-pad and triangle, square etc buttons as horn/wipers etc.

Regarding following a guy into a corner, there's a good technique that minimizes contact without staggering. When your approaching the corner, before the braking point (which is always different... I don't really use braking points besides tracks like Fuji, just look into the corner and sense your speed and ability to stop, and you'll nail your braking point) get on the brakes, but very light. Just 10% brakes. When the guy in front slams on his brakes, you can instantly apply as much brake as you need - without having to waste time getting off the gas and starting to brake.

This allows you to follow a guy closely while minimizing the risk of punting.

You'd think you would lose a lot of speed this way, but it's not true. GT5 really rewards you for light braking.

And I somewhat agree with Ronin regarding giving someone room to go off. We've all been there. You could start first, drop a wheel in the sand and the whole field is going to pass you. I'm not saying it should be mandatory that everyone gives you room, but just have some courtesy and help the guy out if you can. It's not like weaving 10 feet to the side (if you have the space) will cost you much time, but it could save you precious seconds if it prevents an accident.

Also, remember shit happens. We are all here just to have some fun racing. Sometimes it's your fault sometimes it's not, just try to make the best out of it. Everybody's had the night where they are too frustrated to continue racing.

Neptune

• Longtail Tuna
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2011, 12:55:12 PM »

I forgot to add something.

Why do so many people insist on going full-out at the start of the race? Last night was an exception - turn 1 at Grand Valley went pretty smooth. But most other times somebody has to cause an accident because they feel the need to gain 5 positions in the first few corners.

Sometimes I just hang back at the start and wait for the inevitable accident of tire screeching and smoke to happen, then I just pass the field and I'm in the top 5.

Just relax in the beginning. That's right, relax. Follow the guy in front, be ready because he's going to brake early. And the farther you are in the back the earlier you will need to brake. Turn 1 is like a traffic jam. Just be patient, when you get through the first few corners and the field starts to spread then you can work on overtaking.

DesertSniper72

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • Front Towards Enemy
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2011, 12:59:43 PM »

See what you started Looney.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2011, 01:07:35 PM »

steering - left analog
gas/brake - right analog
shift down/up - L2/R2
Look left/right - L1/R1 this is very important, allows you to quickly check your blind spots with a tap of a button
Look back - L3, you might accidentally steer at first, but you'll get used to it.
Handbrake - X, you may need it if you understeer way into a corner.
That leaves the d-pad and triangle, square etc buttons as horn/wipers etc.

I've tried numerous times to use the right stick for gas/brake, but it seems to awkward to me, so I stick with the old school layout.

left stick=steering
right stick=gas/brake, but unused
X=gas
square=brake
triangle=reverse
circle=handbrake
L1/R1=look left/right
L2/R2=shift down/up
d-pad down=look back
d-pad L/R=hi beams
L3=horn
R3=wipers

Other than the addition of horns, hi beams and wipers, I've used this same setup since GT1.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:09:46 PM by ChromeTuna »
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

Neptune

• Longtail Tuna
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2011, 01:10:05 PM »

Any time you change something you'll quickly want to change it back. Just stick with it for a while and you'll adjust.

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2011, 01:16:47 PM »

Why do so many people insist on going full-out at the start of the race?

This may be because when you start way in the back it may be your only chance to get up front. If you hang back the leaders are screaming ahead without any traffic while you wait for something that may or may not happen and fall further behind. If you are towards the front there is also less chance of getting caught up in "the big one" as well. I don't condone overly aggressive driving at the start, you still have to be smart about it, but if/when the opportunity presents itself I will try to take it with clean driving top priority. Like Wizard, I hate to cause accidents and usually don't try this maneuver to prevent possible issues.
Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 02:27:47 PM »

When it comes to controller settings, I disagree with brake/accelerate...

I map them to the L2/R2 - which are variable; allowing for more range of control.  I shift with L1/R1. and use my d-pad for the same controls as my DFGT...

With that setup I can easily migrate from wheel to controller and back... 

I find the only real differences being:

1) It's harder to bump me from the side and have an effect when using the wheel.  hand are balanced on both side.  Whereas on the controller I can't guard both sides with one thumb...

2) It's infinitely easier/faster to get out of "kitty litter" with a controll than a wheel.

IMHO.  YMMV. 

Brindle

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 02:52:12 PM »

All these different controller configs is pretty cool.  Here's what I've used since prologue.

left stick - steering
right stick - gas/brake
X - reverse
square - look behind (i have long fingers)
triangle - ghost
circle - e brake
L1/R1 - shift down/up
L2/R2 - look left/right
L3 - RA select (bring up RA menu)
d-pad up/down - RA menu select (pick tcs, asm, torque, abs, front/rear bias)
d-pad left/right - RA adjust -/+
R3 - horn

Boston77Bruins

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 02:56:54 PM »

his brings up another point of etiquette that many miss. When people do go off track, especially minor off track excursons the drivers coming up on to the car thet went off track are supposed to give room for the driver who went off to re enter. I can't tell howmany times I have been trying to re enter the track and other drivers are taking my mirrors off when they have not only twenty feet of roadway but ample time to move over there. When you see someone is off track, move over and give them some room to get back on. You run less chance of getting collected and turning a minor inncodent into a major wreck and the other guy will apprieciate the chance to get back into the race.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
I have to disagree 100% here.

You went off and now you want back in?  That's my racing line now.  I filled that spot on the racing surface with my car.  Your car is not on the racing surface.  You have no right to enter until it's clear.

I agree with sniper.  I will make every attempt to give you some room, but not at the expense of my racing line, my speed or upsetting the attitude of my car.  

I have wrecked my damn self because people entered when they shouldn't  have.  

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 03:06:39 PM »

Why do so many people insist on going full-out at the start of the race?

This may be because when you start way in the back it may be your only chance to get up front. If you hang back the leaders are screaming ahead without any traffic while you wait for something that may or may not happen and fall further behind. If you are towards the front there is also less chance of getting caught up in "the big one" as well. I don't condone overly aggressive driving at the start, you still have to be smart about it, but if/when the opportunity presents itself I will try to take it with clean driving top priority. Like Wizard, I hate to cause accidents and usually don't try this maneuver to prevent possible issues.

Every start is different, but my strategy is to take off as fast as I can to take as many positions on the straight before the first corner.  The key is that you have to expect that you are going to be side by side in the first corner so you need to slow down enough to do that.  Other than that, I watch the traffic in front of me.  There is no sense trying to pass when cars ahead are starting to "clump" up together.  Then I just hang back a little and avoid any mayhem that ensues.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 03:12:42 PM »

I think I'll try shuffling my "Look.." buttons around, I've never been comfortable using the thumbstick buttons for "press and hold" functions so I'll probably end up with a modificated version of Chrome's / Brindle's setup.  It'll take some getting used to but I think I can manage having look back as DOWN or maybe X or something much easier than L3 or R3. :)

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

nosoks

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 04:29:31 PM »

:stoopid:
sorry, I know I often break too early, it's cuz I'm paranoid about running into someone
If everyone follows rule #1 we'd need no other rules
Rule #1 = Pay attention

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2011, 05:45:47 PM »

:stoopid:
sorry, I know I often break too early, it's cuz I'm paranoid about running into someone

Don't be sorry.  That is exactly what you should do.  Drive within your abilities.  If that means braking a little early, that's what you do.  People shouldn't be afraid of being slow.  Drive within your abilities and everyone should be happy.  You will still make mistakes but as long as you are trying your best to be clean, people should be fine with it.  To me, the reason people should wait if they cause an accident isn't so much so they don't gain advantage but because it is a way of saying your sorry and that you didn't mean it.

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2011, 05:49:35 PM »

I will make every attempt to give you some room, but not at the expense of my racing line, my speed or upsetting the attitude of my car.  

I have wrecked my damn self because people entered when they shouldn't  have.  

this^

The first sector of the Turtlering is terrible cars re-entering on lap 1. It's the worst part about going there in 'open lobby'

Neptune

• Longtail Tuna
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2011, 06:03:52 PM »

Brake too early = Lose 0.2 seconds

Brake too late, and wait for the person you put in the kitty litter = Lose 20 seconds.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up