SupaTunaGT

• May 17, 2024, 06:02:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Linked Events

• Sports Car Series - Race #3: February 08, 2012
  • Sports Car Series - Race #4: February 22, 2012
  • Sports Car Series - Race #5: March 07, 2012
  • Sports Car Series - Race #6: March 21, 2012
  • Sports Car Series - Race #7: April 04, 2012
  • Sports Car Series - Race #8: April 18, 2012
  • Sports Car Series - Race #9: May 02, 2012
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: 2012 Japanese 90s Sports Car Series! - COMPLETED  (Read 16994 times)

Brindle

Re: 2012 Japanese 90s Sports Car Series!
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2012, 02:06:28 PM »

You are correct.  A higher number does lock the diff tighter.  HOWEVER, in most situations, a tighter locked diff will result in wheel slippage.  It just depends on when/how you want that to occur, as to weather it is helping or hurting you.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2012, 02:39:13 PM »

You are correct.  A higher number does lock the diff tighter.  HOWEVER, in most situations, a tighter locked diff will result in wheel slippage.  It just depends on when/how you want that to occur, as to weather it is helping or hurting you.

didn't sound like you were being an ass to me... no worries.

i don't have that great of an understanding of Differentials really, but I will say that my experience has been that higher numbers on accel and decel make you need to have the car pointed straight while accel and braking.

with good throttle and brake control, lower numbers work better the more skilled you become.  (racers like fried and other extra-terrestrials, use a lot of partial brake going into corners and are really good and giving throttle only when it's needed and never when it's not a good idea).

this is why default settings for a-spec noobs (which we all were at some point) it sets the levels very high, so that when you install the adjustable diff, you feel the difference in a super powerful car.  Noobs tend to just max out every car they get because they think that's what the point of the game is, and then when exiting corners with the wheel still turned sharply, they mash teh gas, of course it's going to start flying in circular fashion!  WIth the diff setup at default, that is cured, somewhat.

I still don't claim to understand the underlying physics/mechanics of an LSD though.

is there a really good thread or article out there somewhere anyone would recommend?

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2012, 02:51:24 PM »

is there a really good thread or article out there somewhere anyone would recommend?

Anytime I want to read up on anything tuning wise, I go here - http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=204024

LastLeafFan

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2012, 03:15:57 PM »

I'm not sure that it's done me any good but  :stoopid:

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2012, 06:51:43 PM »

I'm not sure I fully understand it all, but I have beliefs that I use.

Initial is a mystery for me. It seems to work with Acceleration to control what happens under throttle. I always use 7-8, factory settings for most cars is 5, adjustable LSD is 10. except for the LM Prototype cars. It seems that a higher number like 20 helps stabilize them mid corner/apex.

Acceleration controls how the torque is applied on the gas.

Higher number means that the wheels lock sooner/quicker, so that they turn the same speed. This sounds like it would automatically cause understeer. What I'm reading here though, with some cars, is if your back end gets minor oversteer (?) regardless of LSD, a higher setting will not hurt, but in fact let the back end slide around slightly, in a nice balanced way (?)

Lower number means that the wheels are free to turn at different speeds more. I always use a number between 25 and 35, usually somewhere between the factory setting and the Adjustable LSD default. If you lower it too much, especially with a low Initial setting, you can lose a lot of acceleratin - in fact, you can use this as a form of tractin control if you really want to.

any corrections?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:55:39 PM by Turbo-Tuna »

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2012, 07:06:25 AM »

These last several posts show how come I can't understand how to tune.  :laugh I can't get my head to stop spinning just from talk about LSDs.
Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

Brindle

« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2012, 11:54:52 AM »

I'm not sure I fully understand it all, but I have beliefs that I use.

Initial is a mystery for me. It seems to work with Acceleration to control what happens under throttle. I always use 7-8, factory settings for most cars is 5, adjustable LSD is 10. except for the LM Prototype cars. It seems that a higher number like 20 helps stabilize them mid corner/apex.

Acceleration controls how the torque is applied on the gas.

Higher number means that the wheels lock sooner/quicker, so that they turn the same speed. This sounds like it would automatically cause understeer. What I'm reading here though, with some cars, is if your back end gets minor oversteer (?) regardless of LSD, a higher setting will not hurt, but in fact let the back end slide around slightly, in a nice balanced way (?)

Lower number means that the wheels are free to turn at different speeds more. I always use a number between 25 and 35, usually somewhere between the factory setting and the Adjustable LSD default. If you lower it too much, especially with a low Initial setting, you can lose a lot of acceleratin - in fact, you can use this as a form of tractin control if you really want to.

any corrections?

No, it would hurt the car even more to raise the accel (in my personal experience).  This is a case where lowering the number would be beneficial.  You may loose a tad bit of accel, (due to the loss through lsd clutch slippage) but the trade off is you are now able to pick the throttle up much sooner exiting a corner.

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2012, 07:36:40 PM »

Fried, can I ask what you did to combat understeer in the Supra?  I intentionally limited tuning for this series so maybe it's not possible but I thought I would ask.

Provoking power on oversteer in the Supra seems impossible to me.  I've got the front suspension on full soft, rear full hard.  A few degrees of camber in the front, none in the back.  And I've got the LSD set to 5 for accel and deccel.  Also had brake balance slightly rearward

I don't mean to say the Supra understeers a lot off the bat, but the front tires wear much faster than the rears and then the understeer ensues.

I was finally looked up my settings (after being away) to compare to what you gave me Brindle...and realized that perhaps you're using the fully customized suspension?  The series calls for height adjustable sports kit suspension only :-X

time to switch?  

They should be closer together to help turn in and ride height should be lower in rear to induce understeer..

More accel would add power oversteer to a car as well as the initial, but be careful with initial.  Brake setting seems fine.

Off my head I ran...  -3/-3,  9.2/9.9, 2/3, 3/2, 1.1/1.3 lsd 32/36/22

Other than that

I was finally looked up my settings (after being away) to compare to what you gave me Brindle...and realized that perhaps you're using the fully customized suspension?  The series calls for height adjustable sports kit suspension only :-X

time to switch? 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:50:23 AM by WolfpackS2k »

PSN ID = dawson864

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2012, 09:52:32 AM »

Daytona Road Course race will be 25 laps.  OP is updated to reflect this as well...

PSN ID = dawson864

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2012, 09:58:12 AM »

this one will be interesting because with the long straights (called turns, but really straights IMO) each car may have a different top speed.

At madrid, I was barely able to top 4th I think.

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »

Yes it should!  I'm not sure how well I'll fare in the Supra.  A very stable car yet I believe it has the worst power to weight ratio of the entrants (and if not it's close).  On this track I was barely getting into 6th on the longest "straight" and was hitting right around 160.  Best lap time so far of a 2:00.132

I've updated the OP to help clarify a few things, as well as the race schedule from hereon out! 8)

PSN ID = dawson864

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2012, 10:48:28 AM »

cool.  I like the qualifying clarificiation.  We'll just have to watch for bugginess, which may or may not be fixed come wednesday.  Hopefully there's an update after the maintenance.

could you also update with where everyone is on points so far?

It might keep people interested in seeing who they are still running against.

Brindle

« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2012, 11:13:02 AM »

Fried, can I ask what you did to combat understeer in the Supra?  I intentionally limited tuning for this series so maybe it's not possible but I thought I would ask.

Provoking power on oversteer in the Supra seems impossible to me.  I've got the front suspension on full soft, rear full hard.  A few degrees of camber in the front, none in the back.  And I've got the LSD set to 5 for accel and deccel.  Also had brake balance slightly rearward

I don't mean to say the Supra understeers a lot off the bat, but the front tires wear much faster than the rears and then the understeer ensues.

I was finally looked up my settings (after being away) to compare to what you gave me Brindle...and realized that perhaps you're using the fully customized suspension?  The series calls for height adjustable sports kit suspension only :-X

time to switch?  

They should be closer together to help turn in and ride height should be lower in rear to induce understeer..

More accel would add power oversteer to a car as well as the initial, but be careful with initial.  Brake setting seems fine.

Off my head I ran...  -3/-3,  9.2/9.9, 2/3, 3/2, 1.1/1.3 lsd 32/36/22

Other than that

I was finally looked up my settings (after being away) to compare to what you gave me Brindle...and realized that perhaps you're using the fully customized suspension?  The series calls for height adjustable sports kit suspension only :-X

time to switch? 

Nope, height adjust only.  height -3/-3, spring 9.2/9.9, damp 2/3, 3/2, camber 1.1/1.3

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2012, 11:25:56 AM »

Hmmm, I wonder if we have slightly different Supra RZs?  I didn't mean to make false accusations, but with the height adjustable suspension I cannot adjust to the spring rates you say you're using. ???  :-\  That is utterly bizarre.  I'll recheck tonight I guess, though I had the screen up last night and looked :-X

eXxBoxFan, I am going to post that up today.  I apologize for not doing sooner.  I've been away most of the last week so I was a bit behind.  Please forgive me  ;D

PSN ID = dawson864

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2012, 11:28:11 AM »

I've been away most of the last week so I was a bit behind.  Please forgive me  ;D

Weren't you rubbing elbows with :mono ?

:lmao
Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24   Go Up