SupaTunaGT

• May 17, 2024, 08:51:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Linked Events

• Leaf's RenaultSports Cup: May 01, 2013
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: Renault Cup  (Read 20180 times)

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Renault Cup
« Reply #390 on: June 13, 2013, 12:19:02 PM »

I came into the room way more inebriated last night than planned, my apologies.

Hugs bro:

It's cool man. Sorry I let it wind me up. As you can see from the standings, I'm not having a stellar series myself. It gets a little frustrating sometimes. I took all the contact between us as part of close racing and kept driving. So I took it a little personal when I got called out, simply because I felt I was on the receiving end from just about everyone in the field. Luckily none of that contact caused me to crash. But several times it did take me off pace.

Anyways, I know nobody around here initiates contact on purpose. So it's all good.

My fastest lap was a 13.1. If you like, I can show you where I was picking up some time. (Hint: it's in that corner where we kept having issues.)

MX
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #391 on: June 13, 2013, 12:26:05 PM »

The reason I didn't stick around was that I didn't feel stable enough to want to jump into a series as a one time racer. The combo of short wheelbase mid engine car riding or racing hards on a track that is cobblestone or brick or something was just going to be a handful even if you had ran all of the prior races.

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #392 on: June 13, 2013, 01:23:36 PM »

I am very very sorry about lap 19.  I was pushing on bad tires and hit the wall on the right.  The car swung around and bounced over to the other side.  I wanted to get out of the way - I was only a lap down at the time.  But I put my foot on the brake and stayed there till 7 guys had past.  Even though they were straggled out - didn't think - had enough time to turn around and get out of the way.  So I stayed and when I finally was able to go I was two laps down and well on the way to three. 

After that I pitted whenever folks got near (three times after lap 19) and if I wasn't near the pits when they came around I'd pull over a drop down to about 70mph.

But I do find it interesting that when the fast guys wreck we call restarts but if I am the one wrecking it's all good.  A couple of races back I was nearly a half a lap ahead (after avoiding the mess) and a reestart was called.  As if any one of y'all couldn't catch me in 10laps even if I had a one lap headstart.

I notice similar behaviors at other events too.  If Charlie (the slowest guy) passes someone who wrecks, they usually bail.  Which is why I prefer fub racing over points...

For the record, Charlie never quits - no matter how far behind or how many times he gets lapped.  If I pull over it is because my :nagnag lovely wife called me to do something for her.  If I bail from a race it is to boot some douchebag from an open room.

I am Ok with me being slow. I just hate impacting y'all because it seems you make take this much more seriously than me...

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #393 on: June 13, 2013, 01:34:12 PM »

After that I pitted whenever folks got near (three times after lap 19) and if I wasn't near the pits when they came around I'd pull over a drop down to about 70mph.

I for one would like to personally thank you for your concern for others, but tell you ... I've seen you race hard. And when you do, you're good. You have a right to hold your line on a track just like anyone else here. Do what makes you happy. But I for one would love to see you drive your race and not pull over for others. JMHO. Oh, and as your teammate, I'm keenly aware of how each restart has affected you. LOL. That first one in the series, I was like ... LOOKOUT, here comes Team Tejas. Then ... restart. Sadness. LOL.

Still, I'm having fun driving with ya.

Edit: oh, also, when you spin out like that, it's good to wait for a second to get your bearings and find the traffic. But then all you have to do is get out of the racing line and start moving. Probably safer that way anyways. Once you're up to speed, merge back into traffic.

MX
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:36:39 PM by MX5#98 »

LastLeafFan

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #394 on: June 13, 2013, 01:55:25 PM »

I have never had any issues with you Charlie, hell I'm back there most of the time as well.

I have fun racing and it doesn't matter to me where I am as long as I can race against someone. Pretty lonely last night.

It looks like it's going to be pretty close to 20 laps next week.

Updated OP with results and standings.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:58:54 PM by LastLeafFan »

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #395 on: June 13, 2013, 02:00:38 PM »

Dont pull over Charlie or pull into the pits or slow down. Just hold your line its the faster drivers responsability to get by cleanly. You drive well enough to not pull off track for anyone here or anywhere else for that matter.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #396 on: June 13, 2013, 02:02:35 PM »

Dont pull over Charlie or pull into the pits or slow down. Just hold your line its the faster drivers responsability to get by cleanly. You drive well enough to not pull off track for anyone here or anywhere else for that matter.

:stoopid:

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #397 on: June 13, 2013, 04:06:09 PM »

:stoopid:  :stoopid:

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #398 on: June 13, 2013, 04:45:10 PM »

:ditto

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #399 on: June 13, 2013, 05:29:16 PM »

<quote>
You have a right to hold your line on a track
</quote>
Holding your line...just remember that when you hit the braking zone and someone has ANY overlap on your car, there are now two lines, not just the racing line. This applies to everyone, I think.

As far as lapped traffic goes, I think there's nothing wrong with keeping your pace and line, until the guy lapping you gets beside you...when that happens, I think you should give him the corner...don't hold the corner side by side with someone lapping you.

Charlie, what happened when I caught you near corner 1 was actually my fault. I was distracted and braked late. I was lucky I didn't wreck us both.

nosoks

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #400 on: June 13, 2013, 05:56:20 PM »

I've said it before, I'll say it again........ Charlie is a sleeper, just waiting for the right moment to blow us all away with his awesomeness. Personally I think he's just being nice
If everyone follows rule #1 we'd need no other rules
Rule #1 = Pay attention

GrumpyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #401 on: June 13, 2013, 06:36:10 PM »

I've said it before, I'll say it again........ Charlie is a sleeper, just waiting for the right moment to blow us all away with his awesomeness. Personally I think he's just being nice

:stoopid:  :stoopid: :stoopid:

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #402 on: June 13, 2013, 07:15:51 PM »

:lolz :lolz :lolz
<quote>
</quote>
Holding your line...just remember that when you hit the braking zone and someone has ANY overlap on your car, there are now two lines, not just the racing line. This applies to everyone, I think.

There is some debate about that. I've always followed the iRacing guidelines that require the overtaking vehicle to get wheel to wheel BEFORE the braking zone (not during it) before I concede the corner. I actually do a variant of this when the overtaking vehicle gets partial overlap. If they are passing on the low line, I generally lift because they could slide out and put me into the wall. If they are going high, again, I brake early and try to hold a low line, but I don't let up. At higher speeds, it will be harder for them to keep from drifting up into the wall. So the lower line has the advantage in that case.

iRacing does a really good job of letting you know if the traffic around you is a lap up or people you are racing for position. Sorry if I held you up last night. As you saw, I'm not a big fan of just letting people by. I should have let Feld by on lap 24. He got wheel to wheel. But as we got closer to the braking zone, my lighter car started to pull away a bit. So I was 50/50 on that one. But should have given it. You had a pass on me that probably also qualified as one I should have let by. You passed me on the inside, we were wheel to wheel. I was on the outside, so I went wide and was giving you the track out. But you were worried about making contact, I guess, and oversteered and lost the position back. I don't know. In a points race like this, I'm not going to stop racing for anybody, especially if you're a lap up on me. I've got a lot of track to make up. Going slower won't get me there. LOL. Sorry man.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #403 on: June 13, 2013, 09:38:34 PM »

<quote>
</quote>

There is some debate about that. I've always followed the iRacing guidelines that require the overtaking vehicle to get wheel to wheel BEFORE the braking zone (not during it) before I concede the corner. I actually do a variant of this when the overtaking vehicle gets partial overlap. If they are passing on the low line, I generally lift because they could slide out and put me into the wall. If they are going high, again, I brake early and try to hold a low line, but I don't let up. At higher speeds, it will be harder for them to keep from drifting up into the wall. So the lower line has the advantage in that case.

iRacing does a really good job of letting you know if the traffic around you is a lap up or people you are racing for position. Sorry if I held you up last night. As you saw, I'm not a big fan of just letting people by. I should have let Feld by on lap 24. He got wheel to wheel. But as we got closer to the braking zone, my lighter car started to pull away a bit. So I was 50/50 on that one. But should have given it. You had a pass on me that probably also qualified as one I should have let by. You passed me on the inside, we were wheel to wheel. I was on the outside, so I went wide and was giving you the track out. But you were worried about making contact, I guess, and oversteered and lost the position back. I don't know. In a points race like this, I'm not going to stop racing for anybody, especially if you're a lap up on me. I've got a lot of track to make up. Going slower won't get me there. LOL. Sorry man.

A little overlap is never enough.  I have never seen that in anyone's online or real life rules except for Forgetful's.  What is very clear in any rules that I have read is that you need to be almost level (at least to the A-pillar?) to the other car before turn in.  If not, you don't have any rights to space in the corner.  If the other guy turns in and you hit the rear-quarter of their car, you fucked up.  Just like Perez at Monaco.  What is a little more debated is that many say that you need to have that overlap at the braking point.  The way I read it is, you should have the overlap before the braking point, if you don't your gambling and you sure as hell better have it by turn in.  Again my problem with Perez is that he would make the gamble and blow through the chicane.  If there is overlap, both cars have a right to space through the corner.  The Rolex series is calling these rules very tight this year.

As for blue flags, if you are trying to prevent people from lapping you by running defensive lines, you are not doing yourself any favours.  If you are running side by side in the corners with someone lapping you, you are not doing yourself any favours.  Both cases, you are slowing yourself down and the other car.  However, I don't see a problem with a lapped car running their optimal line trying to catch up.  But you don't want to ruin the race of a car that has lapped you by taking them out. my

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #404 on: June 14, 2013, 05:04:16 AM »

In real life, I believe the top level, most competitive series expect significant (I'm not sure of the specific measurement) overlap at turn-in to be considered side-by-side in a corner. Lower levels/amateur racing require that overlap at braking point to be considered side-by-side. What I said I think is more my code of SMART online racing at a somewhat amateur level. Gentlemen racing of a sort. I often can't tell exactly how much overlap there is in GT, so I try to be safe.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 36   Go Up