• May 17, 2024, 08:21:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our new HOME!!!

These ARE the TUNAs you seek...

CHECK OUT our site, BECOME a member, JOIN our "EVNETS", and RACE with us...

Linked Events

• Sports Car Series - Race #3: February 08, 2012
  • Sports Car Series - Race #4: February 22, 2012
  • Sports Car Series - Race #5: March 07, 2012
  • Sports Car Series - Race #6: March 21, 2012
  • Sports Car Series - Race #7: April 04, 2012
  • Sports Car Series - Race #8: April 18, 2012
  • Sports Car Series - Race #9: May 02, 2012
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: 2012 Japanese 90s Sports Car Series! - COMPLETED  (Read 17026 times)

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
Re: 2012 Japanese 90s Sports Car Series! (updated 3-23-12)
« Reply #270 on: March 23, 2012, 09:00:25 AM »

I'm very sorry to see you go LLF as you are in "my league".  :'( I do however understand your frustration as I often get in the same boat as you were last night. If you are behind, and by yourself all fun quickly drains. Like yourself, my practice is very limited for these evnets. (That family thing really does add unneeded pressure etc) I am only able to get in about 30 minutes of practice for any race I get into, and I try to tune but I just have not "gotten it" yet :(. I am not good enough to be at the top because of those things, so I don't expect to be there and that is ok. I just hope to be competitive, not ruin anyone else's race and to be able to race with someone, no matter where. That is what makes racing truly fun for me.
Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #271 on: March 23, 2012, 09:49:09 AM »

Yeah, not a flawless race Wolfy, but very good. You got some wall a few times too, but didn't really hurt much. I think we all rubbed the walls more than we would have liked. This difference in this race though was how fast you were on fresh tires. That created a gap that took too long to close, and by the time we closed it, it was either too late or didn't matter, or we didn't execute well enough. It was my third race in the series, probably the most fun.

TunaPhreak

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • Do or do not, there is no try.
Re: 2012 Japanese 90s Sports Car Series! (updated 3-16-12)
« Reply #272 on: March 23, 2012, 09:59:30 AM »

I am switching to another car if that's still okay.  I'm not going to listen to any more bitching about the NSX.  I'm getting pretty sick of it.
If you want to switch for a more personal challenge (I'd say you're def one of the fastest in this group) then I say go for it.  Sick of people bitching about the NSX though?  Who?  Someone will always have something to bitch about, and someone will ALWAYS bitch about the NSX :P

LLF, sorry to see you go, but definitely understand your logic.  Really hope to see you in other fun evnets though that require less planning!  I too often get too little time to practice/setup for these races, usually limited to an hour or so the night before.  I came in with NO pit strategy, and that really hurt my placement.  I've also gotten used to non-city courses so I pitted way before necessary, thinking I shouldn't run my front tires down too far, not thinking that there's walls, and if I blow a turn, I'll bounce and lose a sec maybe, not 15-20 like an entire pit stop.

After running 42 laps, I knew exactly how I wished I tuned the car.  I made a few minor adjustments and ran a practice 15 lap race solo.  I was able to keep tires for all 15 laps, keep them more balanced, and times went from about 8 laps in the 15's (still can't put a 14 down in this car no matter what I tried) and only got into the 19's by the 15th lap, so I know I blew this one on my own.

Ahhh hindsight, if I knew then what I knew now....

But again, great racing by the guys up front as expected, and looking forward to whatever may come next, I'll really need to start practicing if I have hopes of retaining a podium spot at the finish of the season.  Honestly, I'm pretty sure I'd be lower on that list already had I not been one of the few to make every single race...  Whatever, it's all fun I hope, and I personally couldn't ask for a better group of dudes to race with!
Race smarter, not harder!
http://www.mygranturismo.net/26145
My PSN is PsychoPhreak, not TunaPhreak. You can tune a car but you can't TunaPhreak!

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #273 on: March 23, 2012, 11:34:17 AM »

LLF, I'm sorry to see you exit the series as well.  You have good reasons, so of course it is totally understandable.

As far as vehicle preparation goes regarding tunes, I intentionally limited what tuning could be done to these cars to prevent problems like this.  The sport suspension eliminates a huge chunk of tuning adjustability, as does the stock transmission with fixed ratios.  For me personally I really just find one tune and stick with it for all the races.  The only thing I really spend much time adjusting track to track is the LSD (and that's only if I don't like the way the car performs at the track in practice.  If I like it right off the bat I don't touch anything).  Then it's just a matter of determining maximum tire life and craft a pit strategy. In your case LLF I'm sorry it wasn't enough.

PSN ID = dawson864

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #274 on: March 23, 2012, 12:14:13 PM »

See, even with more limited tuning I'm lost.  :( One of these days...

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #275 on: March 23, 2012, 12:52:19 PM »

lastleaf, I think I tried to go around you after turbo did, but I  zigged and you zagged.  It was NO big deal because it didn't really slow me much and I was still close behind turbo.

sorry to see you go if you have made a final decision.  I'll keep you on my FL.

LastLeafFan

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #276 on: March 23, 2012, 01:01:58 PM »

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I have been looking more deeply into the LSD settings as I believe that this could be where I'm struggling.

I am going to give it another go before the next race and see if I can get it a bit more stable.

I will race if I feel I won't get in the way and at least compete mid pack.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
Re: 2012 Japanese 90s Sports Car Series! (updated 3-16-12)
« Reply #277 on: March 23, 2012, 01:06:13 PM »

I am switching to another car if that's still okay.  I'm not going to listen to any more bitching about the NSX.  I'm getting pretty sick of it.
If you want to switch for a more personal challenge (I'd say you're def one of the fastest in this group) then I say go for it.  Sick of people bitching about the NSX though?  Who?  Someone will always have something to bitch about, and someone will ALWAYS bitch about the NSX :P

I also came in with next to zero practice (maybe 45 min at lunch same day) as I was and am deep into trying to purchase a car (the evo deal I told you guys about has since fallen through because of a dumbass seller that doesn't understand how cashier's checks work.)

I had no pit strategy either, except that once I had a couple guys in front, the strategy quickly became "DO WHATEVER THEY DO"  lol

as for bitching, I've heard a lot of it but i'm not naming names.  I am not claiming to be any sort of elite racer or the best at anything, but I don't like it when people try to insinuate that it's all car.  I did really good in snakeyes' ACR cup last year and I won the first race this year.  We all have the SAME car in that series.

I'd rather win or get podiums in something else going forward, so either I can prove the naysayers correct and lose without an NSX, or continue to place well with something else and hopefully shut them up.

@Dawson, maybe instead of classes or weight penalties, you could do something to even out the weight of all the cars? just a thought.

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #278 on: March 23, 2012, 02:35:43 PM »

at most I have heard comments about a car being better than others when it appeared to be an obvious advantage. I don't think I have really heard any bithcing.  :-\

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #279 on: March 23, 2012, 03:28:20 PM »

"Someone will always have something to bitch about, and someone will ALWAYS bitch about the NSX"

Yep. The NSX is probably the most singled out/complained about car as a 'go to' car by GT5 gamers. I try not to bitch about car choice, but I won't hesitate to call the NSX the best car in the class. I'd rank the NSX Type S (or Type S Zero) as the best, then the MR-2, then the '91 NSX and S2000, then the RX7 '91.

However, driving the best car does not guarantee wins. One less mistake and I could have been ahead of Dawson at the end.

I would personally hope that you don't change cars. I honestly believe it's not the best car. Can other people change cars to get a better ride? (I'm not really sure)

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #280 on: March 23, 2012, 04:12:43 PM »

I stated in the first post that people could make a vehicle change once (though the fine print says to do so after only 1-2 races so I technically violated that rule this past race  :-X )

Off the top of my head both Psycho and Feldynn started with the Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo, and then both switched to the Fairlady.  cecollazo started out in the MR2 GT-S, but mainly just because he was late to the party and didn't have many other options.  After a bunch of people dropped out of the series he switched to the R33 GTR at my suggestion (I figured AWD would be good for him since he doesn't play much).

And then I switched from the Supra to the NSX this past race  :P
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 04:17:40 PM by WolfpackS2k »

PSN ID = dawson864

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #281 on: March 23, 2012, 08:16:08 PM »

I don't think I could beat the guys even with the NSX.   :-X

Metal

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • LeMans & F1 :P
    • HUGS Gaming Community
« Reply #282 on: March 24, 2012, 07:24:24 AM »

well i'll belly up to the table. I was one complaining about the NSX, i know you guys are fast anyway, and it was probably out of frustration with my consistent bad race luck than anything. If you wanna say i suck, then fine i really couldn't care less, but i know that MR-2 is quick, but i can never touch the NSX. I'm not saying its overpowered, or that its a crutch that's a "insta-fast" car. You still have to drive it, and a fast driver is always going to be fast. That being said, i can never touch the NSX's times with my car. For example; in the Madrid race: Ex, you made up a 15 some odd second lead that i had on you, and then just blew away. Maybe its the car, maybe i'm just a shit driver, cause i know i suck at tuning; but that is fine i enjoy the challenge and look forward to it every time this race series is coming up on the calendar. If i wasn't having fun, i would stop showing up. I enjoy racing with everyone in this series (even the ones i keep getting love taps from ;) ) and maybe i needed to vent for a second before i settled into my race.

Is this thing on?
my gt profile: http://www.mygranturismo.net/33187
Youtube Channel: http://youtube.com/powermettle1520

Brindle

« Reply #283 on: March 24, 2012, 10:41:43 AM »

Hope you don't mind my

The NSX happens to be naturally well balanced, hence a dominant car.  HOWEVER, these type of cars do require skill to drive them at the fast pace they can be run at.  They usually have a tendency to want to oversteer on entry and exit (loose is fast), but it still needs to be well controlled to put down good consistent times.

So in short, it still comes down to the driver.  It's never all car, someone has to make the car stop, go and turn in a smooth and timely fashion.  :)

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #284 on: March 24, 2012, 02:25:23 PM »

Well said Fried.

And Metal, I for one hold you in high regards as a driver.  If I was running the MR2 in this series I wouldn't be surprised if I finished last every time!

PSN ID = dawson864
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24   Go Up