SupaTunaGT

• April 29, 2024, 07:54:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Around here we're just FAST enough to have FUN.

Race FAST!  Race HARD!!  Race CLEAN!!!   Have FUN!!!!

Long line Tunas!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: A request from the back  (Read 5923 times)

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
Re: A request from the back
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2011, 06:23:24 PM »

Brake too early = Lose 0.2 seconds

Brake too late, and wait for the person you put in the kitty litter = Lose 20 seconds.

:stoopid:

That's pretty much my philosophy

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2011, 12:19:49 PM »

See what you started Looney.

A button setup discussion? 

Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2011, 12:21:27 PM »

See what you started Looney.

A button setup discussion? 

I like cufflinks!   :-*

Boston77Bruins

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2012, 10:55:39 AM »

I reread it.  I think some should as well.

Where has courtesy gone? 

I know other racing organizations have changed how they do things.  In the TPRA and a few other organizations, you do not pull over after you launch someone off the track.  They continue on with repercussions dealt with after the race.  That rule doesn't apply to 99% of our races. 
We are the TUNAS.  We have different rules.  We pull over if we knock someone off (most of us). We wait for the track to clear before entering,  we are polite and respectful to our fellow racers.  We used to put a priority on FUN OVER WINNING.  That doesn't seem the case sometimes.  It's, "I gotta get to the front no matter the cost" mentality that is poking its head in more and more and I don't understand what has changed to get here.

One last request.   Please, please, please keep chatter to a minimum during a race.  It is really rude holding a conversation with someone,  just randomly talking, or informing us of what just happened to you on track, like dropping a tire in the grass and wiping out.   Racers need to communicate with other racers (you are clear or sorry for the bump, etc.)  Racers also like to hear car noise- tire squeal, shift points, engine noise.  They cant do it or its difficult to do because the air is filled with conversation.  Talk until you are blue in the face between races, but please, keep it down during the race. 

OK, my rant is over. 

Courtesy Police :)

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2012, 11:06:49 AM »

Where has courtesy gone? 

I know other racing organizations have changed how they do things.  In the TPRA and a few other organizations, you do not pull over after you launch someone off the track.  They continue on with repercussions dealt with after the race.  That rule doesn't apply to 99% of our races. 
We are the TUNAS.  We have different rules.  We pull over if we knock someone off (most of us). We wait for the track to clear before entering,  we are polite and respectful to our fellow racers.  We used to put a priority on FUN OVER WINNING.  That doesn't seem the case sometimes.  It's, "I gotta get to the front no matter the cost" mentality that is poking its head in more and more and I don't understand what has changed to get here.

One last request.   Please, please, please keep chatter to a minimum during a race.  It is really rude holding a conversation with someone,  just randomly talking, or informing us of what just happened to you on track, like dropping a tire in the grass and wiping out.   Racers need to communicate with other racers (you are clear or sorry for the bump, etc.)  Racers also like to hear car noise- tire squeal, shift points, engine noise.  They cant do it or its difficult to do because the air is filled with conversation.  Talk until you are blue in the face between races, but please, keep it down during the race. 

OK, my rant is over. 

this^

A very good reminder Boston. Keep it fun.

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2012, 11:42:56 AM »

Where has courtesy gone? 

OK, my rant is over. 

I agree with a lot of this.  Most of the time now, I'm finding myself simply taking off my headphone and putting it on the shelf next to me because I can't hear my car.  From time to time I hear things that are entertaining.  One time somebody went to take a piss and didn't hit the mute button.  That provided some laughs.  Another time I heard a wife in the background cussing up a storm.  But in general, I'd rather just hear my tire noises and the rev of the engine.

I too have noticed the desire to be in the lead after the first turn has gotten a bit worse lately.  Sometimes I get caught up in it but mostly I just sit back in the back and let half the field take themselves out. 

The one thing I actually like that the other places are doing is the no pulling over after an incident.  I hate it when I put a tire in the grass and spin (and it happens a lot), only to find someone pull over and apologize for tapping me.  On the flip side, I hate when I pull over after I think I hit someone and they explain they were totally at fault and I never touched them.  I think unless you knock the guy into next week, you should just keep on going.  This is hard to police, so I'm saying it here for everyone...if you hit me, just keep on going.  Chances are I was going to crash soon any way.  The only time you need to pull over for me is if we're at DRC, because that's the only course I've got a chance to win at and I'll need a drafting partner to get back in it.

There is one more thing, can we please do something about the timer thingy at the end of the race.  I get bored and frustrated waiting two minutes for a race to end because someone parked their car in the grass because their race sucked.  Even a minute is too long, but I can live with that.  I mean it is really important that people battle to the end for 8rd place?

Ok, Rick's rant is over.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »

I don't mind the extra finish time and I actually need it sometimes. And yes I enjoy racing to the end no matter what place I'm in. If I manage to finish near the front that just gives me time to mix another drink.  :)

Boston77Bruins

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2012, 03:25:10 PM »

I don't mind the extra finish time and I actually need it sometimes. And yes I enjoy racing to the end no matter what place I'm in. If I manage to finish near the front that just gives me time to mix another drink.  :)

Sadly, I have to agree, as I am usually that 8rd place person. :(

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2012, 03:48:56 PM »

Boston, I saw you sniffing the lead pack's butt a couple times in one race at Grand Valley. 

I still vote to make the timer thingy less, no more than minute. 

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2012, 03:53:16 PM »

I agree people should try to finish unless doing so is just outside of their mental state at the moment.  I understand being frustrated, but I look at it as you have to make the best out of a bad situation.

during that first TunaCup season#4 race where we had the lag bug.  I was in dead last and still finished (which got me a few places ahead)

sometimes I feel that people quit because they don't want you to have a legit win against them, and if it's supposed to be about fun anyways, then why care about this?  That's just the appearance that I get from some really good racers that sometimes quit when someone like me is unexpectedly ahead of them and they can't figure out why.

I ain't the fastest, but everyone here knows I can pull a surprise out of my hat and beat just about anyone at least once if we race ten times in a row.  If I do happen to get a win, please just let me have it!  Don't steal it away by quitting unless you absolutely have to for whatever reasons you believe are worth it.

My best moments racing have been where I get in a bad situation and stick it out and learn something in the process.

During last week's 90s japanese race, it was clear turbo was going to win, and I was feeling bummed at first.  Then I realized, hey, this guy is just faster than me and I need to hold 2nd or that would be even worse.  I held it and found a silver lining in the fact that I obtained my best lap of all during the end of the race.

On Mics, I'm split on it.  It's really good to be able to have a little chatter that is not necessarily directly related to the race at hand, but some people have horrible phone etiquette and can't figure out what to broadcast and what to keep to themselves.

I say, use mics - even during a race - and then we can provide constructive feedback about when it is too much.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2012, 03:56:35 PM »

Boston, I saw you sniffing the lead pack's butt a couple times in one race at Grand Valley. 

i'm of the opinion that it should match the length of the race.  shorter races certainly don't need 3:00 to finish.  Or that is, if someone does require 3:00 to finish, they do not have the privilege of keeping everyone else just sitting there waiting for them.

In a 30+ lap race, however, I feel that 3:00 is good.  I can forsee some races where having more than 3:00 to finish would be good as well, such as those where we t ry to simulate a 24hr race in a couple hours.

Proportionate to race length is all I ask...

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2012, 04:05:33 PM »

During last week's 90s japanese race, it was clear turbo was going to win, and I was feeling bummed at first.  Then I realized, hey, this guy is just faster than me and I need to hold 2nd or that would be even worse.  I held it and found a silver lining in the fact that I obtained my best lap of all during the end of the race.

What's up with this Turbo guy lately?  He ran his ass off on Saturday night and seems to be making a habit of it.  At Grand Valley, he was a machine.  Before the second race, he and I were running Q laps and you could hear the wind being knocked out of him when the race timer started the countdown because he was running well ahead of the fastest time.

During the several races there, a two minute lap was awfully good.  Anyone cracking a 59 was rightfully proud or using the draft.  In my final race of the night, as we approached the final checkpoint, I looked at the timer and said to myself, "holy shit."  About that same time, I heard Turbo say "oh my God" and I knew he was seeing the same thing I was seeing.  I ran 1:59.106 and didn't gain even a tenth.  I think his time was 1:59.139 or something like that.  I was behind him the whole time.  I'm not sure if he was able to use the draft at the end of the previous lap and held his speed when he passed to start that lap, but from the first turn on, he had no draft because there was nowhere I could get by him.  He ran a stupid fast lap on his own.  You fast guys make me sick.

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2012, 04:07:24 PM »

i'm of the opinion that it should match the length of the race.  shorter races certainly don't need 3:00 to finish.  Or that is, if someone does require 3:00 to finish, they do not have the privilege of keeping everyone else just sitting there waiting for them.

In a 30+ lap race, however, I feel that 3:00 is good.  I can forsee some races where having more than 3:00 to finish would be good as well, such as those where we t ry to simulate a 24hr race in a couple hours.

Proportionate to race length is all I ask...

Couldn't agree more.  A 6-lap race that takes 9 minutes to finish shouldn't require a two-minute timer, particularly because two guys are parked in the grass somewhere pissed off.

Boston77Bruins

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2012, 05:22:25 PM »

Yes, I agree that the racers who quit and are parked in the grass are not very polite with the timer manners. They should exit to the menu screen to wait it out.

I think a minute to a minute and a half is fair.  MHO

I'm guilty of parking my car and talking when I shouldn't be.  I drop the occasional F bomb, failing to remember that I may be broadcasting into other peoples living area's where wives and kids can hear.

I just bring it up to remind us of where we came from and how far we have come.  This is one bad ass school of fish!!!   
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:09:49 PM by Boston77Bruins »

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »

Yes, I agree that the racers who quit and are parked in the grass are not very polite with the timer manners.  They should exit to the menu screen to wait it out.

I think a minute to a minute to a minute and a half is fair.

MHO

I like the minute to a minute and a half. I think the most we usually use is 2 minutes though. It comes down to parked people and Ricks ADD.  :) Except for Charlies Midnight Show most evnets are run in a lounge and this finish time can be changed by anyone.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up